Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I've wondered this as well.

In most developing countries, stray dogs are everywhere and unavoidable. They'd walk right up to us in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. There were at least 10+ "resident" strays on the main beach strip in San Juan Del Sur, and most of them weren't shy.

Even in my visits to places like Ireland and Scotland, owners would walk their dogs off leash. In fact, I saw more well-behaved off leash dogs than leashed ones. Dogs off leash in public parks were VERY common. Their owners would be playing ball or frisbee with them, and they were ignored/left alone by other park-goers.
A valid point: I am phobic of spiders but they still sell: plush spiders, spiders in pet stores, fluorescent / bright light gives me a migraine, ill behaved kids (sorry but it's true) ... & i know i am not the only one who is bothered by those things ... But they are still there, those things.

Case & point? Just because a person "doesn't like" something doesn't mean it should be banned. I to have broken my fair share of laws including taking my dog to places they are "technically" not allowed.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

I've said it again, as have so many other people: If you want to drag your pet with you, work to change the laws, as disabled people had to work to change the laws to allow access for handlers with service dogs. Until that point, DO NOT drag your pet into a place it doesn't belong. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of law. Unfortunately it's a law many of you seem to consider yourselves above.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Twin 2.0

I'm wondering how many people who are on the side of "i'll take my dog where ever I d*mn well please" are willing to ignore "Employees Only" signs and just waltz right into any old section of a business, because hey, it's not hurting anyone, right? Surely those signs only apply to the unemployeed and homeless, because technically if you have a job, you're an employee, right? Same with "No Trespassing" signs. Ignore those "because you can" and see what happens. Take an 8 year old into a R-rated movie and then b*tch up a storm because you can't take your "well-behaved" child any place you feel like.

SD handlers have had to, and still have to, fight an uphill battle for access and frankly I'm appalled at some of the opinions in this thread disregarding those who ACTUALLY have a horse in this race.

Sure, I'd love to be able to take Sawyer with me everywhere and he's proven that he is so well-behaved in public that most people don't even know he's there. I took him into the tasting room of a local brewery (dogs are allowed, BTW) and even though it was elbow-to-elbow, very few people even realized he was there unless they happened to look down as we squeezed through. However, I don't have a documented disability and whatever impairments I might deal with aren't to the point that I require a service dog. Do I feel calmer, less stressed out and less likely to want to murder people if I have him with me? Sure. But that still doesn't classify him as a service dog and I would be a right b*tch to try and claim otherwise and force my way into inappropriate access.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

It makes me angry when people sneak their pets into places that prohibit pet dogs, and when those people admit they have done so, I have spoken out about it.

HOWEVER

I also hold the opinion that a well behaved pet is not necessarily detrimental to the image/status/access of SDs, mostly because I would just assume that a well behaved dog in a public space where dogs are not allowed = SD.
Do I think it's okay for that person to do it? No. Not at all.

I have a problem with people generalizing how "fakers" act and look. As many people on both sides of this conversation have experienced, SDs can appear as "fakers" and "fakers" can pass as SDs.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I'm wondering how many people who are on the side of "i'll take my dog where ever I d*mn well please" are willing to ignore "Employees Only" signs and just waltz right into any old section of a business, because hey, it's not hurting anyone, right? Surely those signs only apply to the unemployeed and homeless, because technically if you have a job, you're an employee, right? Same with "No Trespassing" signs. Ignore those "because you can" and see what happens. Take an 8 year old into a R-rated movie and then b*tch up a storm because you can't take your "well-behaved" child any place you feel like.

SD handlers have had to, and still have to, fight an uphill battle for access and frankly I'm appalled at some of the opinions in this thread disregarding those who ACTUALLY have a horse in this race.

Sure, I'd love to be able to take Sawyer with me everywhere and he's proven that he is so well-behaved in public that most people don't even know he's there. I took him into the tasting room of a local brewery (dogs are allowed, BTW) and even though it was elbow-to-elbow, very few people even realized he was there unless they happened to look down as we squeezed through. However, I don't have a documented disability and whatever impairments I might deal with aren't to the point that I require a service dog. Do I feel calmer, less stressed out and less likely to want to murder people if I have him with me? Sure. But that still doesn't classify him as a service dog and I would be a right b*tch to try and claim otherwise and force my way into inappropriate access.
This is *exactly* how I feel.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post

VERY well said, Zoom!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
They are not mutually exclusive. A poorly trained service dog does not belong in public. A well trained pet does not belong in public. BOTH are illegal.
While I agree with some of your post, i do not agree with "a well trained pet doesnt belong in public" why? because its the law? becaue "big brother" says so? meh, i am a self admitted rule breaker, I have taken my dog to many places where dogs arent allowed (fairs, flea markets, & other types of open-air marketplaces) & was never once kicked out or questioned, i ddidnt even attempt to fake my dogs being service dogs (it was clear they werent) what I DID however, was spend MANY HOURS training them to behave... amazing how much that makes them invisable.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

I don't need to wonder, people follow laws they want to, and break ones they don't. I haven't met a person alive that is above this.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
i ddidnt even attempt to fake my dogs being service dogs
Taking a dog to a place dogs aren't allowed IS faking your dog being a service dog. Service dogs are not required to have a cape, vest, harness, or anything identifying them as such. By being in a place they're not allowed to be, your goal is to make other people think they belong there, and thus faking them being a service dog.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Taking a dog to a place dogs aren't allowed IS faking your dog being a service dog. Service dogs are not required to have a cape, vest, harness, or anything identifying them as such. By being in a place they're not allowed to be, your goal is to make other people think they belong there, and thus faking them being a service dog.
no the goal is to take the dog somewhere, not to slight service dogs. If I saw a dog on a leash walking with someone at a market I would NOT think "oh a service dog" and I doubt many people would.