Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Club Terrible - President

Default Do you live in a dog friendly area?

An offshoot of the faker thread (please don't drag service dogs into this one!), I saw a few posts mentioning certain areas were either dog friendly or not. Kent is reasonably dog friendly, they welcome dogs in the bank, outdoor patios of a couple restaurants, a little outdoorsy store that doubles as an ice cream shop, and I believe the hardware store. Is where you live dog friendly?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

Its very pockety here. Some neighborhoods are very dog friendly, others are not at all
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Not at all.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Little dog, big voice

It's not dog friendly in terms of dog parks, activities, etc... but a few store owners let me bring Cali in. I think it has a lot to do with the facts that a) she's five pounds and we carry her and b) we've been going to these stores for over a decade now... but they're never had a problem with Cali and a lot of the other customers adore her and her behaviour is complimented frequently.

I'm so excited to move to a city though, with dog parks and regular training classes though. For now, we'll have to stick with run down hiking trails and seasonal training classes.

ETA: Probably the most dog friendly place we've been is a couple hours away, minus one store (where I was politely asked to leave even though Cali was in my arms), Cali was allowed everywhere and even came whale watching with us. She ended up keeping a very outgoing and adventurous four year old girl entertained for a whole two and a half hours before we headed home.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yup, we often win "most dog friendly city" awards.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Portland is a pretty dog friendly town. Most, if not all, of the restaurants with outdoor patios allow dogs on them. Some businesses do, it's kind of hit and miss. I've taken dogs into auto repair type places. I don't know about banks, I guess I wouldn't try it, so I don't actually know if it's a rule or not.

Dogs are really popular in this town, most people you encounter like dogs. I think outdoor activities are particularly popular in the area, and dogs are fun for those, so people like dogs, too.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Nope. It's a college town so really there's not much in term of dogs stuff, and I can't think of a single store that I know allows dogs.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Nope, not at all here. I mean, there are tons of dogs walking around the public parks and stuff, but the only stores they are allowed in are pet stores really. I DID have Auggie with me once when I had to go to my chiropractor, and I walked in with him in my arms (my mom was there too, they make our appointments back to back) and asked if he could come in and she could hold him during my appointment. The office manager is my chiro's wife and she was like "OMG YES COME IN. I WANT TO HOLD HIM. CAN I HOLD HIM??" They apparently have one client who always brings her dog and she always sits up front with the office manager while her owner is having her chiro work done hahaha. So Auggie hung out with my chiropractor's wife. XD
And of course Auggie was welcome to be smuggled under my desk at the radio station. Nobody brought their dogs on a regular basis but the odd time or two was no big deal.

There is a single bank in town that uses the fact that they allow dogs to come into the bank as a marketing tool, LOL. My old bank used to have dog biscuits they would give out if you came through the drive-thru with your dog in the car, just like suckers for kids... in fact I think they still do... but the employees who work there now are all rude and don't even give suckers to kids, so. That's why it's my OLD bank. =P
I went to a Taco Bell in another city with Auggie in the car (we were at an agility trial) and the guy at the window asked me if Auggie would like a treat, and he gave me a Milkbone for him. I was so thrilled I was still eating my foo d as I sat in my hotel room and wrote Taco Bell a letter about how cool I thought that was LOL.
Oh, there is a local ice cream place where you can get a "pup cup" and your dogs can be outside with you, but that's about it.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Not a Border Collie

I don't live in town (about a 10 minute drive) so I can't really attest to how dog friendly this area is as far as welcoming dogs on patios and in stores as I'm rarely in town on foot long enough to walk around, have a meal, etc. I know one ice cream place offers doggy icecreams in the summer and there are a couple of coffee shops with outdoor tables that I frequently see dogs and their owners at, but that's all that comes to mind. I see lots of dogs being tied up outside. The bank or any retail stores (apart from pet stores) definitely don't allow dogs inside. There is a dog park but it's tiny and in a weird kind of remote location.

This general area is a good dog place though. Many many hiking trails. Most say dogs have to be on leash, but a couple say does must be on leash OR "under control" at all times so that's nice! Lots of agility trainers, a herding trainer, and a wonderful obedience trainer too I was disappointed at the thought of moving but the place we're ending up moving to is quite doggy as well. It has an awesome gravel pit, conservation area, my herding trainer is 5 mins one way and a big dog sports facility (which hosts lessons, trials, and clinics) 5 minutes the other way.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
An offshoot of the faker thread (please don't drag service dogs into this one!), I saw a few posts mentioning certain areas were either dog friendly or not. Kent is reasonably dog friendly, they welcome dogs in the bank, outdoor patios of a couple restaurants, a little outdoorsy store that doubles as an ice cream shop, and I believe the hardware store. Is where you live dog friendly?
Not in the bank, but they give biscuits at the window when you drive up. But everything else, yes, if you know the right places. And if your dog is well behaved No awards here, but I'd say its good enough!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o