Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #131  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 PM
release the hounds release the hounds is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
But it's not illegal.
in some states it is.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
in some states it is.
That's true, and I wish each and every one of them would get pulled over by the cops too.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
Honestly, if the dog is prescribed by a doctor, then nothing else matters to me.
Training and behavior matters. Just because someone has a "prescribed" dog doesn't mean it's okay for it to snark in my dog's face or bark like a maniac.

Gavroche is prescribed. I don't take him in public, because he's an asshole to other dogs and is shy around people.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
in some states it is.
Then in those states it's also wrong and shouldn't be done.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
release the hounds release the hounds is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
That's true, and I wish each and every one of them would get pulled over by the cops too.
that's all? I wish I could shoot their tires out
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
in some states it is.
Most states

ETA: Didn't realize the map was so massive. Here's a link instead!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uzF7EI_afG...e+Map.+jpg.jpg
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep

Last edited by ~Jessie~; 02-21-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Red Chrome's Avatar
Red Chrome Red Chrome is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Training and behavior matters. Just because someone has a "prescribed" dog doesn't mean it's okay for it to snark in my dog's face or bark like a maniac.

Gavroche is prescribed. I don't take him in public, because he's an asshole to other dogs and is shy around people.
It's not MY job to enforce laws. If someone brings their prescribed SD in to a store. Well that's their right. If it misbehaves then they are opening themselves up for trouble.

I'm not going to police others on this issue.
__________________
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus-OFA H/E DM Free CGC DDJ RN BH
WBBs BleauChrome Lady of TheCopa-CGC STARR Naughty RockStar
The BlackChrome Executioner VonMarionHaus-Puppy Terrorist
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:42 PM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,587
Default

If I see a dog in a store where dogs aren't allowed, I'm going to assume that dog is a service dog.

If someone has a well behaved dog, I probably won't even notice them. By law, business owners/employees aren't supposed to ask more than a couple of questions:

Quote:
When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the personís disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.
A badly trained service dog (or a faker with a badly trained pet) is probably going to be noticed more often (and more easily) than a well behaved pet.

I disagree with bringing pets into stores where they aren't allowed. It's something that I would never do.

However, I still stand by saying that I'd rather see a well behaved dog at a store rather than a badly behaved service dog. I'm not going to notice the well behaved dog (except to maybe think to myself that it's awesome and doing a great job), and most people are probably the same way.

I've seen some pretty bad service dogs (or fakers- who knows, I would never ask), and I think those are the ones who are doing the most disservice.
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
JessLough JessLough is online now
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
CharlieDog happens to be a service dog handler. She has every right to not want people to drag their pets with them to stores. I'm also a service dog handler, as is Romy, and several other people in this discussion. You need to get off your high horse and realize it's against the law, and you're not entitled to drag your pet with you. It's a pet, you don't NEED it to function in public. We NEED our service dogs to function in public. It's no different than a cane or a wheelchair.
Haven't you said that your SD doesn't go to work or school with you? I mean, if that's true, I assume you're functioning at work or else you wouldn't have a job. Therefore, the statement "I NEED my dog to function" isn't completely correct, nor is it the same as somebody who can't walk using a wheelchair, in your case.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Flyinsbt's Avatar
Flyinsbt Flyinsbt is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
What does being an arthritic retired gym teacher have to do with anything? She couldn't crate the dog for a few hours? Please.
It has to do with me not wanting to tell a semi-crippled old lady who is used to handling unruly kids that she is "selfish and childish". If you want to do that, go ahead, but I feel neither safe nor morally justified in doing so.

Have fun on your moral high ground.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site