Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm more of a markings person than anything. I just really don't care for merle at all in any breed. Not sure why but it just doesn't appeal except on very certain dogs. I really like the less flashy colors like tri or black and white. But as long as I have variety I'm good. I need markings on my dogs. I like the fact that I've had 7 papillons and none are marked the same.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Getting another dog would really mean I'd be working a lot less with Mia because my next dog would likely be just as much dog as Mia. I wouldn't be able to take any less now without being disappointed.

[...]

I am realizing I probably won't get a third dog till Mia is 5 or 6 at the LEAST (and Summer would be in double digits) and I'm oddly enough okay with that. Mia is all the dog I really need at the moment (and more than enough fun lol). So yeah... completely satisfied with the dog I have right now.
^this, pretty much word for word, but stick an 'r' in the middle of Mia's name . And with Mira at 5-6, Kim and Web still won't be in double digits. Oh, and K & W are no where near retirement either lol.

The one possible exception would be if we ("we" being Mira's co-owner and I) decided to breed Mira at some point but even then...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-02-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
^this, pretty much word for word, but stick an 'r' in the middle of Mia's name . And with Mira at 5-6, Kim and Web still won't be in double digits. Oh, and K & W are no where near retirement either lol.

The one possible exception would be if we ("we" being Mira's co-owner and I) decided to breed Mira at some point but even then...
I think Sumemr may be done with training. She's starting to act a bit arthritic. Might try something easier on her joints like rally. I should get her into the vet to see what's going on. She's been sore acting all week for some unknown reason.

Kind of sucks because we were SO CLOSE to being ready to compete in agility.

Sorry for OT.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 PM
orange iguanas.

I looooove merles and blue eyes. I think either of those traits instantly make any dog that much more awesome looking lol. But I don't think I'll ever stumble upon a merle BC. I'm not all that excited about black & white (maybe because I already have 2 B&W dogs) but red & white is starting to grow on me. But eh, at the end of the day I can overlook that. I don't like Juno's color.... but I don't dislike her. Most of the time.

And since the subject is kind of headed in that direction.... I have puppy fever in the worst way right now. Argh.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

It is like puppy heaven at work right now. OMG!!

This past week I saw:

Keeshond puppy, mini poodle puppy, sheltie puppy, maltese puppy, about 5 whateveroodle puppies, a lab puppy. I was fine until I picked up the lab and got a big wiff of puppy breath. OMG I want a puppy NOW!

Won't be happening anytime soon though

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Top Dog

Leave for three weeks and it's impossible to catch up on everything! Finally a thread that I can easily reply to, LOL. So, here is my current list, which constantly changes a bit.

1) Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever... always. In fact, at this very moment, I kind of feel like I only want Tollers, haha.

2) Rottweiler... more and more I find myself wishing we had Rottweilers still. I loved them. I could do without the constant panting in the summer, but there were so many fabulous things about the breed I really truly miss.

3) German Shepherd Dog.... all the different types and lines totally confuse me, and honestly, liking GSDs is relatively new to me. But I've met a few recently that have blown me away, and if I could find a nice one, I think they'd be a great fit for me.

4) Siberian Husky... what's not to love? I even find the undesirable traits endearing overall. I love them.

5) Dalmatian.... not sure if realistically I'll ever own another or not, but I've adored them for as long as I can remember.

6) Shikoku... not really realistic at all, but they sure are gorgeous to look at. I'd love to meet some.

7) English Shepherd... not only are they some of the prettiest dogs I've ever seen, but on paper they sound nearly perfect for me. I need to meet some.

8) Doberman Pinscher... not sure if I'll own another or not, but I love mine (most days lol) and I do love the breed as a whole. I have really enjoyed experiencing living with Dobermans for the past 6yrs.

9) Australian Shepherd... they've been on and off my list for the past 6 or 7 years. I'm very picky about them, but there are a lot of traits I love about this breed and I think I would like to have one someday. They have a tendency to constantly lure me back again and again. We shall see!

10) Belgian Shepherds (mainly Groenendael, but I like them all)... first of all, I love the way they look. They're very, very pretty. Temperamentally, I really like them as well for the most part. But, having met a handful of very drivey dogs combined with not very stable temperaments (IMO -- they were very nervy) has kind of turned me off a bit/made me leery of ever personally owning one. I need to meet some more nice, solid temperaments.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I'm more of a markings person than anything. I just really don't care for merle at all in any breed. Not sure why but it just doesn't appeal except on very certain dogs. I really like the less flashy colors like tri or black and white. But as long as I have variety I'm good. I need markings on my dogs. I like the fact that I've had 7 papillons and none are marked the same.

I was always this way my entire life - never had a solid colored dog before. But that will be changing this weekend, with a black (or possibly bronze) Patterdale. Totally out of my lifelong requirement for white markings! lol I guess that means there's still time to change your mind.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 04-09-2011, 10:33 PM
love herds

I have a top twenty or so that I flip between

1. Collie <3 Always on the list I fell hard for this 8 month old gal but the time was not right

2. Australian shepherd, this varies from day to day depending on how much of a pain Desoto is being. A red tri girl would be nice

3. Australian Cattle dog (love them but the DA scares me having dealt with it)

4. GSD the lines confuse me and I have met so many I am not fans of but if I could find one like I had growing up through a rescue I would scoop it up! Bonus points if it is black and has minimal angulation

Those are usually my top four the next few frequent the list often

5. Cocker spaniel. I keep telling myself to save them for a little later in life, own my 'drivey' breeds now....then I come across a chocolate or chocolate parti and I crumble

6. Golden retriever (nothing sweeter than an old golden, I would love to adopt one! I would also consider strong working lines pup)

7. Chihuahua

8. Standard poodle (big and black)

9 Westie

10. Newfoundland

Others include papillions, most mastiffs, st bernards, pyrs, cardigans (along with pretty well all other herding breeds)

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

Is it ok to dig up a post this old?? I just found it and had such fun reading through everyone's top choices, so interested to see what people like!

Here are mine. My next dog is almost certainly going to be one of the first three for sure, but the others are in no particular order, and are all dogs I'm interested in, or possibly would like to own some day...

1. Malinois

2. Dutch Shepherd

3. Working line GSD

4. Rough Collie (another one, maybe someday...but I really prefer the more "old style" look like this dog here)

5. Beauceron (really like the merle!)

6. Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (again, maybe another one someday...)

7. Czechoslovakian Vlcak

8. Australian Cattle Dog

9. A mid content or possibly really selectively bred high content wolfdog (big MAYBE here...I admire them from afar and have loved the ones I've met but would have to be in a very particular point in life to go there...)

10. Shetland Sheepdog (if I ever got a small dog it would definitely be a Sheltie!)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Twin 2

It's neat seeing how much my answers would change if I did that right now!

And Kootenay, you definitely have a theme going with yours!

Also, DOGS HAVE TWO EARS!!! TWO!! I hate that it keeps telling me that's wrong.