Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Sloan is working on corner precision and starts of tracks, she is a bit over zealous and over shoots but settles in quickly, I don't want her missing a track because of this shotgun behavior. We're also working on building more eye contact on a heel. Denis never cared so she has a loose checking in style of heel and I'm trying to flash it up a bit, she looks so pretty when she's there. We're also proofing weave entries and playing with weaving between my legs. I am trying to clean up her front a bit as she loves pivots so much she tends to lean to the left.

Backup is working on straight short tracks.

Today I found the glitch (thanks to someone's suggestion in the agility thread) with his 2x2 entry. He can nose target but cannot do it when asked to leave the reward. He'll shoot past and come back on the target with the reward in eye sight. Today we worked on trying to achieve this. It was... Frustrating. lol We'll be tackling this for a while.

Arnold forgot "down". Ummm... Der.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.

Last edited by AdrianneIsabel; 02-19-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Zander is working on basic stuffs, going over simple commands and distractions just to proof him for the cross country trip, as well as the airplane. When we get to Memphis, he'll get re-acquainted with the kennel, too. Since he's a generally skittish dog, it's nice to just go over everything and make sure his nerves are as solid as possible and nothing is a surprise.

Also, he seems to have randomly forgotten to HOLD STILL while being picked up. Or rather, he's gotten a wild hair up his butt and decided zoomies are WAY more fun than being picked up. So we're working on that.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

I'm working on Jack's loose leash walking. It's going...um... well. Lets just say he's figured out that if he turns around the leash is loose is he can go forawrd again so he essentially just spins in a circle and hits the end of the leash, and repeats. Or he'll sit down and bound forward, sit and bound, sit and bound. So i'm gonna have to rethink this. Or just not take him on walks.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri has almost got her frog legs trick down <3 She's kinda adorable.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakash View Post
I'm working on Jack's loose leash walking. It's going...um... well. Lets just say he's figured out that if he turns around the leash is loose is he can go forawrd again so he essentially just spins in a circle and hits the end of the leash, and repeats. Or he'll sit down and bound forward, sit and bound, sit and bound. So i'm gonna have to rethink this. Or just not take him on walks.
You just need to remember to reward him WHILE he's holding proper position, BEFORE he hits the end of the leash and comes back. This happens all the time in my classes when people ONLY reward after the dog has made a mistake and hit the end of the leash, then comes back for the treat. Feed him for holding his position near you.

Also look up silky lead training, it's pretty good!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

Our current to do list:

Zuma
-wrapping jumps as always (why did she have to inherit the BC outrun??)
-jumping earlier in disc for big air
-retraining our dog catch
-over the arms trick for disc

Zinga
-started a-frame work, currently driving over a lowered a-frame into 2o2o
-lowered dog walk work, currently driving down the down ramp into 2o2o
-teeter work, currently at a full teeter driving into 2o2o
-table work, lots of games to help impulse control and to hammer in the auto down and stays
-start line stays, using crate games to help with that
-back stall for disc
-exercise ball work to help teach non-spazziness in certain tricks (sit pretty, etc)
-big air work for disc
-flat work for disc

Zip
-puppy stuff!
-hand touches for toys
-crate games
-lots of impulse control work
-don't chase the cat
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Plus One

I'm working on walking the dogs as a group and not spazzing out and barking at every person or dog we see.

Last night I was walking 4 and we were able to walk past a dog on the far side of the road without them barking! Success!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
You just need to remember to reward him WHILE he's holding proper position, BEFORE he hits the end of the leash and comes back. This happens all the time in my classes when people ONLY reward after the dog has made a mistake and hit the end of the leash, then comes back for the treat. Feed him for holding his position near you.

Also look up silky lead training, it's pretty good!
I haven't even tried rewarding him with treats on the walk. I'm gonna go out and get some hot dogs and work with him at home for a while. He gets a bit bouncy when there's high value treats involved and I didn't want him jumping all around the road. And by bouncy I mean he jumps to my head level. Again and again and again. He's adorable. Thanks for the tips! I needed some fresh ideas
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Aware

The biggest thing I'm working on right now is perfecting Deke's retrieve, which is going pretty well.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakash View Post
I haven't even tried rewarding him with treats on the walk. I'm gonna go out and get some hot dogs and work with him at home for a while. He gets a bit bouncy when there's high value treats involved and I didn't want him jumping all around the road. And by bouncy I mean he jumps to my head level. Again and again and again. He's adorable. Thanks for the tips! I needed some fresh ideas
LOL omg I love dogs that do that, I can't help but think what nice OB heeling dogs they would make!

He sounds like a blast! Have fun!