Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
Wait until tomorrow. Your thighs are going to hate you
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Oh, God, yes. The first 2 days I was in soooo much pain! Like, couldn't even sit on the toilet pain.

I'm much better coming up on day 6. Still feelin' the burn, and it's still a hard work out, but no where near how I felt on the first 2 days, lol....
Oh goodness, not looking forward to that!! I'm already feeling sore, but still looking forward to continuing the workout tomorrow. From the sounds of it, my attitude will be a little different tomorrow...

I had no idea how out of shape I was. I used to be able to do a billion push-ups easily!! If I don't say anything about continuing the 30 Day tomorrow, someone get on my ass okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I'm kind of confused on my calorie intake.

So, when I enter my info into MyFitnesspal, I set my profile with a goal weight of 165lbs and set to 'lose 2lbs per week' and put activity level 'lightly active'... So my net calorie goal is 1420. So am I supposed to eat approx 1420 calories per day and then burn as many calories as possible... the more I exercise, the more 'remaining' calories I have left in my day.

Like today, MFP says my goal is 1420, food I consumed today was 1908, exercise was 735, net is 1173, and remaining is 247.

It's 11:25pm and I'm starving... lol... am I totally starving myself? I know you're not supposed to eat this late, but I've been so hungry.

Maybe I should change from 'lightly active' to 'active' since I AM more active than I was...

I guess I am just confused how much I should be consuming.
Brittany, I'm just as clueless as you are, but just a quick thing... could you make your food diary viewable for your MFP friends? You can change your preferences here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings. Not sure if what you're eating has anything to do with the hunger, but it could?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Some people eat their calories burned back, some do not. I would at least eat to hit the 1200 mark so you don't go into a deficit if you're uncomfortable with eating back your calories.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Silence! I ban you!

I am in my next size smaller jeans. That is all
Old 02-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Top Dog

In regard to the calorie question:

Calories are units of energy. Remember that.

The basic theory is that the body requires a specific number of calories to keep itself running properly and stay healthy. Basic operations, such as cell repair and breathing, require you to use calories for them.

If one weighs 200 lbs, she would need to eat 2,000-2,200 cals a day to maintain that weight. If she wants to lose weight, and is pushing for a safe 2 lbs weight loss per week, then the caloric intake would be reduced by 800-1,000 calories each day. It is commonly taught, that in general, the body needs a daily intake of 1.200 calories just to keep up with daily needs, from the cellular level to basic activities of daily living (walking around house/work, brushing teeth, etc).

However, if you are very active and/or exercise every day, and yet to stick to eating just 1,200 cals, then you're stealing the calories needed for basic living and health to use to fuel your extra activities. This is why you'll see added calories to your suggested/allowable intake. You want to eat enough cals to feed your body and fuel your activity/exercise. Not either/or.

Does that explanation help?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
In regard to the calorie question:

Calories are units of energy. Remember that.

The basic theory is that the body requires a specific number of calories to keep itself running properly and stay healthy. Basic operations, such as cell repair and breathing, require you to use calories for them.

If one weighs 200 lbs, she would need to eat 2,000-2,200 cals a day to maintain that weight. If she wants to lose weight, and is pushing for a safe 2 lbs weight loss per week, then the caloric intake would be reduced by 800-1,000 calories each day. It is commonly taught, that in general, the body needs a daily intake of 1.200 calories just to keep up with daily needs, from the cellular level to basic activities of daily living (walking around house/work, brushing teeth, etc).

However, if you are very active and/or exercise every day, and yet to stick to eating just 1,200 cals, then you're stealing the calories needed for basic living and health to use to fuel your extra activities. This is why you'll see added calories to your suggested/allowable intake. You want to eat enough cals to feed your body and fuel your activity/exercise. Not either/or.

Does that explanation help?
Thank you!!! This helped me a lot.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Oh goodness, not looking forward to that!! I'm already feeling sore, but still looking forward to continuing the workout tomorrow. From the sounds of it, my attitude will be a little different tomorrow...

I had no idea how out of shape I was. I used to be able to do a billion push-ups easily!! If I don't say anything about continuing the 30 Day tomorrow, someone get on my ass okay?

