Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2013, 02:10 AM
JessLough JessLough is online now
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,160
Default Giving liver to dog with anemia...

OK so since Rosey was found to have anemia, we've been giving her liver daily, because it's much cheaper than supplements my vet offered She does get it cooked, because it's just not feasible for us to give it to her raw.

Is there a certain amount I should be giving her? She gets home-cooked meals for dinner, and so the liver is just mixed in with that. I cook it up in large batches, and baggie into daily portions (if I'm gone, others can feed her that way) then freeze and thaw as needed. Her dinners right now are random mix of (some times she gets a bit of everything... sometimes she gets only a couple things, etc, but she always has liver) liver, kidney, pork shoulder, pork chops, chicken thighs, fish, then a little goat and duck. I think that's it. It's been a while

She's 40ish lbs, and is currently getting around 2oz of liver a day. (I think... she gets 115grams of dinner, and about half that is liver)
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Roger Biduk Roger Biduk is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 92
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
OK so since Rosey was found to have anemia, we've been giving her liver daily, because it's much cheaper than supplements my vet offered She does get it cooked, because it's just not feasible for us to give it to her raw.

Is there a certain amount I should be giving her? She gets home-cooked meals for dinner, and so the liver is just mixed in with that. I cook it up in large batches, and baggie into daily portions (if I'm gone, others can feed her that way) then freeze and thaw as needed. Her dinners right now are random mix of (some times she gets a bit of everything... sometimes she gets only a couple things, etc, but she always has liver) liver, kidney, pork shoulder, pork chops, chicken thighs, fish, then a little goat and duck. I think that's it. It's been a while

She's 40ish lbs, and is currently getting around 2oz of liver a day. (I think... she gets 115grams of dinner, and about half that is liver)
Hello JessLough,

Why do you say "it's just not feasible for us to give it to her raw"?
All of your brood should be eating raw, not cooked meats.
Meat temperature over 115 degrees kills the nutrient rich properties of meats.
However, the meats you mentioned are super...

ElleB is wrong saying raw liver doesn't do much... 25% of your dog's diet must contain organ meats (chicken/beef liver, chicken hearts, beef kidneys or chicken gizzards).

Here's a great daily diet for Rosey, 2.5% meat/body weight, takes 5 minutes to make and costs less than $2/day:

3/4 lb of raw chicken, beef, lamb, etc., including bones, fats, etc.
1/4 lb of raw organ meats mentioned above.
1 raw egg.
1 raw meaty rib bone.
2 omega 3-6-9 fish or krill capsules (squeeze out the oil).
1 regular multivitamin, crushed.

Stay away from overpriced veterinarian sold supplements.
Best regards, Roger Biduk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Biduk View Post
Hello JessLough,

Why do you say "it's just not feasible for us to give it to her raw"?
All of your brood should be eating raw, not cooked meats.
Meat temperature over 115 degrees kills the nutrient rich properties of meats.
However, the meats you mentioned are super...

ElleB is wrong saying raw liver doesn't do much... 25% of your dog's diet must contain organ meats (chicken/beef liver, chicken hearts, beef kidneys or chicken gizzards).

Here's a great daily diet for Rosey, 2.5% meat/body weight:

3/4 lb of raw chicken, beef, lamb, etc., including bones, fats, etc.
1/4 lb of raw organ meats mentioned above.
1 raw egg.
1 raw meaty rib bone.
2 omega 3-6-9 fish or krill capsules (squeeze out the oil).
1 regular multivitamin, crushed.

Stay away from overpriced veterinarian sold supplements.
Best regards, Roger Biduk
Roger, I understand you are trying to help people. That's very nice of you and welcome to the forum.

That being said, your preaching of raw is incredibly off putting in addition to be very black and white without understanding there are a lot of various diets out there for dogs and that deciding what you feed your dog needs to be dependent of your dogs and yourself. This forum does not subscribe to the "Only One True Way" of keeping dogs. Lots of variety of people, believes and types here.

You are convincing no one that all dogs should be on raw, you're just frustrating people with your stock answers preaching raw when in reality it's not that simple.

