Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

Default Fake service dogs

I've come across this a LOT in my travels, primarily with homeless dog owners, and traveling vagrants. They basically print out some fake service dogs tags with a picture of their dog, their name, their condition, etc. and use it so their dogs have full access to everything a regular service dog has. The owner can bring the dog on buses, trains, in stores, etc. and no one, even if they have reason to suspect the dog isn't an actual service dog, can question it.

I don't know why, since in MOST cases, it's not hurting anyone, but this REALLY annoys me. Anyone else ever run into this? Thoughts?

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Glutton for Crazy

This is a common discussion on this forum since a ton of members seem to have SDs or SDiTs.

My question is how do you know with such clarity that they're fake?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

This pisses me off to no end.

Honestly? If a dog is wearing a photo ID or certain patches/vests, I would be willing to bet the dog is fake. Those who have real service dogs know that ID/certification is not required, and any certification you're going to find aside from with an actual program (and they really only certify their own dogs) is going to be a scam. Aside from that, behavior gives it away pretty quickly.

I have a vest with patches for Logan, and a harness with one small patch on the front. I use either both, or the harness alone. I've noticed that I get less questions with just the harness, with one exception - if I'm going to Lowe's and I DON'T use the vest, EVERY employee will try to pet my dog. I'm assuming tihs is because they allow dogs anyway, so unless it's really glaringly obvious he's a working dog, they assume he's a pet.

We had an aggressive dog in at the clinic last week. This dog was purchased a few years ago to be a service dog, but quickly became WAY too aggressive, and is otherwise overall very poorly trained (not even leash manners). We were all under the impression this dog had been washed out after the vet said he's not suited to being a service dog...and then to our horror, the guy says he still takes his dog to Walgreens and grocery stores sometimes I hope I NEVER run into that dog in a store.

Which brings up another point. There are two kinds of "fake" service dogs. Those that belong to actual disabled people who are desperate, uninformed, or misinformed. They need a service dog, and they THINK their dog is a service dog, when it's really not (usually because of lack of training and/or poor temperament). Then there are those that belong to people who are not disabled and do not need a service dog and just want to drag along Princess Fluffy Snookums because they can or because they want attention. The former I generally call huggers, the latter I call fakers.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
This is a common discussion on this forum since a ton of members seem to have SDs or SDiTs.

My question is how do you know with such clarity that they're fake?
In my case, I've had people proudly admit it too me, and tell me how easy it is, and even try to persuade me to do it with my own dogs...which of course I'd never do.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 02-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

The only thing that pisses me off is that dogs aren't allowed everywhere anyway If a dog is well behaved and acting appropriately I don't care where they are at all. and on the other hand, i don't care if the dog is an actual service dog, if it's not acting like it should, GTFO.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
The Monster.

Funny, I take my dog everywhere (except places that serve or sell food). I'm surprised people feel the need to fake a SD to do that. I guess this post is mostly pointless - I'm just glad to live in a dog friendly city.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
i don't care if the dog is an actual service dog, if it's not acting like it should, GTFO.
Indeed! It's a shame so many places are afraid of kicking SDs out when they don't act like SDs. They have every right to kick them out.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

I saw one that bugged me a little the other day. I was in a grocery store, buying some stuff in the self checkout lanes, and a young woman behind me checking out started squeaking a dog toy at a little dog she had with her, saying "this one? this one?", and then gave the toy to the dog to play with, there on the floor of the grocery store, while she paid for it.

I don't know that she specifically claimed the dog as a service dog, or if the store employees just didn't even ask, because it's easier to just act like it's a service dog. Hey, for all I know, the dog was a service dog. But I think playing with a squeaky toy in a grocery store is inappropriate behavior for a SD.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
and on the other hand, i don't care if the dog is an actual service dog, if it's not acting like it should, GTFO.
This, forever.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
i don't care if the dog is an actual service dog, if it's not acting like it should, GTFO.
This I atleast agree with you on.