Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Chihuahua Power!

It makes me so sad when people do that

I've heard it a few time with border collies. They have no off switch, ALL THEY DO is stare and become obsessive, they're impossible to live with, ZOMG THEY HERD EVERYTHING, etc, etc. It's funny, because I find Rory really easy to live with... and every BC I've met has an excellent off switch when they get enough mental stimulation.

I've heard chihuahua owners complain that their dogs are "yappy" and "hyper." My chihuahuas only bark when someone is right outside the door- Rory is MUCH more yappy than all of my chihuahuas combined. Emma, Tucker, and Chloe do have high energy levels for the most part, but settle down easily. They're not hyper or yappy- if you DO THINGS with your dogs and GIVE THEM ATTENTION they're so much different.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Not a Border Collie

What a shame, that would really annoy me too!

I haven't run into anything like that in the ES world yet. I think it's because of a couple reasons in my situation - number one, ESs are still fairly rare so I think they tend to end up in hands that really seek them out and want them. Generally - I'm sure there are exceptions. Number two - I don't know many people in person with the breed - they are very uncommon in Canada. Most of my ES friends I have met online and they are absolutely crazy about the breed. Of course, you wouldn't post on the breed club forums or breed groups on FB if you were unimpressed with the breed.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

That sounds familiar...

In the 20 years I had cocker spaniels I heard that sort of thing a lot. Made me angry and sad.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM
orange iguanas.

Thankfully every boxer owner I've come across LOVES the breed and fully embraces all their goofiness and tendency to be stubborn.

But yeah its like... you should probably just not own that breed if you're just going to complain about them. I complain about Lucy a lot and that's why I'll never have another little dog like her!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

I don't think I've run into that very often with my breeds specifically, but I have customers who complain a lot and think negatively of the breeds they own. It's sad. There have been a few people that have spoken really negatively about my breeds here and there also, but not very many.

I think I sometimes come across like I don't like one of the breeds I own, but hopefully not as that's not my intention. I love Dobermans and always will. I wish I was the ideal owner for one, because it's hard to imagine life without one in a lot of ways. But I've grown to learn that they're not the best fit for me, so I likely won't have another. There are a lot of things they do that frustrate me when it comes to living with them, so I probably come across as being annoyed with them here and there, but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Kung Pow Fish

I havent encountered any negative generalizations about my BREED, but I deal with negative generalizations about my breeds OWNERS on an hourly basis. Usually from people in a similar breed who have the same thing done to them and then they whine about it, and turn around and do it to my breed "You're only in it for the money" "You must fight them" "Only thugs and gangbangers own those dogs" "You must be compensating for something, having one of those" "Those dogs are all vicious babykillers" etc etc

I guess its more interesting to sensationalize, judge, and gossip about the other end of the leash.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Thankfully every boxer owner I've come across LOVES the breed and fully embraces all their goofiness and tendency to be stubborn.

But yeah its like... you should probably just not own that breed if you're just going to complain about them. I complain about Lucy a lot and that's why I'll never have another little dog like her!
Boxers can be stubborn? What is this nonsense?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I've heard it a few time with border collies. They have no off switch, ALL THEY DO is stare and become obsessive, they're impossible to live with, ZOMG THEY HERD EVERYTHING, etc, etc. It's funny, because I find Rory really easy to live with... and every BC I've met has an excellent off switch when they get enough mental stimulation.
I think it depends on the BC. I have a friend with 3 BCs, and one of them truly doesn't have an off switch. She laughs about it when I'm over there, because if all the dogs are out, he's obsessively circling something or other. He really doesn't stop moving. She says that's just how he is. (I thought it might be because I was over, I know my dogs are crazier if there is company, but I guess not)

She loves him, and doesn't see it as a fault, just one of his quirks. But I have to say that if I were crazy enough to get a BC, and wound up with one like that, I'd probably have some pretty negative things to say about the breed.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I have rose tinted glasses
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Little dog, big voice

Agreed, although I have only ever run into two other people with a Papillon and both raved about how great they are.

The thing that bugs me most is seeing the breed suggested when somebody wants a "small, easy, not so energetic dog". Based on my own experience and from the forum Papillons, the only adjective from the above assumption is "small".

Although Cali does get possessive over chews (which is something we are working on), she is incredibly smart, craves attention, and can go all day. Not to mention that she is the most outgoing, excitable (sometimes has its downsides though) I have ever met. Sure, she has an off switch and will be lazy with you but she wouldn't be suitable in a home where she gets minimal exercise and training. I know I slack off in the winter months, but I still get her out for a walk and we play fetch, etc.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.