Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Top Dog

This is going to sound weird (and probably dumb considering all the other very sound advice you've gotten) but better socialization to hats, sunglasses, and facial hair. And tall/big men with deep voices.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
This is going to sound weird (and probably dumb considering all the other very sound advice you've gotten) but better socialization to hats, sunglasses, and facial hair. And tall/big men with deep voices.
I have a list of things to encounter. I'm taking hats and such along when I take her into work and making people put them on Not that I'm paranoid or anything.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I have a list of things to encounter. I'm taking hats and such along when I take her into work and making people put them on Not that I'm paranoid or anything.
Oh good! I didn't do a good job of this with Mu and sometimes she still reacts to some random combination of those things. It's horribly embarrassing when your small cute dog is acting like the gigantic dude with glasses and a mountain man beard wants to eat her when all he wants to do is cuddle.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
orange iguanas.

LLW, keeping a cool head around other dogs (saw the warning signs early, shrugged it off as puppy behavior), relaxation at home.

Those are really the only things that ended up causing me trouble later on...

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

As far as socialization - I would have liked to be more organized and had a better plan with it. I sort of just thought bringing my dog a lot of places and introducing him to people and having him around a few other dogs, would mean he'd be "socialized".

I never took into account setting up specific situations (people of different races, wheelchairs, etc) OR recognizing signs it wasn't going well, past the basic growling, pinned ears, typical fear behavior.

Also, I wish I hadn't let him on my lap the way I did. 24/7, thinking it was sweet how attached he was. It was adorable until he wanted to murder anyone else who got close to me.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Top Dog

This a list of things, sounds and experiences that I started with the litter. So she knows a lot of it, but I would certainly continue with it and anything else you come up with.

Whistles: people and sports whistles including the new electronic ones (purchased at most sport stores)
Banging everything and anything to makke loud or sharp nosies, i.e blocks of wood, spoons on pans, keys on aluminum etc.
Clapping and cheering, with lots of people.
Feet stomping
Hats and halloween costumes i.e masks etc.
Weird kid's hats.
Loud music
Mircophones
Bells of various types
Party noise makers and sport event horns.
Bang on walls, doors etc.
She knows how to move a small skateboard and rolling a cookie tin on it's side.
She has also been on a mini teeter

Meals in an xpen set up beside truck stops, construction sites or busy intersection.
Snowmobiles racing (nothing like that sound), Atv's, tractors etc.
And so on...............
I am hoping so smuggle Punky into the local arena and watch a hockey game.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
such sights to show you

I really wish I had sent Squash on some sleepovers to the neighbors, friends' houses, and boarding kennels when he was wee. The first time we went on vacation without him, he stayed at our neighbors. They are very experienced dog people and he goes over to play in their yard with their dog all the time, but he wouldn't go into their house at first. Everything turned out fine, but it was stressful.

I also wish that I hadn't been so charmed by some of his attention getting strategies. But god help me, they still charm me most of the time... it's just that 1 in 10 when I'm annoyed by them that makes me wish they didn't.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Puppy Dog

Loose leash walking.

It's my major pet peeve with Gypsy. Try and try and try as I might, she will not walk LOOSELY. She doesn't pull much but she keeps the leash taunt. It's a horrible habit now, and one I'm failing to break.

GYPSY, border collie & Australian shepherd mix, 1/10/10
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten&Gypsy View Post
Loose leash walking.

It's my major pet peeve with Gypsy. Try and try and try as I might, she will not walk LOOSELY. She doesn't pull much but she keeps the leash taunt. It's a horrible habit now, and one I'm failing to break.
Have you tried silky leash training?

It's the only thing that worked for Frag and is working for Recon.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

Well, I didn't have either of my dogs as puppies, but things I wish someone would have done with them...and things I would make sure to do if I ever end up with a puppy...

Instilling that you taking things away from her means BETTER THINGS. That trading is the best game ever and whatever treat/toy you have in your hand is MUCH BETTER than what she has.

Teaching them how to be polite for nail trims/baths/ear cleanings/etc, including handling from strangers.

That crates are the best things ever, and crate time equals quiet/chill time.