Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Default Recon is 7 months old!

I just wanted to gush for a moment. Recon turned 7 months old yesterday and I'm just ecstatic with the dog he's becoming! :rockon:

He's such a thinker and I just love it. We've been doing intermediate agility skills classes for the last month and a half, and he's doing fantastic. Has the biggest drive and joy for agility. Contacts are coming along GREAT, he LOVES weaves, and is nailing entrances with me from a stand still or 10 feet to the side at any angle. Noises don't bother him, and of course he is FAST. It's nice having a quick dog to keep up with/work with.

He's also in a nosework class currently where he's a champ as well... easily finding hides now within a minute in a large, smelly, grooming room with chairs, vacuum cleaners, tables, grooming supplies, other dogs, etc. I've been talking to some trainers and I'm hoping to do some detection training with him.

His obedience is also coming along great; nice rear end awareness now, shaping his retrieve is going slow but happy. He'll retrieve a dumbell from about 10 feet now and bring it back about 3/4 of the way before he outs on his own, which we're working on.

Frisbee drive is insane as well, so there's definitely a chance at doing some disc competitions in the future.

We're hoping to get his first CGC by springtime. He's just working on staying put on the ground once approached by strangers... he's still popping up 50% of the time for face licks. XD

The only complaints I have are that he's missing a nut and his ears won't stand. :P and that dreaded butt fluff... needs to be trimmed up and blown out again.

Here he is!

Laying down? by DJetzel, on Flickr

I'm extremely glad I picked the breeder I did, and the puppy that I did. He was the highest drive male in the litter, and has the nicest temperament. Great on/off switch, too, thankfully!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Show Dog

Wow, congratulations!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Club Terrible - President

Gah, he is too cute!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Little dog, big voice

He sounds like a great little dog, and I love how he doesn't have the tri markings on his face. I'm excited to hear about all your future endeavors and watch him grow!

And on the floppy ears note, I completely understand that. Cali's ears never fully stood up and it still drives me crazy sometimes but I've somewhat learned to deal with it. At least when it's windy, when can make it look like her ears are fully up!

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Yay for Recon! I love that little BC.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Top Dog

Thank you guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Mae View Post
He sounds like a great little dog, and I love how he doesn't have the tri markings on his face. I'm excited to hear about all your future endeavors and watch him grow!

And on the floppy ears note, I completely understand that. Cali's ears never fully stood up and it still drives me crazy sometimes but I've somewhat learned to deal with it. At least when it's windy, when can make it look like her ears are fully up!
I love that, too. He all but grew out of them. There IS a super small patch underneath both of his ears, but basically he has a bi-face, which I adore.

Haha I love Recon's ears in the wind. I'm not going to be devastated if they don't stand (and I've thought about taping/gluing) but it would be nice. I'm going to shave them down a bit today or tomorrow so that they're lighter and see what happens for a few weeks before I decide if I'll tape. I just don't want to be all superficial.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

I love his ears! I think he is the handsomest handsome boy. Maybe just giving the ears a little help will get them to stick up. Can't wait to see how he matures.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

He has my favourite kind of Border Collie ears! Such a handsome boy. And you've accomplished so much with him already. He sounds wonderful. I now feel waaay behind with me puppy in comparison haha.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I love his ears! I think he is the handsomest handsome boy. Maybe just giving the ears a little help will get them to stick up. Can't wait to see how he matures.
Thank you! Yes I'm thinking just a little help and they'll get there. He has developed very randomly so maybe those are just last on the list. Most of his littermate's were up around 5-6 months tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
He has my favourite kind of Border Collie ears! Such a handsome boy. And you've accomplished so much with him already. He sounds wonderful. I now feel waaay behind with me puppy in comparison haha.
Thank you! He is a joy to work with, that's for sure. Haha and don't feel behind... We didn't start doing much regularly until about 4.5 months. Just basics and foundations and tricks, plus a TON of recall while we were at the park. So he's really just started gettig active... I wanted to make sure a lot of engagement and bond was there before getting us both in over our heads in sports and activities.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Vizsla mom

He is super handsome! I love, love his ears. How big is he