Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Pulling blood work with the owner in the room is an insurance/liability issue.
You know, people say this a lot, but I have only been to one vet out of... 6 or 7? That didn't let me restrain the dog for a blood draw. I think it is really about private policy and what they prefer than liability.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I am always always always in the room when they draw blood on Frodo. ALWAYS. I'm in charge of his head, and they don't restrain at all (I squeeze cheese the face through a muzzle and someone pokes), they've never even asked to take him in the back room.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

My dogs have had blood drawn with me holding them, as in countless other medical issues. The only time they vet/techs have taken them out of the room is for an xray (they I was sorely tempted to ask to go with).
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Love My Mutt <3

All of you people are making me appreciate my vet even more. LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
You know, people say this a lot, but I have only been to one vet out of... 6 or 7? That didn't let me restrain the dog for a blood draw. I think it is really about private policy and what they prefer than liability.
Nah, its definitely a liability issue here. I sign insurance waivers every time I go into the vet when one of my guys is getting a blood draw for that reason

Hell, it was even iffy where we could do blood draws on the animals at school because of liability.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
ETA: I have to say that I agree 100% that taking pets out of the room for minor procedures drives me bonkers. In rare cases a pet is easier to handle away from the owner but most people hate it, most pets hate it, and there really isn't any compelling reason to do it IMO.
I love flexible vets. Ours told me to never ever let Mu in the back without me (for minor stuff of course). But she took the time to get to know me and Mu and she knows that I'm not being super over protective pet owner when I say "She has issues, I need to be with her and I need you to be careful with her."

Of course, she's also never lectured me about vaccines or what I feed, or anything really.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

What I hate the most, is that I understand it can take a little while to get to know a client so that you trust their judgement, but how am I supposed to get to know them without letting them take Frag away and EFF him up, to put it nicely? We've finally gotten to the point where he barely growls when things are happening, but if some dumb tech took him and bear hugged him and physically threw him down to draw blood, he'd probably go from growling to lunging, which is absolutely not ok.

When I can ask him to lay down and stay their during a blood draw or vaccine, or exam, or xray... it's better for everyone involved! But some vets just won't give you the time of day to explain that. I talked to my previous vet for over 2 hours on the phone to let her know what I expected of them and of my dog, and that went very smoothly, but not all vets are willing to work with people like that, and the ones that are have other problems!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Legally it absolutely is a liability and the vet is 100% on the hook for any medical bills incurred by an owner if they get bitten by their own animal... however each vet chooses whether or not to allow it anyway. Most cats I absolutely do not want owners helping to restrain. Dogs are case by case depending on how well I know the owner.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

At the clinic I work at, we usually pull blood in the back, but sometimes will do it in a room. Sometimes we let clients come back with their pets.

That said, I will NOT allow anyone to take my dogs from me to do procedures in the back unless it's surgery or something (even then I'll at least ask to watch, if they say no then fine, but I love watching surgeries ). When I find a new vet, that will be one of the questions I ask BEFORE I actually use them for the first time.

The vet I am planning on using here in town after I leave the clinic is a vet I have worked with before (she's a relief vet primarily), and I love her to bits. She's always, ALWAYS willing to learn. She's the only vet around here I've met who is open to grain-free and raw and stuff, and she actually has stopped recommending most crap brands like science diet. She'll even consult me if she has a question about foods. I can't even explain how awesome of a vet she is, and how thorough she is. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that she'll just walk into a room and tell people their dog is fat or their dog stinks. PERFECT.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Legally it absolutely is a liability and the vet is 100% on the hook for any medical bills incurred by an owner if they get bitten by their own animal...
O_o Wow. That's kind of ridiculous. I mean, I can see the logic, but if you insist on restraining your own dog and don't know them well enough to know when they're going to bite....well you kind of have it coming.

I'm not applying that to cats. Cats be crazy.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013