Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Twin 2

Not at all.

I can't bring dogs into hardware stores, they aren't allowed offleash anywhere except a dog park and long lines are illegal (6 foot leash or under). They are pretty much not really welcome anywhere. We also have a very strict amount of animals you can own (2).

The biggest pet friendly thing we have is my one forest preserve dog park.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Not really, sadly. Not allowed in most stores. Not allowed off leash most places. And not a very dog sport oriented place. Also sadly.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Not as bad as some areas but certainly not what I would considering dog-friendly either. If you are allowed anywhere it's pretty much only on leash (though there are several places where they look the other way as long as you have your dog well in hand). Other than petstores, none allow pets. Outdoor seating in restaurants is often a no as well (though to be honest there's not that much outdoor restaurant seating anyway). Public transportation -- forget it.

We do have a lot of dog sports and such but I considering that somewhat separate. In term of the general public's integration of dogs into society...no. Just no. Around here, pets are for leaving at home or maybe taking on a walk around the block.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

Yup. Especially Annapolis area, but surrounding too. Pretty much all stores in downtown (clothing and all) allow dogs inside. All restaurants have outdoor patio seating where they're allowed. All the local Lowe's, Home Depot's, etc are all pet friendly, as far as I know, they've never questioned me. Lots of pet stores, boutiques, grooming places, parks, etc. Banks all give out doggy biscuits. He's been with me to a few different car places - car wash allows him in while I pay, then we go sit outside and wait for my car to be done, mechanics let him inside while they rotate my tires, change oil, etc. I think maybe because we're by lots of water - we have a lot of outdoor restaurants, lots of people bring their dogs on their boat, etc.

MD actually made a 'law' about it not too long ago.. http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...storyid=156846

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Yup. Especially Annapolis area, but surrounding too. Pretty much all stores in downtown (clothing and all) allow dogs inside. All restaurants have outdoor patio seating where they're allowed. All the local Lowe's, Home Depot's, etc are all pet friendly, as far as I know, they've never questioned me. Lots of pet stores, boutiques, grooming places, parks, etc. Banks all give out doggy biscuits. He's been with me to a few different car places - car wash allows him in while I pay, then we go sit outside and wait for my car to be done, mechanics let him inside while they rotate my tires, change oil, etc. I think maybe because we're by lots of water - we have a lot of outdoor restaurants, lots of people bring their dogs on their boat, etc.

MD actually made a 'law' about it not too long ago.. http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...storyid=156846
I've suddenly decided I'm moving to Maryland :P

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Love My Mutt <3

As long as your dog is not a bully breed.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I've suddenly decided I'm moving to Maryland :P
DO IT! lol.

I actually was so ready to get out of MD for a while, but I realize I don't take advantage of a lot of the things it has to offer! We're so close to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, DC, Annapolis, etc. I don't go nearly often enough! I still have yet to take Jackson to the Inner Harbor OR DC (both on my list of things to do this summer!)

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
orange iguanas.

Nope.

Pet stores and dog park, really the only places dogs are allowed. The banks give out dog biscuits at the drive through, which Juno thinks is the coolest thing ever (cue drool), but it's not like I could bring her IN the bank. There really just aren't options for things to do with them or places to bring them. Unless I am totally misinformed.

We ignore leash laws, but one of our favorite places to go, people complain a lot about dogs being off leash (it's right outside the dog park so it attracts the dog crowd even though it's not part of the off-leash park) so it's not uncommon for police to crack down on that spot. Which sucks.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
This general area is a good dog place though. Many many hiking trails. Most say dogs have to be on leash, but a couple say does must be on leash OR "under control" at all times so that's nice! Lots of agility trainers, a herding trainer, and a wonderful obedience trainer too I was disappointed at the thought of moving but the place we're ending up moving to is quite doggy as well. It has an awesome gravel pit, conservation area, my herding trainer is 5 mins one way and a big dog sports facility (which hosts lessons, trials, and clinics) 5 minutes the other way.
Can I move where you are? Haha.

Uhm, I live sort of in the country, but not really, but Kalamazoo really isn't very dog friendly from what I know. If I didn't have private land available, or know of some local parks and go to a lot of hiking trails, my dogs would be screwed. Thankfully we are SUPER close to the Kal-Haven Trail, so we frequent there a lot.

Fort Collins was pretty dog friendly. A few restaurants had "Dog Ice Cream" and would let you sit with the dog on the patio. Plus a lot of great hiking in the mountains.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Top Dog

Basically what Meagan said.

Not any special stores/restaurants that allow dogs, but we do have a bit of sport in the area, and the premier! Which is nice for competitors, but doesn't do much for most people. At least there's no BSL, we can have a few dogs in the city, and animal control isn't up everyone's butt about leash laws in private parks.

Could be better, but could be much worse.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm