Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Should I have this extracted?

Lucy and Happy got into a fight today, with Lucy getting the worse of it (naturally).

Lucy's mouth was all bloodied up at the end of it, and after wiping all the blood out with a paper towel the bleeding had stopped, and I wasn't able to identify where the blood had even originated from. I checked her mouth again about an hour or so later just to make sure it still looked okay, and one of her upper incisors is pretty wiggly. It wasn't loose before. So I am assuming in the midst of the brawl, her teeth smacked into something, this one knocked loose, cue blood?

Think I should go ahead and just have it extracted? She could benefit from a dental anyway, a clean slate with her teeth would be nice... I just don't like anesthesia much and feel bad putting her through it. But I don't know if I'm just being stupid for thinking about leaving it be.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Well, if you were already considering doing a dental, even if it was a "in the future" thing, I'd probably have it removed. Less chance of infection, ect.

Or, at the very least, I'd ask the doc if it might reseat itself.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

If it was loose to the point of bleeding I'd probably have it removed. But a vet could probably tell you with more certainty
Old 02-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I'd have it removed. Get it done now, before it becomes a problem later when she's older (she's older already, right?)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM
such sights to show you

A loose incisor might fall out before you can schedule.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
I'd have it removed. Get it done now, before it becomes a problem later when she's older (she's older already, right?)
A little bit yeah, she's 7. Which I guess is a good reason to do it now as well - get her mouth all cleaned up now while she's still relatively young, maintain a healthy mouth, and hopefully not need to have any discussions like this years down the road.

I do know the right answer to this, I just don't want to admit it. I used to not care about anesthesia at all (I happily dropped her and Juno off for their spays without a care in the world) but these days I just want to avoid it! At least it's just an incisor - that's already loose no less - so assuming all her other teeth are fine (which I think they are), she wouldn't have to be under very long.

Quote:
A loose incisor might fall out before you can schedule
I'm kind of hoping for that!! I know we're already booked for surgeries this week, so it'd have to wait at least another week anyway.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

If you were planning a dental in the near future anyway, I'd probably go ahead and schedule it sooner and just get it extracted (or at least xrayed).

If her teeth were otherwise healthy, I might be inclined to just leave it and see what happens. Logan has some lower incisors that will need to come out eventually, but I left them in place even though he did just have a dental (thanks to that stupid premolar, argh). I did go ahead and xray the incisors just to see how they look.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 AM
Top Dog

Boxers are notorious for a weak tooth set, it'll likely fall out on its own if you play a little tug.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

I definitely would just do it. Especially at her age, and needing a dental anyway, I'd just get it over with at 7, before she gets old enough where it's more of a worry, ya know?

But I'm a real stickler for dental health as it is. Jackson had one in Nov. 2011, and he's really needing another one soon... he's not *horrible* but enough for me to think it warrants a dental cleaning (I've been slacking sooo bad for the past few months with his teeth and it really shows). I think the risk of dental problems causing issues is greater than that of anesthesia.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
orange iguanas.

I have her tentatively down for next Monday. Which is my surgery day but maybe I don't want to be the one to poke and prod her lol. If it falls out before then we won't do it. Maybe she'll get into another fight with Happy by then!

She was just at the vet last month and I was told her teeth look great, so hopefully there are no surprises.