Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Harlow had some UTI issues on TOTW, but that is my only complaint.
Whoa, interesting, Enda had some urinary problems for a while, and it was peak around the time she was on TotW, I've taken her off cranberry and she's still doing better now, she had "puppy vaginitis" and I noticed it would come back after she came out of season, but I've yet to notice it again this time, Hmm...
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Puppy Dog

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
I do have to agree that you have to feed your dogs what is best for them.

I have neighbors that feed dog chow and the dogs are living long healthy lives. I could never suggest feeding them a more expensive food when they are doing so well on the dog chow.
Hello Barbo4,

If the dog chow you're referring to is Purina Dog Chow, those dogs are going to have very serious problems, just a matter of time...

The ingredients in this toxic mess are the perfect examples of what must be avoided... looking at Puppy Chow, there's only one meat ingredient listed as "beef" as the ninth ingredient... compare that to the best kibble, Orijen Puppy, which has ten fish/meat ingredients and not one of the ingredients listed below in Dog Chow...

They actually add dangerous color to the food to make it look better along with propylene glycol which is used in tobacco, anti-freeze, smoke machines, aircraft de-icing fluids, hydraulic presses, toothpaste, and cosmetics, as a solvent in acrylics, stains, inks and dyes, and in cellophane and brake fluid.

That's just for starters. All these other ingredients in this stuff are brutal for cats/dogs: Whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, whole grain wheat, animal fat, soybean meal, brewers rice, meat and bone meal, animal digest, sugar, fish oil, salt, dried yeast, phosphoric acid, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2 and menadione sodium bisulfite complex.

So pet owners can feed inexpensive, dangerous foods now and then pay big money to vets later, along with the pain and suffering that comes with it.

You're absolutely right saying "I do have to agree that you have to feed your dogs what is best for them" but this stuff is at the opposite end.

Products form Purina, Pedigree and Ol' Roy are among the best sellers because they're so cheap and they are among the three brands of pet foods that are the most dangerous for cats/dogs.
Best regards, Roger Biduk
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
Whoa, interesting, Enda had some urinary problems for a while, and it was peak around the time she was on TotW, I've taken her off cranberry and she's still doing better now, she had "puppy vaginitis" and I noticed it would come back after she came out of season, but I've yet to notice it again this time, Hmm...
I mean, it MAY have been a coincidence, because Boxer's are prone to UTI's anyways.. But, she hasn't had any other problems, except with one other food that I'm aware of. The vet said she thought it was based on the protein levels of TOTW. :shrugs: May or may not hold weight, but like I said, we haven't had any problems since, so..

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Love my pets

Roger Biduk, I do agree that I personally wouldn't feed dog chow, but my neighbor does. Her dogs (boxer mixes) have lived till 14 and 15 years old with no health problems except old age. There is no way she would listen to you or a nutritionist when she has had nothing but the best results using it.

As we both agree, it's a personal choice what you want to feed your pets.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Bumping this up as I just bought a bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine (with roasted Lamb). it was basically the only kibble I could find that was grain free and didn't have some sort of chicken in it.

Beezer can't do Chicken and now I'm thinking he's developed an allergy to grain, hence trying a new food. I'm a little concerned about how long this bag is going to last at $50 a pop if I'm feeding two dogs 3 cups each a day but I'm hoping it will clear up the allergy issues Beezer is having.

I am using up the last of our old food and adding a little of TOTW in. Belle gobbled it down like it was going out of style... but she also eats poop so I don't put much stock in her sense of taste lol. Beezer was a little more conservative about eating it but he seemed to like it well enough.

I'm hoping they do well on it.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Bumping this up as I just bought a bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine (with roasted Lamb). it was basically the only kibble I could find that was grain free and didn't have some sort of chicken in it.

Beezer can't do Chicken and now I'm thinking he's developed an allergy to grain, hence trying a new food. I'm a little concerned about how long this bag is going to last at $50 a pop if I'm feeding two dogs 3 cups each a day but I'm hoping it will clear up the allergy issues Beezer is having.

I am using up the last of our old food and adding a little of TOTW in. Belle gobbled it down like it was going out of style... but she also eats poop so I don't put much stock in her sense of taste lol. Beezer was a little more conservative about eating it but he seemed to like it well enough.

I'm hoping they do well on it.
You shouldn't have to feed them 3 cups each a day on the TOTW, unless they're a lot bigger than I think

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
You shouldn't have to feed them 3 cups each a day on the TOTW, unless they're a lot bigger than I think
Oh... because on the back of the bag it says 60-80 lbs 3- 3 1/2 cups a day

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Oh... because on the back of the bag it says 60-80 lbs 3- 3 1/2 cups a day
My general rule of thumb.. whatever the bag is telling you, give half of that. It's usually double what they really need. I mean, adjust accordingly, keep an eye on body condition, but usually for regular medium sized dogs with regular activity levels..2 1/2 is about the average.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

TOTW is generally one of the lower calorie per cups grain free foods (not sure about hte lamb specifically). Some dogs do need near the same amount as they do on grain inclusive but others dont.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:09 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
My general rule of thumb.. whatever the bag is telling you, give half of that. It's usually double what they really need. I mean, adjust accordingly, keep an eye on body condition, but usually for regular medium sized dogs with regular activity levels..2 1/2 is about the average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
TOTW is generally one of the lower calorie per cups grain free foods (not sure about hte lamb specifically). Some dogs do need near the same amount as they do on grain inclusive but others dont.
Hmmm interesting. Well they both could stand to lose a little weight so I'm going to cut back on the serving amount and see what happens. Beezer is pretty active... Belle is against all activity unless it involves a critter lol otherwise she just wants to sleep on he couch. So maybe I'll cut it down to two cups and just watch them.

G.K. Chesterton