Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is online now
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,573
Default Dog dies during cosmetic facelift.

A Chinese man has sued a Beijing animal hospital over the death of his dog during plastic surgery. Chinese animal welfare advocates have been appalled at the surgery, a facelift that was performed specifcally to meet “the aesthetic desire” of the man, as Qin Xiaona, director of the Capital Animal Association, says to the Global Times.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/dog-dies...#ixzz2LZhjSsz8
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 844
Default

well if the skin is THAT saggy, id bet money the dog had exposed eye sockets too, so the surgery WOULD have helped, healthwise, not just cosmetics. i can think of quite a few neos and bassets that could benefit from this sort of pseudo facelift
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM
release the hounds release the hounds is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,105
Default

sounds pretty similar to the disfigurement humans have already put dogs thru, How many die each year from no hip sockets, can't breath, can't breed naturally, can't digest food, etc?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
animalcraker's Avatar
animalcraker animalcraker is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
well if the skin is THAT saggy, id bet money the dog had exposed eye sockets too, so the surgery WOULD have helped, healthwise, not just cosmetics. i can think of quite a few neos and bassets that could benefit from this sort of pseudo facelift
Maybe I read the article incorrectly, but my understanding was that the owner was having a skin fold on the forehead removed and straightened. The breed in question is Tibetan Mastif, which is not known for having droopy eyes. The article said he wanted it done so he dog would look more attractive to people potentially wanting to breed their dog to his. This was certainly not a medical procedure to help cure or prevent any health issue. The article also stated that is was abusive to raise a Tibetan Mastiff in urban and city areas, which seems a bit crazy to me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 AM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcraker View Post
Maybe I read the article incorrectly, but my understanding was that the owner was having a skin fold on the forehead removed and straightened. The breed in question is Tibetan Mastif, which is not known for having droopy eyes. The article said he wanted it done so he dog would look more attractive to people potentially wanting to breed their dog to his. This was certainly not a medical procedure to help cure or prevent any health issue. The article also stated that is was abusive to raise a Tibetan Mastiff in urban and city areas, which seems a bit crazy to me.
Yeah the last part seems a bit cuckoo to me too. Theyre a giant breed... not exactly off the charts on energy levels
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Grab's Avatar
Grab Grab is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,052
Default

Aside from the issue of being rather deceptive to the owners of the females he's breeding to (as he's putting the image of a dog with a not flabby forehead...whatever that is...out there.) people have elective procedures done on dogs all the time. We just removed 20 little warts off a small dog yesterday. The issue would be whether the vet was somehow negligent. Anesthesia always carries a risk, no matter how simple the procedure, a fact people often forget.

What I found more ridiculous was the outrage about dog "tattoos"...coat shaved into a shape is not a tattoo, people
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Kilter Kilter is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcraker View Post
Maybe I read the article incorrectly, but my understanding was that the owner was having a skin fold on the forehead removed and straightened. The breed in question is Tibetan Mastif, which is not known for having droopy eyes. The article said he wanted it done so he dog would look more attractive to people potentially wanting to breed their dog to his. This was certainly not a medical procedure to help cure or prevent any health issue. The article also stated that is was abusive to raise a Tibetan Mastiff in urban and city areas, which seems a bit crazy to me.
Keep in mind that in China they have a big lack of animal welfare laws and at times have 'culled' dogs to prevent disease or banned dogs over a certain size and destroyed dogs over that size.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_15259411.htm
http://www.ministryoftofu.com/2012/0...on-large-dogs/

There is a reason many breeders in North America etc. will not send dogs there.

It's of course different here, I could see having a giant breed and living in downtown in an apartment.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Locke's Avatar
Locke Locke is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,728
Default

My thoughts too Grab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
What I found more ridiculous was the outrage about dog "tattoos"...coat shaved into a shape is not a tattoo, people
I just read all the comments on that stupid article. You would think that people were talking about real tattoos. Have they never seen dogs shaved down for the summer, or poodles in any clip?

I mostly loved the comments saying "Stop humanizing your dogs. If you want a snowflake, do it to yourself. Think of the dog's dignity"..uuhh..what??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I mostly loved the comments saying "Stop humanizing your dogs. If you want a snowflake, do it to yourself. Think of the dog's dignity"..uuhh..what??
Every time I see/hear someone talking about dogs' dignity, I think about my dogs eating poop, dragging their butts on the floor, rolling around in stinky things, and licking themselves... yeeeaaaah, dignity.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site