Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Glutton for Crazy

As a previous SD handler (medically prescribed) I actually side with the "it's not the fakers, it's the training of the dog" side.

A UD/TDI dog that quietly strolls without notice is going to be less hurtful to you than some of my clients in Vegas who had doctor prescribed dogs. We were there to assist owner trained dogs but some days it was amazing how little they would listen and how hurtful these handlers could be to the cause and yet these were (sometimes "more") valid teams.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
As a previous SD handler (medically prescribed) I actually side with the "it's not the fakers, it's the training of the dog" side.

A UD/TDI dog that quietly strolls without notice is going to be less hurtful to you than some of my clients in Vegas who had doctor prescribed dogs. We were there to assist owner trained dogs but some days it was amazing how little they would listen and how hurtful these handlers could be to the cause and yet these were (sometimes "more") valid teams.
This this this!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
"it's not the fakers, it's the training of the dog"
They are not mutually exclusive. A poorly trained service dog does not belong in public. A well trained pet does not belong in public. BOTH are illegal.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
They are not mutually exclusive. A poorly trained service dog does not belong in public. A well trained pet does not belong in public. BOTH are illegal.

This is what I've been thinking the entire thread.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Glutton for Crazy

While I don't disagree I do find myself far less concerned with the alternative to the badly trained and managed dogs. Truth be told with many of these "fakers" is their dogs can be equally as task trained as, per say, mine. The then sticky situation turns to what makes their dogs accompaniment any less valid at that moment than mine? At no point does the ADA quantify the amount of time one must use their dog.

That said, this is a loophole and those who blatantly admit a false need and use of convenience are thus invalid and illegal. However, we all have difficulties and dogs can be trained to better our lives in a variety of ways, it gets very interesting these days with the spectrum of uses becoming socially acceptable.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
While I don't disagree I do find myself far less concerned with the alternative to the badly trained and managed dogs. Truth be told with many of these "fakers" is their dogs can be equally as task trained as, per say, mine. The then sticky situation turns to what makes their dogs accompaniment any less valid at that moment than mine? At no point does the ADA quantify the amount of time one must use their dog.

That said, this is a loophole and those who blatantly admit a false need and use of convenience are thus invalid and illegal. However, we all have difficulties and dogs can be trained to better our lives in a variety of ways, it gets very interesting these days with the spectrum of uses becoming socially acceptable.
I feel lazy now, but I'm going to quote you again because it's exactly how I feel.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Truth be told with many of these "fakers" is their dogs can be equally as task trained as, per say, mine. The then sticky situation turns to what makes their dogs accompaniment any less valid at that moment than mine? At no point does the ADA quantify the amount of time one must use their dog.
No, but the ADA DOES say that the handler must be disabled, and the dog has to be task trained to mitigate that disability. No disability = no service dog.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
It's not a loophole. If you're not disabled, it's not your SD.

If your spouse has a mobility assistance dog, it is illegal for you to take that trained SD on a jaunt to the store because you're not disabled and it's not your SD.

If you don't have a disability, you have no right to have a SD in public no matter how well or task trained it is.

If the "fakers" do have a disability, and their dogs are just as task trained as yours, then they are SD handlers and aren't fakers. It's as simple as that.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Ahhh, but it seems these days everyone has at least one disability. It's very interesting, especially on this forum.

For an example, a gal I train with has RA, used her dog as an assistant for a plane ride, worked the dog for the ride and hasn't found the need since, faker? Debatable.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ahhh, but it seems these days everyone has at least one disability. It's very interesting, especially on this forum.
Disability has a legal definition. It's not just what someone decides to have one day. A diagnosis is not a disability. A disability is something that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as breathing, walking, thinking, speaking. Most people with some sort of diagnosis are not disabled by it.

1 in 4 Americans has a diagnosed mental illness. The vast majority of them are not disabled by it, and as such would not be eligible for a service dog.