Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Default Fundraising Ideas

I would really like to enroll Ivan in an obedience class. He's a lot of dog and it will give him a better chance at being adopted safely and help build confidence in him. I was looking at some local trainers and the cost is on average of $500.

I was thinking of having some sort of fundraiser for the cost of the classes but am drawing a blank at what I can do.

What are some things you guys have done that was successful?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Show Dog

To be honest I don't think people will give you money to train your dog. Fundraising is usually for things like charities or people in bad situations such as illness or disasters.

Why not do some research online for dog training, get books from the library and train your dog yourself. Could actually be fun and a bonding opportunity for you and your fur buddy.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

That seems really high! I live in an expensive area, and I haven't seen classes run more than $200 and that seemed really, really high.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Do any local rescues have trainers you could speak to?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

Ivan is my foster dog, he's not mine. I'm a volunteer for a registered dog rescue.

I guess I could ask other rescues what trainers they use in my area. Could be a good place to start in terms of finding a decent trainer at a decent price.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

What about finding a private trainer and explaining to them that he's a foster dog? May cut you a deal of some sort. The shelter around here is a yardsale fundraiser every year where people donate gently used pet gear (and other stuff) to raise money, besides regular walkathons and adoption events.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

That seems like a ridiculously high price. My trainer charges $60-$90 for 6-8 weeks of class, depending on the class - everything from puppy kindergarten to competition level obedience, rally, and conformation. Even the expensive places like Petsmart and Petco only charge around $100-$120 for 6-8 weeks.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Silence, peasants.

Yeah, those prices seem insane to me. Most 6-8 week classes around here don't top $150.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Big Dog

Is he having specific problems or are you just wanting to do obedience with him? Won't most shelter/organizations pay for it if its a specific problem you are working him through?

My trainer has drop in obedience classes for $8 per week. How long is $500 for? Maybe you can work out a payment plan.