Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

milos_mommy

Sorry the double post, it's too late to edit:

Also, did everyone take a childbirth class? And which type/what was it like?

My Dr. just gave me a list of instructors names/phone numbers, divided up by "Bradley, Lamaze, Hypnobirthing, etc". So now I have to call a bunch of them to see where and when the classes are, fees, etc...but I'm not sure which kind I want to take.

When I registered, I tried to read reviews to help decide which things to register for and tried to pick thinks at different price points.

I'm not going to take a child birth class but I need to get my act in gear and sign up for a breast feeding class.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Sorry the double post, it's too late to edit:

Also, did everyone take a childbirth class? And which type/what was it like?

My Dr. just gave me a list of instructors names/phone numbers, divided up by "Bradley, Lamaze, Hypnobirthing, etc". So now I have to call a bunch of them to see where and when the classes are, fees, etc...but I'm not sure which kind I want to take.
I did.

I took a breastfeeding class and a general birthing and labor class. While I didn't nessecarily use a lot of the "breathing techniques" it gave great information and our instructor was wonderful and it was just nice to have someone there to answer any questions that she may not have covered in class.

Brian also took a Daddy bootcamp class which was nice. It was JUST for men, even the doctor and instructors were men and mostly the class was about how to best support their wives during pregnancy, labor and the weeks after giving birth. They also bring in two new fathers to talk about their experience and answer questions. He really enjoyed it and when Hannah was born he volunteered to go in and be one of the fathers to share his experiences. :)

Romy

Taxiderpy
Does anyone else think registering is the hardest thing on the planet to do?

Supposedly I'm having a shower sometime in April, and was asked to register. My issues is that 90% of the stuff they have at department type stores (Target/Babies R Us is where I'm registering) is stuff I'd probably never buy, I have no idea how many newborn outfits to register for and how many 3-6 mo, etc...and I have no idea how to tell stuff like which tub, which bottles, etc. to choose.

BLEH.
If you're buying clothes, I'd pick clothes that are 6 months + and only get couple of small packs of newborn or 3-6 month onesies. Babies grow so fast at that stage, neither of my kids fit in newborn clothes when they were first born and they never had a chance to wear most of their 3-6 month outfits before they outgrew them.

These nightgowns are the Best. Things. Ever. My brother used them for all four of his kids and I used them for both of mine. It makes it so easy to change diapers in the middle of the night, change clothes if diapers leak, and they stay really warm and cozy. Plus the same gown will fit for several months, vs. foot jammies that they outgrow really fast.

milos_mommy

Tanya, was the class you took a Lamaze? And did Brian go to that and Daddy Bootcamp? Do you if the one Brian went to was from an organization or how to find one here?

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Tanya, was the class you took a Lamaze? And did Brian go to that and Daddy Bootcamp? Do you if the one Brian went to was from an organization or how to find one here?
it wasn't strictly Lamaze. I think it was just a general birthing class. They talked about things like epidural and induction and other things that you might use (or not) or might happen during labor and then we watched a video of a woman giving birth but we didn't do a lot of on the floor breathing practice or anything. there was a little bit but it was just one class not an ongoing weekly thing. it was more just a general overview and they talked about how a baby is supposed to come down the birth canal and about possible complications like breech and such.

Brian did come to that class with me as well as the boot camp. It was put on by the local hospital here. I'm not even exactly sure how he found it but I'll ask him when he gets up (he worked late last night lol)

milos_mommy

Awesome, thanks everyone! Romy - most of what I got is 3-6 or 6-9 months, and I guess if baby IS fitting into newborn clothes for the first weeks I can just send someone to grab some packs of basic onesies...

Also - did anyone else not show during pregnancy? I'm 25 weeks today, and no one would be able to tell I was pregnant unless I was wearing a skin-tight top and they knew what I looked like before. I'm SERIOUSLY frustrated by it. If I wear a looser fitting top I don't look ANY different than before, and if I wear tighter stuff I just look heavier than I did before. I guess I'm lucky my belly isn't big enough to be uncomfortable or anything, but still :(

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I hope she doesn't mind, but I just checked fb and it looks like her daughter arrived safe and sound on Friday! Everyone is tired and doing well! I'll let her share all the details/stats when she gets around to it.

So happy for you guys!

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I hope she doesn't mind, but I just checked fb and it looks like her daughter arrived safe and sound on Friday! Everyone is tired and doing well! I'll let her share all the details/stats when she gets around to it.

So happy for you guys!
Yay! So exciting!!!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Also - did anyone else not show during pregnancy? I'm 25 weeks today, and no one would be able to tell I was pregnant unless I was wearing a skin-tight top and they knew what I looked like before. I'm SERIOUSLY frustrated by it. If I wear a looser fitting top I don't look ANY different than before, and if I wear tighter stuff I just look heavier than I did before. I guess I'm lucky my belly isn't big enough to be uncomfortable or anything, but still :(
Obviously not me, but an anecdote -

A friend of mine is TEENY - talking 5'2 and weighs barely anything. Both of her pregnancies were no-show until at least 8 months. Like seriously looked like all she had was a bit of bloat at 7.5 months. Then suddenly her belly POPPED and then, baby!

