Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

I donated plasma for several months to help pay for Logan and the flight to get him. I actually rather enjoyed it. I get to sit around and read for a while, get money for doing it, and help save lives. Awesome. I'd like to start again, I just need to find the time.

Be sure that you are VERY hydrated and get a good amount of protein before and after donating. Also, DO NOT drink large amounts of alcohol the night after you donate. Not a good mix, trust me I usually stopped and got a GINORMOUS powerade after my donation, and ate a can of tun or chicken prior to my donation.

Quote:
but around here, you get $200 for giving
Here I got around $50 a week (2 donations a week, your first week you get much more), so $200/month would be about right.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseWordsAtBest View Post
I've had my face pierced six times and all the tattoos.. but when I got my blood drawn at the hospital last month I almost barfed. Can not stand the feeling of it being drawn.
Oh god, I didn't even think of that!!! I was worried about the actual needle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I donated plasma for several months to help pay for Logan and the flight to get him. I actually rather enjoyed it. I get to sit around and read for a while, get money for doing it, and help save lives. Awesome. I'd like to start again, I just need to find the time.

Be sure that you are VERY hydrated and get a good amount of protein before and after donating. Also, DO NOT drink large amounts of alcohol the night after you donate. Not a good mix, trust me I usually stopped and got a GINORMOUS powerade after my donation, and ate a can of tun or chicken prior to my donation.
... and now I'm back at wanting to do it. $200 a month is pretty hard to turn away from for a college student. Oh yeah, and the helping save lives part

Glad to hear about a positive experience!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
... and now I'm back at wanting to do it. $200 a month is pretty hard to turn away from for a college student. Oh yeah, and the helping save lives part
Right??

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

Sael, do you donate blood regularly without getting lightheaded or anything?

Before I became too underweight to do it, I used to donate blood, but I passed out a few times. I'm not sure why, I was always well hydrated and ate before (I've fainting giving blood samples, as well, if they take a lot).

The passing out/feeling faint isn't a big deal, and I usually feel fine within the hour afterwards. If donating plasma wasn't much worse than that, I'd definitely do it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post

Before I became too underweight to do it, I used to donate blood, but I passed out a few times. I'm not sure why, I was always well hydrated and ate before (I've fainting giving blood samples, as well, if they take a lot).

The passing out/feeling faint isn't a big deal, and I usually feel fine within the hour afterwards. If donating plasma wasn't much worse than that, I'd definitely do it.
From what I've been told (and felt) donating plasma is better because they give that blood back to you, so you aren't losing nearly as many fluids as when you donate blood, that usually causes the nausea and fainting, I guess?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Right??
I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a go and just sit there chanting "moneymoneymoneymoneymoney" while I'm getting stuck with the needle
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Before donating plasma, I did donate blood a few times. It never bothered me. I don't mind needles or blood draws at all.

Donating plasma is easier on your body because pretty much all you're losing is protein and water. You get all your RBCs/iron back. That's why you can donate plasma twice weekly, and blood only once every 6 weeks. If I had a "rough" donation (took longer than usual) it meant I wasn't as well hydrated, so I'd skip the second one of the week and make sure I was really well hydrated the next time.

I also alternated arms, so though I do have a very small scar on each arm, it's barely noticeable. My dad donated plasma for YEARS and he has larger scars, but still nothing terrible.

Also, I lost a bit of weight while donating, which is a plus for m I mean with taking the protein out they're basically sucking calories out of you.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Also, I lost a bit of weight while donating, which is a plus for m I mean with taking the protein out they're basically sucking calories out of you.
oh geez, well now I'm sold LOL Giving them a call tomorrow. Anything in particular I should check/ask? They don't seem sketchy...I think?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Count yourself lucky. Around here you they do not pay you squat.

Their little slogan is "Blood. It's in you to give."

You can do it out of love for your fellow man and a gingersnap afterwards or you can move out of the way for someone who will.

If they paid me $40 a session I would be all over it. I bet I could withstand multiple leechings a week.

I still plan on donating but it's "harder" to find time for an appointment when there's no material incentive involved lol.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

They only let you donate 1 time per week around here.