Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Top Dog

Default Baskerville muzzle questions

I'm thinking of buying Tucker a Baskerville Ultra muzzle. I've been getting him used to his cheap tan plastic one and despite cutting bits out of it I think getting treats into it in a real life situation will be difficult. So baskerville it is.

My first question is what size do you think I should get? He's a 15 pound dog, I don't have measurements as I won't see him again until March 15th. I wanted to order it before then because we are thinking of bringing him to the vet that week. But maybe we'll wait until May so I can get measurements.

What are some good places to get them? Preferably somewhere with a good return policy in case it doesn't fit.

I saw on the petco website they sell them, has anyone ever actually seen them in store? If I could buy it there that would make sizing easier.

My final question is, given the wide spaces it has, are you sure the baskerville would keep him from getting a piece of the vet?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Behavior Nerd

You really need measurements to get a correct fit - I have a client dog who by weight should have a muzzle smaller than the one she's getting because her dog has a long nose.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

I've used a few different muzzles with my fosters (Ontario legislature requries muzzling in public) and I liked the Baskerville Ultra for practical purposes. It fit well, didn't rub, and was NOT going to come off easily, plus she could pant, drink, and be fed treats with it on. I didn't have a problem popping treats in, but you do have to poke the treat trough a hole.

All muzzles have the potential to fail (especially if not fitted correctly) but in my opinion your vet isn't going to get nipped unless they're poking their fingers in.

Take Tucker to a pet supply store to try one on if possible, that's the surest way to find a good fit. I got mine at Global. I'm not sure about their return policies if you order one online and it doesn't fit. I'd wait until you can see him and measure him and take him along with you to be fitted - the vet clinic he goes to will have their own muzzles that you can use.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I love baskervilles but definitely get measurements, sorry.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

I guess we'll just wait on the vet visit unless petco carries them. I don't want to use the vets muzzle because they don't allow panting which I think Tucker will really need to be doing.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Top Dog

All of the Petcos here carry them, I would try to go in store and fit one. But buy it on Amazon from entirely pets, it's a LOT cheaper, and when I got the wrong size and contacted them for a return, they were like "keep the old one, we'll send you a new one." Yes! I do have to warn you though, not all of my dealings with entirely pets had a great outcome. But Amazon helps with that.

But I really like fleetwood's Baskerville muzzle, best muzzle I've ever used on him. fits nicely, very sturdy, seems comfy vs. the plastic or wire ones. And he uses his a lot.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:42 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I guess we'll just wait on the vet visit unless petco carries them. I don't want to use the vets muzzle because they don't allow panting which I think Tucker will really need to be doing.
I've seen them in my Petco as well, so you should be able to get one there, or at least the sizing correct.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 AM
orange iguanas.

Yep, I've seen them at Petco too.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Active Pup

The best bet is to take your dog to the many pet stores and try them on. Getting a proper fit is tough in person if you have anything other than the typical breeds that wear muzzles and almost impossible by using just measurements. That way, you won't have to return it if you know it fits from the start.

Good luck!

Donna, Jessie & Lucy
www.dogvideoindex.blogspot.com
Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

Bumping this up because I've measured my dog. His snout length is 6.5cm (so around 2.5 inches) and his snout circumference is around 17.5cm (so a little less than 7 inches). So would I get him a size 2?