Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I hope she doesn't mind, but I just checked fb and it looks like her daughter arrived safe and sound on Friday! Everyone is tired and doing well! I'll let her share all the details/stats when she gets around to it.

So happy for you guys!
Yay! So exciting!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Also - did anyone else not show during pregnancy? I'm 25 weeks today, and no one would be able to tell I was pregnant unless I was wearing a skin-tight top and they knew what I looked like before. I'm SERIOUSLY frustrated by it. If I wear a looser fitting top I don't look ANY different than before, and if I wear tighter stuff I just look heavier than I did before. I guess I'm lucky my belly isn't big enough to be uncomfortable or anything, but still
Obviously not me, but an anecdote -

A friend of mine is TEENY - talking 5'2 and weighs barely anything. Both of her pregnancies were no-show until at least 8 months. Like seriously looked like all she had was a bit of bloat at 7.5 months. Then suddenly her belly POPPED and then, baby!

I had never seen such a thing, but both of her pregnancies went that way and supposedly it's as normal as anything else. She said it's because her body is a TARDIS.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

Well, the Tardis part makes me feel better about it

I was thinking Jen must have had her little one over the past few days! I hope we get an update soon!

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

MM, I showed really early and I feel huge now at 28 weeks. All I can think of is how much work it's going to take to get back to pre-baby shape.

On a pregnancy forums, I've definitely seen some women post pics at 6months plus who are not showing at all. I wonder if they're more comfortable?

The important thing is that you and baby are feeling well and doing well.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

I need opinions on prenatal classes:

The hospital where I'm delivering has a 3-series class of 1 hour classes. It's free. Each class covers one of the following: intro to breastfeeding and infant feeding, labor and delivery, and post-partum and newborn care. It's 5 minutes away from my house, but it's in the middle of the day on Thursday.

There's a preschool center nearby, which is charging $195 for labor and delivery classes. HOWEVER, these are either a 1 day weekend seminar for 7 hours, or four 1.5 hr classes. It doesn't cover feeding or newborn care - those are other classes, so it's obviously REALLY detailed about the birth process, hospital procedures, medications, etc.

The local Y has Lamaze classes - $110 for 4 3-hour-long sessions. They also offer newborn care classes and breastfeeding, so I'm assuming those topics are not covered.

I'm just not that sure the extra cost is worth the more detailed instruction. On one hand, I want to be as prepared as possible, the baby's dad (who supposedly is coming to these) actually asked me "what's a midwife?" yesterday , and I'm REALLY nervous about the birth and being pressured into tests or being hooked up to stuff and not having it go the way I want, I'm still unsure if I want an epidural etc. But I also already know about all my different pain management options, etc...so I don't know if I should pay for more classes.

(Also, if I go to the ones without the newborn care/breastfeeding, I can still go to those classes free at the hospital).

ETA: And how do I tell family members who have just ASSUMED they are going to be welcome in the delivery room that they are very, very, mistaken?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

So whos next in line?

It's so crazy at work the person who covered for me is pregnant and we just found out some other lady is pregnant also..lol I must of started a trend at work!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
ETA: And how do I tell family members who have just ASSUMED they are going to be welcome in the delivery room that they are very, very, mistaken?
My mom asked if I wanted her there. I said something like "I really appreciate you offering and I may take you up on that if I have a long labor and Matt needs a break. At this point though, I feel like it should just be me and Matt." And then I added profuse thanks for asking instead of assuming.

If you have anyone that can run interference for you I highly recommend it. My mom is doing this for me with my grandpa (he was the second person to hold me and he REALLY wants to be at the hospital when I deliver which is sweet but...no) and it's taken so much stress off me.

I really don't understand why so many people think it's okay to show up at the hospital. I can't imagine that I'm going to want to see people for awhile - I'm probably going to be exhausted and we'll be figuring out how to be parents and I'll be trying to figure out breastfeeding. Not exactly the perfect time to have company.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Top Dog

Oh, I don't care if everyone and their mother wants to come to the hospital. Be my guest. I guess I can see women not wanting people there...but I can more see where family wants to come to the hospital, see the baby right away, etc.

Being IN the delivery room during labor AND delivery is a little different. It's one thing to say "oh, I'd like to be there"...and another thing to just assume you're welcome...

Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Stinky Butt

Instead of going to an actual class, my husband and I watched this Laugh and Learn about Childbirth DVD.

He was working odd hours and so was I, so we watched it on our own time and didn't even watch it together. I felt as prepared for childbirth as I think I could have. In fact, I felt about as prepared as I did the 2nd time when I had an idea about what all was going to happen. He has told me he felt the same way.

Anyway, something to consider if anyone is looking for another option.

The nurses are usually good about running interference as well if you will tell them your wishes about who you want in the room. No one came to "wait" when I was in labor, and we actually didn't even really tell anyone until after baby was born bc I wanted to focus on contractions and not be distracted, but for my 2nd child, we did invite my cousin to be there and I think it was an opportunity of a lifetime for her. I don't expect it, but I secretly hope someday she will invite me to be there to see one of her children be born when the time comes too.

And as for visitors afterwards, I felt so terrible and physically exhausted after both deliveries and really didn't want a lot of visitors. They mostly came once I got home. Although I did have complications as well. (4th degree laceration with strong pain meds with one and spinal headache with the other) The time right after your baby is born is an incredible bonding time. I really wasn't ready to share them and pass them around a whole lot until at least a few hours later once I was in my hospital room.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Top Dog

MM-- most of the moms I talked to didn't seem to get much out of extended prenatal classes. If I were you, I'd do the free one then stock up on some good books!

I was going to do an online course, but then a client at work who teaches prenatal classes brought me all the handouts, plus two awesome books and one for my DH too!!!
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.