Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Not everyone that chooses to use some of the registration programs for SDs are "faking" it.

I know people that choose to use the certification places, because they provide little badges which prevents as many questions from being asked by stores.

People do fake them but not everyone that uses them does. I find that attitude offensive.
I am annoyed by the badges because I get asked for one. And then get to play 20 questions when I say those aren't required.

I didn't come to Target/the grocery store/wherever to provide full legal discourse on who's allowed to have a SD. I came to shop/eat/get business done.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Not everyone that chooses to use some of the registration programs for SDs are "faking" it.

I know people that choose to use the certification places, because they provide little badges which prevents as many questions from being asked by stores.

People do fake them but not everyone that uses them does. I find that attitude offensive.
You can get patches elsewhere, and they're just as effective, if not more effective, than the "certified' or "registered" IDs. You can even get disability-specific ones if that's your style (I have autism ones because I got a lot of questions about what he's for before I got them).

I find people flashing IDs/badges and making it harder for the dogs that come after them (without ID) offensive and counterproductive. Also, if you REALLY want a badge, it's simple enough to make one yourself. No need to support scammy businesses.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Which I'd venture is why people get patches. Sucks tho, I feel ya.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I am annoyed by the badges because I get asked for one. And then get to play 20 questions when I say those aren't required.

I didn't come to Target/the grocery store/wherever to provide full legal discourse on who's allowed to have a SD. I came to shop/eat/get business done.
I agree. I also get asked for one. I do have one for my dog because in the area I live in, it makes it easier for us.

I feel it is a personal preference that every SD handler should be able to make on their own, without worry about being called, "fake".

*My dog does have a little id badge but he does not wear it. I do however keep it and these nifty little ADA law cards in my purse. It is easier to explain to people with the little ADA law cards. He does wear a vest in public that does have patches on it, but that is all he wears, none of the collar tags etc.*
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Which I'd venture is why people get patches. Sucks tho, I feel ya.
Oh, I use patches and a vest that clearly label the dog as working. I don't mind having the vest on the dog at all. That's not a big deal to me, and I don't know many people that think it is.

I just mind getting asked for my SD's ID and certification badge because "the SD that came before had one".

It's irritating. I don't mind answering questions most of the time either, unless I've got other things going on, or CAN'T answer most questions at the time they're being asked.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I think it's a matter of preference, but what the issue is, is when businesses start to think it's legally required.

I carry very little gear for myself and my dog anywhere. I cannot be arsed to carry law cards, an ID badge, anything besides basic necessities.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I think it's a matter of preference, but what the issue is, is when businesses start to think it's legally required.

I carry very little gear for myself and my dog anywhere. I cannot be arsed to carry law cards, an ID badge, anything besides basic necessities.
I do think that is a valid issue and businesses need to keep up on the laws better than they do.

I understand that. I just happen to like huge purses. LOL
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Traveling?
I guess this is what confused me. You're saying here some states have certification/ID options for handlers, and that implies USA (unless you meant Mexico?). Do you know what states they are? Because I haven't heard of any offering anything like that. None of them require it.

The only thing I can think of that comes close is the city of Seattle has a disability registry for people with disabilities, not just SD handlers, that allows them to get deals on utilities, food assistance, etc. They have an option to register your SD with the city so that you can get a discounted license tag, but that's the only thing they offer. It's the same license every other dog gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I'm just going to butt in and say that now, quite a few states have certification/identification options for SD handlers. I'm sure it also really helps if they are traveling as well.
How do SD handlers from places that don't require certification deal with traveling to a place that does? It never occurred to me before.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
How do SD handlers from places that don't require certification deal with traveling to a place that does? It never occurred to me before.
I think it depends on where you're coming from and where you're going. I did a bit of research to see what it would take to use Logan if I ever went to the UK, and pretty much since he's OT I'd be out of luck unless I could find an ADI program willing to certify him (highly unlikely, since most programs only certify their own dogs). Taking an SD from the UK and using it here, though, would be no issue at all.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I guess this is what confused me. You're saying here some states have certification/ID options for handlers, and that implies USA (unless you meant Mexico?). Do you know what states they are? Because I haven't heard of any offering anything like that. None of them require it.

The only thing I can think of that comes close is the city of Seattle has a disability registry for people with disabilities, not just SD handlers, that allows them to get deals on utilities, food assistance, etc. They have an option to register your SD with the city so that you can get a discounted license tag, but that's the only thing they offer. It's the same license every other dog gets.

Ohh, no, it was just 2 different statements so I put space between them. Mostly so I could see that I mentioned both parts.

I'm not sure exactly *which* states, but I am fairly certain it's been mentioned previously that North Carolina does, and I believe Ohio and NY do. At least, that's what it looked like looking through the laws quickly to double check that I wasn't just making things up.

I'm not sure what they do exactly. I know one person went, and just never happened to be asked so it wasn't an issue -- but they didn't go into restaurant or anything as they were with family. Another person I know of coming into Canada from the US just planned to not go anywhere alone. I believe an option they looked into was getting a doctor's note stating they needed the dog, why they needed the dog and what the dog does.

I'm not sure, honestly, what would happen had they been stopped and asked while in the store, though probably would have just been asked to leave. I'm not even sure what's all necessary to bring a SD from Canada in around here, though, other than knowing that they can ask many more questions and ask you to leave a lot easier.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13