Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Default Dog dies during cosmetic facelift.

A Chinese man has sued a Beijing animal hospital over the death of his dog during plastic surgery. Chinese animal welfare advocates have been appalled at the surgery, a facelift that was performed specifcally to meet “the aesthetic desire” of the man, as Qin Xiaona, director of the Capital Animal Association, says to the Global Times.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/dog-dies...#ixzz2LZhjSsz8
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Kung Pow Fish

well if the skin is THAT saggy, id bet money the dog had exposed eye sockets too, so the surgery WOULD have helped, healthwise, not just cosmetics. i can think of quite a few neos and bassets that could benefit from this sort of pseudo facelift
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

sounds pretty similar to the disfigurement humans have already put dogs thru, How many die each year from no hip sockets, can't breath, can't breed naturally, can't digest food, etc?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
well if the skin is THAT saggy, id bet money the dog had exposed eye sockets too, so the surgery WOULD have helped, healthwise, not just cosmetics. i can think of quite a few neos and bassets that could benefit from this sort of pseudo facelift
Maybe I read the article incorrectly, but my understanding was that the owner was having a skin fold on the forehead removed and straightened. The breed in question is Tibetan Mastif, which is not known for having droopy eyes. The article said he wanted it done so he dog would look more attractive to people potentially wanting to breed their dog to his. This was certainly not a medical procedure to help cure or prevent any health issue. The article also stated that is was abusive to raise a Tibetan Mastiff in urban and city areas, which seems a bit crazy to me.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcraker View Post
Maybe I read the article incorrectly, but my understanding was that the owner was having a skin fold on the forehead removed and straightened. The breed in question is Tibetan Mastif, which is not known for having droopy eyes. The article said he wanted it done so he dog would look more attractive to people potentially wanting to breed their dog to his. This was certainly not a medical procedure to help cure or prevent any health issue. The article also stated that is was abusive to raise a Tibetan Mastiff in urban and city areas, which seems a bit crazy to me.
Yeah the last part seems a bit cuckoo to me too. Theyre a giant breed... not exactly off the charts on energy levels
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

Aside from the issue of being rather deceptive to the owners of the females he's breeding to (as he's putting the image of a dog with a not flabby forehead...whatever that is...out there.) people have elective procedures done on dogs all the time. We just removed 20 little warts off a small dog yesterday. The issue would be whether the vet was somehow negligent. Anesthesia always carries a risk, no matter how simple the procedure, a fact people often forget.

What I found more ridiculous was the outrage about dog "tattoos"...coat shaved into a shape is not a tattoo, people
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcraker View Post
Keep in mind that in China they have a big lack of animal welfare laws and at times have 'culled' dogs to prevent disease or banned dogs over a certain size and destroyed dogs over that size.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_15259411.htm
http://www.ministryoftofu.com/2012/0...on-large-dogs/

There is a reason many breeders in North America etc. will not send dogs there.

It's of course different here, I could see having a giant breed and living in downtown in an apartment.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

My thoughts too Grab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
What I found more ridiculous was the outrage about dog "tattoos"...coat shaved into a shape is not a tattoo, people
I just read all the comments on that stupid article. You would think that people were talking about real tattoos. Have they never seen dogs shaved down for the summer, or poodles in any clip?

I mostly loved the comments saying "Stop humanizing your dogs. If you want a snowflake, do it to yourself. Think of the dog's dignity"..uuhh..what??
Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I mostly loved the comments saying "Stop humanizing your dogs. If you want a snowflake, do it to yourself. Think of the dog's dignity"..uuhh..what??
Every time I see/hear someone talking about dogs' dignity, I think about my dogs eating poop, dragging their butts on the floor, rolling around in stinky things, and licking themselves... yeeeaaaah, dignity.