Brittany, I'm just as clueless as you are, but just a quick thing... could you make your food diary viewable for your MFP friends? You can change your preferences here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings. Not sure if what you're eating has anything to do with the hunger, but it could?
Keep up with it! I googled some pics of results after 30 days and that keeps me motivated.

I didn't realize my MFP was on private, I'll go see if I can change it. I think it's definitely my food choices. I'm probably eating way too many carbs, now looking back on my diary. I just looked at yours, and now I feel ashamed, LOL... like I said, I'm horrible when it comes to food stuff, and I'm super picky, and we haven't been to the grocery store in a while, so my options have been limited. I was waiting on receiving my food plan in the mail that I ordered from a personal trainer.

So even though I've been watching my calorie intake and not snacking on random junk, I probably haven't been making the brightest choices. Yesterday I started out with one piece of toast with a bit of peanut butter on it. And a banana. Lunch was at Pot Belly Sandwiches ... I got their "Skinny Beef" on wheat bread with just provolone cheese (under 350 calories). I also had their broccoli/cheddar soup and a small strawberry banana smoothie (179 calories). Dinner was tilapia and brown rice. I had some lightly salted cashews for a snack and a bowl of cheerios last night when I was hungry, after I made my post. Drank 8 glasses of water. And then of course, walked and did 30 day shred.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

I'm SGonzo15 on mfp, if anyone wants to add me.

On that note, how do you look someone up by their mfp user name? It only gives me the option to look people up using email address, Facebook, or out of my contacts.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Here's a good measurement, JacksonsMom:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Put all your info in here including age, height, and weight, then your activity level (and be totally honest about if it's light or moderate exercise!) Step 7 and 8 aren't as important because what you're looking for is the first part, your daily calorie requirements. Your BMR is "bare minimum calories your body needs to stay alive if you did nothing but wake up and just lay in bed all day." The TDEE is what you need to actually DO stuff and maintain your weight. You'll then get a "daily calories" based on what you said you wanted to do in the step 6 selection.

Personally I don't like to eat back my calories, but it is definitely important to keep track of what you're burning and make sure you're eating enough to fuel your body, especially if you have athletic goals (I know there's at least one other person here who's training for a half-marathon for example!)

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Here's a good measurement, JacksonsMom:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Put all your info in here including age, height, and weight, then your activity level (and be totally honest about if it's light or moderate exercise!) Step 7 and 8 aren't as important because what you're looking for is the first part, your daily calorie requirements. Your BMR is "bare minimum calories your body needs to stay alive if you did nothing but wake up and just lay in bed all day." The TDEE is what you need to actually DO stuff and maintain your weight. You'll then get a "daily calories" based on what you said you wanted to do in the step 6 selection.

Personally I don't like to eat back my calories, but it is definitely important to keep track of what you're burning and make sure you're eating enough to fuel your body, especially if you have athletic goals (I know there's at least one other person here who's training for a half-marathon for example!)
Have you used this? I am WAY below what I should be eating for calories in a day. WAY! I average 1200 a day, and this says to lose weight I should be eating 1968 and to maintain 2460...is this my problem??? Because I weigh a lot, exercise a lot, and eat not a lot. I eat a lot of veggies, fair amount of fruit and a lot of protein...no pop, just water, and then one cup of coffee a day.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Have you used this? I am WAY below what I should be eating for calories in a day. WAY! I average 1200 a day, and this says to lose weight I should be eating 1968 and to maintain 2460...is this my problem??? Because I weigh a lot, exercise a lot, and eat not a lot. I eat a lot of veggies, fair amount of fruit and a lot of protein...no pop, just water, and then one cup of coffee a day.
Yes, I have used it, and yes, it does sound like a LOT of calories. I've talked extensively with people about the calculator and the results. Most people agree that the Scooby method calculator (that one) is the best for calculating out BMR, and they also agree that the amount of calories I should be eating is in line with what that spits out.

Not eating enough is a MAJOR problem for people when trying to lose weight because we have arbitrary numbers hammered into us. 1200! 1300! 1500!! 1700 for men!! It's also popular to say "if you're not eating enough your body is in STARVATION MODE!!" but starvation mode is not quite the right term... however it does seriously impede fat loss. It also impedes muscle growth (and rebuilding) which are both important for fat loss, and also important for athletic performance.

1200 sounds very low but without knowing all your other macros (age, height, weight) I can't say for sure. I would believe what it tells you.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog