Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Default Harness

I need harness suggestions for Pentti. I usually have my guys wear fabric martingales while out and about, but with TDI they are not allowed while on visits. So I'm still paranoid that he could try to back out of a collar if something weird/unforeseen happens, and therefore thinking a harness might be the right way to do.

We have the Gentler Leader Easy Walk, but we obviously can't use that since it's considered a training aide. And I don't really like the regular nylon ones you find in Petco/Petsmart (doesn't work well with the fur), and would like something a bit more custom (even the GL one doesn't quite fit right). Any suggestions?

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

You can find custom style/patterned harnesses all over etsy.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Sport Model Pug

The ruffwear webmaster is nice to an extent for therapy work as clients can hold on to it while petting. Downside is it takes away a lot of petting space.

The Julius k9 ones are nice too and a vest style and have the same sort of advantage of the handle like the webmaster but with more space for petting.

Then there's the cheaper, light, comfortflex. This one is my personal favourite for therapy work. As its light and she can move well in it as its comfortable for her but has a handle to still help lift her and such.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Does TDI let you use a harness? I do think it's stupid they don't allow martingales, since for some dogs (sighthounds, collies, etc) they can EASILY slip out since their neck is bigger than their head. They let greyhounds not sit, and yet don;t allow martingales. Stupid.

Anyway...I could make you one But I have several people in front of you in line, and I'm not sure how quickly you're looking to get one.

DJEtzel could probably make you whatever sort of harness you want. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fragg...65012176860095.

ETA: I see DJEtzel already posted, now
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM

I sort of need one like ASAP as we should hopefully be starting work next weekend. I didn't expect to begin this soon, otherwise I would have gotten this figured out sooner LOL.

The TDI handbook only says flat-buckle collar or harness can be worn on visits, and that "Training collars, training harnesses, halties, or any other corrective training devices are not permitted." So I dunno.

ETA - I agree with you on the martingale thing, Safelou... TBH, you can pretty easily tell even with a martingale if a dog is walking loose leash or not. So yeah. Not sure why they aren't allowed. I know for the CGC martingales are permitted (Pen took his CGC with one), so I'm not quite sure why it is the way it is. Unless there is something I'm missing? And the collar is covered by the required bandana anyway

ETA part 2 - MandyPug, do you have a specific type of Julius harness you like? I do also like Comfortflex - have one of their limited slip collars and it gets used constantly. It's Kimma's go-to agility one for classes and training

Last edited by Finkie_Mom; 02-22-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
ETA: I see DJEtzel already posted, now
XD I try not to be too spammy.

But thank you for the advertisement!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 PM

Haha yeah, I know there are people here who make nice collars/harnesses and that there are also TONS to choose from on Etsy. I'm just in a hurry

Plus I like the idea of something with a bit more padding so that it won't mess with his coat too much. I know that limits my options a bit... :/

Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
Haha yeah, I know there are people here who make nice collars/harnesses and that there are also TONS to choose from on Etsy. I'm just in a hurry

Plus I like the idea of something with a bit more padding so that it won't mess with his coat too much. I know that limits my options a bit... :/
The schedule is the hardest part. You may have to scan etsy for premades that will fit him AND most of what you're looking for. :/

Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Behavior Nerd

For harnesses, I've been eying the Walkeez (available through Clean Run) and Alpine Outfitters' Urban Trail Harness (just google Alpine Outfitters). Both are fleece lined, allow free shoulder movement, and are well made according to friends' feedback on the Walkeez and personal experience on the UTH.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
The schedule is the hardest part. You may have to scan etsy for premades that will fit him AND most of what you're looking for. :/
I know! I'm just striking out all over LOL. I'm hoping to get something ordered by tomorrow, so it can ship early next week.

I mean, I'm pretty sure he would be just fine in a regular collar (he was perfectly fine during the test and everything), but there would always just be that fear in the back of my mind. And while his recall is pretty good, I'd rather just be safe than sorry.