Breed Suggestions :)
I have a breed (and breeder) in mind, and of course there's always my back and forth of another one of my current two breeds. But I was a little bored and also curious as to what chazzers think This is for future puppy 2014 (or later depending on finding a breeder, etc). I have decided that I do want a breeder pup instead of a rescue, its been going on 11 years since I've had a puppy (Maddie) and I'm ready
Here's a few things I could think of, if you have any questions or want more details let me know.
Some things I'm looking for:
* I'm interested in shorter fur, but not a deal breaker. I am used Bailey's shedding, used to live with German Shedders.... and I often "hobby groom" for friends, co-workers and I groom Maddie, so that doesn't scare me off. I do like the wash and wear coat, though! Bailey's pretty much is.
* Relatively healthy breed would be wonderful. I admit I'd love to not have to be extremely proactive and not worry about skin conditions or ear infections constantly
* Energy-wise I want some drive, but not an insane amount. I want a dog that will be able to at the very least keep up with me and Bailey... I'd love to have a playmate for her and also a dog I can do a little more with. We've been jogging and I just started Biking with her. My favorite thing to do is hiking. This is where I've like having a bigger dog, I used to use Missy the GSD as a "brace" when hiking on the more difficult trails.
We've dabbled in RallyO, Treibball (fun!), and Agility Foundations classes. I'm not as into agility as I thought I was, but I do like the classes.
Oh, and swimming! I love to go to the off leash dog beach and spend all day there, so liking water is always a plus.
* Not typically known for DA or SSA. I don't need dog park material but I do need a dog to be able to function and co-exist with other dogs. Not just my own but also friends dogs in an a potential off-leash setting, and other dogs at dog events, training classes, etc
* I like velcro dogs but I also need a dog that won't freak out and have SA if I have to work late. I am a preschool teacher and sometimes I have conferences or meetings or classes. I have back-up plans for my back up plans, and I always have someone to let the dogs out if needed or even walk if necessary but I need a dog that would be okay with that if the situation ever arises.
* As for size, I think Similar size, or a little bit bigger. So... 20-40lbs, give or take? I've always wanted bigger, but I am a little hesitant because I love how easily it is to pop one or both of my girls in the car and take them anywhere.
* Speaking of, I want that. Adaptability or biddable in the sense that they can stay with me if I need to run a few errands, or stop at a friends house and do a few things after training class and not have to worry about micromanaging behavior so they don't get into things for example. But I don't need or expect blind obedience.
* As far as protectiveness, I am alone a lot of the time and that's one of the reasons I wanted a little bit bigger. But I am not confident with dogs that are HA and I do have children in/out of my life sometimes
Can't think of anything else Feel free to ask me anything!
Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 13 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 6 y/o