I had never seen such a thing, but both of her pregnancies went that way and supposedly it's as normal as anything else. She said it's because her body is a TARDIS. :rofl1:

milos_mommy

Well, the Tardis part makes me feel better about it :p

I was thinking Jen must have had her little one over the past few days! I hope we get an update soon!

MM, I showed really early and I feel huge now at 28 weeks. All I can think of is how much work it's going to take to get back to pre-baby shape.

On a pregnancy forums, I've definitely seen some women post pics at 6months plus who are not showing at all. I wonder if they're more comfortable?

The important thing is that you and baby are feeling well and doing well. :)

milos_mommy

I need opinions on prenatal classes:

The hospital where I'm delivering has a 3-series class of 1 hour classes. It's free. Each class covers one of the following: intro to breastfeeding and infant feeding, labor and delivery, and post-partum and newborn care. It's 5 minutes away from my house, but it's in the middle of the day on Thursday.

There's a preschool center nearby, which is charging $195 for labor and delivery classes. HOWEVER, these are either a 1 day weekend seminar for 7 hours, or four 1.5 hr classes. It doesn't cover feeding or newborn care - those are other classes, so it's obviously REALLY detailed about the birth process, hospital procedures, medications, etc.

The local Y has Lamaze classes - $110 for 4 3-hour-long sessions. They also offer newborn care classes and breastfeeding, so I'm assuming those topics are not covered.

I'm just not that sure the extra cost is worth the more detailed instruction. On one hand, I want to be as prepared as possible, the baby's dad (who supposedly is coming to these) actually asked me "what's a midwife?" yesterday :rolleyes:, and I'm REALLY nervous about the birth and being pressured into tests or being hooked up to stuff and not having it go the way I want, I'm still unsure if I want an epidural etc. But I also already know about all my different pain management options, etc...so I don't know if I should pay for more classes.

(Also, if I go to the ones without the newborn care/breastfeeding, I can still go to those classes free at the hospital).

ETA: And how do I tell family members who have just ASSUMED they are going to be welcome in the delivery room that they are very, very, mistaken?

iluvdogs

So whos next in line?

It's so crazy at work the person who covered for me is pregnant and we just found out some other lady is pregnant also..lol I must of started a trend at work! :rofl1:

Taqroy

ETA: And how do I tell family members who have just ASSUMED they are going to be welcome in the delivery room that they are very, very, mistaken?
My mom asked if I wanted her there. I said something like "I really appreciate you offering and I may take you up on that if I have a long labor and Matt needs a break. At this point though, I feel like it should just be me and Matt." And then I added profuse thanks for asking instead of assuming.

If you have anyone that can run interference for you I highly recommend it. My mom is doing this for me with my grandpa (he was the second person to hold me and he REALLY wants to be at the hospital when I deliver which is sweet but...no) and it's taken so much stress off me.

I really don't understand why so many people think it's okay to show up at the hospital. I can't imagine that I'm going to want to see people for awhile - I'm probably going to be exhausted and we'll be figuring out how to be parents and I'll be trying to figure out breastfeeding. Not exactly the perfect time to have company.

milos_mommy

Oh, I don't care if everyone and their mother wants to come to the hospital. Be my guest. I guess I can see women not wanting people there...but I can more see where family wants to come to the hospital, see the baby right away, etc.

Being IN the delivery room during labor AND delivery is a little different. It's one thing to say "oh, I'd like to be there"...and another thing to just assume you're welcome...

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
Instead of going to an actual class, my husband and I watched this Laugh and Learn about Childbirth DVD.

He was working odd hours and so was I, so we watched it on our own time and didn't even watch it together. I felt as prepared for childbirth as I think I could have. In fact, I felt about as prepared as I did the 2nd time when I had an idea about what all was going to happen. He has told me he felt the same way.

Anyway, something to consider if anyone is looking for another option.

The nurses are usually good about running interference as well if you will tell them your wishes about who you want in the room. No one came to "wait" when I was in labor, and we actually didn't even really tell anyone until after baby was born bc I wanted to focus on contractions and not be distracted, but for my 2nd child, we did invite my cousin to be there and I think it was an opportunity of a lifetime for her. I don't expect it, but I secretly hope someday she will invite me to be there to see one of her children be born when the time comes too. ;)

And as for visitors afterwards, I felt so terrible and physically exhausted after both deliveries and really didn't want a lot of visitors. They mostly came once I got home. Although I did have complications as well. (4th degree laceration with strong pain meds with one and spinal headache with the other) The time right after your baby is born is an incredible bonding time. I really wasn't ready to share them and pass them around a whole lot until at least a few hours later once I was in my hospital room.

MM-- most of the moms I talked to didn't seem to get much out of extended prenatal classes. If I were you, I'd do the free one then stock up on some good books!

I was going to do an online course, but then a client at work who teaches prenatal classes brought me all the handouts, plus two awesome books and one for my DH too!!!

Members online

No members online now.