Maybe you could introduce yourself, talk about your pets and participate in other parts of the forum rather than just giving these types of replies that are frustrating everyone.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 PM
adojrts's Avatar
adojrts adojrts is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,089
Default

Diet alone can not fix anemia, if that was the case then we wouldn't need blood transfusions and/or medications to fix it.
My first question is why is she anemic?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2013, 01:30 PM
JessLough JessLough is online now
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Biduk View Post
Hello JessLough,

Why do you say "it's just not feasible for us to give it to her raw"?
All of your brood should be eating raw, not cooked meats.
Meat temperature over 115 degrees kills the nutrient rich properties of meats.
However, the meats you mentioned are super...

ElleB is wrong saying raw liver doesn't do much... 25% of your dog's diet must contain organ meats (chicken/beef liver, chicken hearts, beef kidneys or chicken gizzards).

Here's a great daily diet for Rosey, 2.5% meat/body weight, takes 5 minutes to make and costs less than $2/day:

3/4 lb of raw chicken, beef, lamb, etc., including bones, fats, etc.
1/4 lb of raw organ meats mentioned above.
1 raw egg.
1 raw meaty rib bone.
2 omega 3-6-9 fish or krill capsules (squeeze out the oil).
1 regular multivitamin, crushed.

Stay away from overpriced veterinarian sold supplements.
Best regards, Roger Biduk
Raw nearly killed my ferret. My dog is 16 and can't chew bones. Are you offering to pay NY vet bills?

And obviously this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Roger, I understand you are trying to help people. That's very nice of you and welcome to the forum.

That being said, your preaching of raw is incredibly off putting in addition to be very black and white without understanding there are a lot of various diets out there for dogs and that deciding what you feed your dog needs to be dependent of your dogs and yourself. This forum does not subscribe to the "Only One True Way" of keeping dogs. Lots of variety of people, believes and types here.

You are convincing no one that all dogs should be on raw, you're just frustrating people with your stock answers preaching raw when in reality it's not that simple.

Maybe you could introduce yourself, talk about your pets and participate in other parts of the forum rather than just giving these types of replies that are frustrating everyone.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Diet alone can not fix anemia, if that was the case then we wouldn't need blood transfusions and/or medications to fix it.
My first question is why is she anemic?
It all depends on the level of anemia. People have been fixing minor anemia with diet for many, many years. Its been discussed with multiple vets, all which know I won't just jump to medication. I just forgot to ask amount. (We were slowly building up amount).

As for why she's anemic, she's 16 and her kidneys are working not quite as good as they should be. Old age.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2013, 01:37 PM
adojrts's Avatar
adojrts adojrts is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,089
Default

But bad is the anemia? It is my understanding that dogs don't absorb iron through supplements very well if the anemia is bad. However, if i.v or shots of the supplement is given you can then go to oral supplement.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Biduk View Post
Hello JessLough,

Why do you say "it's just not feasible for us to give it to her raw"?
All of your brood should be eating raw, not cooked meats.
Meat temperature over 115 degrees kills the nutrient rich properties of meats.
However, the meats you mentioned are super...

ElleB is wrong saying raw liver doesn't do much... 25% of your dog's diet must contain organ meats (chicken/beef liver, chicken hearts, beef kidneys or chicken gizzards).

Here's a great daily diet for Rosey, 2.5% meat/body weight, takes 5 minutes to make and costs less than $2/day:

3/4 lb of raw chicken, beef, lamb, etc., including bones, fats, etc.
1/4 lb of raw organ meats mentioned above.
1 raw egg.
1 raw meaty rib bone.
2 omega 3-6-9 fish or krill capsules (squeeze out the oil).
1 regular multivitamin, crushed.

Stay away from overpriced veterinarian sold supplements.
Best regards, Roger Biduk
organ meat is TEN percent. organs are liver, kidney, spleen, etc. gizzards and heart are MUSCLE MEATS not organ!

if you are going to give raw diet advice, get your facts straight before you hurt somebodies dog
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site