Agility training

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
We had a great training session with my trainer and Sloan, it always feels good to see the trainer a bit perplexed instead if instantly saying "oh you dummy: this" but she watched and thinks I'm lining her up wrong, she can hit every entrance until the top(bottom?) of the clock almost lined back up with the weaves along my right arm but at that point she blows in and cheats short. So while eventually she should be able to hit that entrance without being lined perfectly for now she needs me and I've been stepping in to the wrong pole.

With some tweaking and consistency on my part, and eyes on me, Sloan was hitting every entrance she was missing previously.

We have a second private next week and I have enrolled Backup in her foundations starting starting Wednesday.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
We had a great training session with my trainer and Sloan, it always feels good to see the trainer a bit perplexed instead if instantly saying "oh you dummy: this" but she watched and thinks I'm lining her up wrong, she can hit every entrance until the top(bottom?) of the clock almost lined back up with the weaves along my right arm but at that point she blows in and cheats short. So while eventually she should be able to hit that entrance without being lined perfectly for now she needs me and I've been stepping in to the wrong pole.

With some tweaking and consistency on my part, and eyes on me, Sloan was hitting every entrance she was missing previously.

We have a second private next week and I have enrolled Backup in her foundations starting starting Wednesday.
Great news! Hurray for breakthroughs and progress!

k9krazee

Crossbone's weaves. We had a few weeks of practice at class using the channels and a couple sessions at home shaping. I'm pretty impressed at where he's at in our little house after such a short time! I can't wait until we can get outside and really practice with better poles, entrances and speed!

[YOUTUBE]5-aABBzjUcE[/YOUTUBE]

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well poo. Thursday back from the 2 week hiatus did not go so hot. Both my dogs decided to let their brains fall out. I even had to stop and kennel them each once because they were just SO not with me. I never have to do that with them. :(

On the other hand, some good things happened. Mia was able to be rewarded by a toy for the first time ever. I had a great last run with Mia doing a speed circle. Summer's went well until she decided to revert back to running on top of the tunnel instead of running through it. But after a couple runs on top of the tunnel, she ran through it. Lots of treats for her.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Can I have Zuma please??? PLEEASSSEEE??!??!? I really love watching your videos. Zinga is looking GOOD!!

YAY for Backup and Sloan! I can't wait to hear more about their progress.

Apparently Kimma DOES remember 2o2o, so we got to really work that today at the facility before and after the class I taught. She also did a WICKED weave entry in which she had to go straight in and turn a hard right 90-degree angle (there was a course set up already from a fun run last night, so we did it, naturally, LOL), so rather than work her weaves anymore, I rewarded her like there's no tomorrow for that and we worked contacts for a while. She really makes me so proud sometimes.

BostonBanker

If Crossbone ever goes missing, don't come knocking on my door. He won't be here, no sir.

He is the cutest thing ever, and his weaves look fantastic for how new he is to them!

BostonBanker

I've been going back and forth about posting a video from Gusto's trial, because I know a lot of people don't like how he runs. Screw it, I'm proud of my baby dog ;)

It was his second trial; he qualified in this standard run, plus Snooker, Jumpers and Pairs. This was his first run of the weekend, and it was nice to see his confidence and speed improve throughout. He's still very different at trials than at home, and I particularly don't love his teeter here. He doesn't like teeters on mats. I've pestered many people far wiser than I about it, and am curious to see how it improves as he trials more and becomes more accustomed to "different" equipment.

The blip between the a-frame and the table, which you can't see, is that there was a piece of rubber that had fallen off the a-frame. I think he thought it was a cookie placed there to reward his 2o/2o. He picked it up and carried it to the table, then spit it out there.

My video camera seemed to blip out during the snooker run, so a friend taped his other runs. I'm hoping she'll get them to me this weekend. The cutest moment ever was when he got half the gamble, then came back to me. The timer buzzed, so I just praised him and turned to leave - and he went back and finished the rest of the gamble. He's such a comedian.

[YOUTUBE]vZw1ErcOk_I[/YOUTUBE]

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I'm not sure what you mean by "people don't like how he runs" but he is a cute little guy. Glad you are both having fun :) And teeters on mats are scary for dogs who aren't used to them...they vibrate more and bang differently...every time he does one successfully his confidence will build. Even Kim who is sensitive and had the worst possible teeter introduction ran across them once she got used to them. Not a sliding screaming performance but she's not a sliding screaming sort of dog. He's clearly thinking about it and deliberately doing what you ask so he'll get there, just needs time.

BostonBanker

I'm not sure what you mean by "people don't like how he runs" but he is a cute little guy
I've caught some flack lately (only online, never from instructors or seminar people or anyone in real life) about the fact that my dogs don't run at Sylvia Trkman speed, and do stopped contacts. Some days I can't help but let it bother me, other days I get over it. Today, I'm over it.

Glad to hear Kim got over the teeter. I've been stressing lately about it a bit, and talking to people who know him, and the general consensus is, like you said, to let him get used to it. When I tried to push for speed in training on mats, he wound up just worrying himself. He's a funny little dog - he's much more of a 'thinker' than I ever give him credit for, and, while not nearly as soft as Meg, is softer than I ever expected. But he's a good boy and trying :D

I love how impressed he looks with himself after the run.
He certainly thinks he's something special!

Pan looks great despite the small space! That serp in the middle of the course is gorgeous! I look forward to seeing videos of her running where she's got more room.

SaraB

Who cares if they don't run like Trkman's dogs?! Who cares if they do stopped contacts?! I got a lot of pressure to do RC with my dogs, both locally and online, however in the end I knew they wouldn't work for me. People need to remember that each team is different, each handler and strengths and weaknesses and same for their dog. Comparing them to other teams is just stupid. As long as you and your dog are having fun, that's all that matters.

Panzerotti

Who cares if they don't run like Trkman's dogs?! Who cares if they do stopped contacts?! I got a lot of pressure to do RC with my dogs, both locally and online, however in the end I knew they wouldn't work for me. People need to remember that each team is different, each handler and strengths and weaknesses and same for their dog. Comparing them to other teams is just stupid. As long as you and your dog are having fun, that's all that matters.
Totally. Trkman is the new craze and agility people tend to get totally obsessed with following trends. (Not saying anyone on here is pushy or obsessive though, lol.) I love her style of teaching and a lot of her stuff, but I am so over following one "system".

I tried RCs, but I don't think they'll ever work for us. When Pan is having fun, she likes to bounce. Even when she's running full speed at a tunnel, she will leap into it, just for the fun of it. I don't want to take away some of her joy in agility just for the sake of her running over a plank.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I've caught some flack lately (only online, never from instructors or seminar people or anyone in real life) about the fact that my dogs don't run at Sylvia Trkman speed, and do stopped contacts. Some days I can't help but let it bother me, other days I get over it. Today, I'm over it.
People are goofy :p

It's like with Mira and Webster...we aren't flashy but Mira's fast and efficient and frequently ends up with the fastest or near-fastest time (top 5 is normal) and surprises the heck out of people because she doesn't look as fast as she is...but the clock don't lie. Webster has structural limitations but he is efficient and consistent and always well under time, often placing at smaller trials (he can't compete with the world team level folks at the big trials but he still gives a good showing). I'm okay with that. We don't have to be trendy to be competitive :)

Everyone has their own picture in their head of how they want to run/handle/compete. You're happy with your dog. That's all that matters.

Members online

No members online now.