Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Really? Telling people their doing it wrong is hardly a Christian thing. On this forum look at some of the discussions on dog food, training, breeding ethics, even how one refers to their designer dog. Nastiness on dog forums about grocery store kibble vs premium kibble vs premade raw vs BARF vs prey model, clicker vs prong vs headcollar, and all vs CM, speuter, crop and dock, confo vs sport vs working.....I could go on and on...

Telling others they are doing it wrong is human nature. In this very thread you and others are telling Christians what is wrong with our faith.....
The difference is when a Christian tells you you're living your life wrong (i.e. not in a "Christian way"), you're going to be tortured for eternity (whether it's actually stated, that's what's implied)

Yes, telling others they're doing it wrong is human nature. At least from what I've read, we aren't telling Christians what's wrong with your individual faith, but what's wrong with the institution, and for me, sharing my personal journey of realizations and negative encounters.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzigane View Post
The difference is when a Christian tells you you're living your life wrong (i.e. not in a "Christian way"), you're going to be tortured for eternity (whether it's actually stated, that's what's implied)

Yes, telling others they're doing it wrong is human nature. At least from what I've read, we aren't telling Christians what's wrong with your individual faith, but what's wrong with the institution, and for me, sharing my personal journey of realizations and negative encounters.
I find it more offensive to have someone tell me I'm killing my dog because I feed kibble or than abusing my dog by using a prong or that my dog will die horribly because I give him pain killers for his elbow dysplasia than I do when someone tells me I'm going to hell. Stuff about my dog plants seeds of doubt. Couldthe kibble be killing them? Is he suffering from the prong? Will the pain killers damage his liver?

Stuff about hell? The speaker has no idea what they are talking about! They have no authority--its between me and God.

And the thing is that MY faith is part if an institution--I identify as a Lutheran. So yes, with people say "Christians do this and Christians do that and Christians think this" it IS insulting because I'm a Christian and I don't do the things listed at all.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm going to get in trouble for quoting the bible but

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

I really just don't understand why people care so much what other people believe. I also do not see how people of any faith or non-faith can't see the offensive things they say about someone else's faith. Like I said before. I do.not.get.it.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I find it more offensive to have someone tell me I'm killing my dog because I feed kibble or than abusing my dog by using a prong or that my dog will die horribly because I give him pain killers for his elbow dysplasia than I do when someone tells me I'm going to hell. Stuff about my dog plants seeds of doubt. Couldthe kibble be killing them? Is he suffering from the prong? Will the pain killers damage his liver?

Stuff about hell? The speaker has no idea what they are talking about! They have no authority--its between me and God.

And the thing is that MY faith is part if an institution--I identify as a Lutheran. So yes, with people say "Christians do this and Christians do that and Christians think this" it IS insulting because I'm a Christian and I don't do the things listed at all.
I don't think anyone has said "Christians do X". Some Christians, yes, that has been said, but never Christians in general. Christians disagree with pretty much everything internally (why else would there be so many denominations and sub-denominations and non-denominations?), so to say that all do X is pretty much always an inaccurate statement. Not to mention even churches within a denomination vary, and then individuals within a single church vary in their beliefs.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Top Dog

I guess I have kind of a dumb question that's always crossed my mind. And of course no one can give a factual answer but I'm just curious.

I've always wondered... if God created the universe (right?) and all of us, what about before people even believed in "our" God and before Christianity even existed? People believed in other things before... was it 'God' who also created the dinosaurs for example?

I've just always been confused on the whole issue. I mean, Buddhism was around before Christianity. Whose to say they're wrong, and we're right? And I know, it's not really about 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to any kind of faith.

I know it's not a black or white issue. And I realize our human minds can't really truly comprehend the depth of this stuff. And I think people forget that God, if he exists, is not a human being. I know Jesus obviously did exist and walked the Earth. Whether or not he was the son of God, I really don't know what I believe.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having faith. I don't think there's anything wrong with .... not. After losing my 5 year old brother, you don't even know how many people told us "He's in a better place" and "it was his time to go". No... it wasn't. It was an ACCIDENT. I appreciate the kind gesture, or people just not knowing what to say. But to tell me that it was time for my 5 year old brother to leave the earth? Is non-sense to me. If there is a God, I don't believe he took him for any reason. It was just... freewill. Everything just happened to go wrong that day and he drowned and died. A horrible tragic accident.

I definitely admit I began questioning my faith after THAT happened. But I certainly don't blame "God". Because if I believe in God, I don't believe he takes people off the earth for a specific reason. Did God really NEED those 3000 people that died on 9/11? No! It was a tragic occurrence. Nobody can convince me that God did that. Those terrorists that day were doing something they thought was beneficial to them because of THEIR religion. Is it their fault that they were basically brain-washed their whole lives into believing something like that?

Obviously there is radicals in every religion that make the rest of 'em look crazy. My best friends family is very Catholic. I don't agree with everything they believe in, but they're good people, and I've never felt like I'm being judged by them. Hell, my step-dads mother is VERY old school Catholic at 85, yet I've never ever felt like she has pushed anything down my throat ever. We don't talk specifically about it, but she's just a great old lady, who will stay out and drink her wine all night with the best of them!

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

I really just don't understand why people care so much what other people believe. I also do not see how people of any faith or non-faith can't see the offensive things they say about someone else's faith. Like I said before. I do.not.get.it.
I don't care what others believe as long as it doesn't affect me. But debating is fun! Plus, debating like this is the best way to further and strengthen your own beliefs. Talking about this stuff is what forms those thoughts because it forces you to really think. It's a great intellectual exercise!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

Oh I agree. I am not trying to change my step-dads perception on a religion he's believed in his whole life. No way no chance. This convo came about because of child molestation. And he couldn't even discuss it at ALL without freaking out and becoming extremely defensive. I was just trying to have a normal, non-yelling convo.

I've said it before that I think it's GREAT when people have something they feel so strongly about, and have a faith, and feel they need that, or it makes them feel good, or whatever the reason is. I think having faith is a GOOD thing.

I have faith to an extent. I'm not really even saying I'm not a Christian, because I still consider myself a Christian, just not 'practicing'. I'm borderline agnostic I guess. lol. I'm kind of just in the 'meh' category like I said.

But religion does fascinate me. And I'd like to learn more about it. I've found it interesting to hear both 'sides' too, because it's nice to get others perspectives.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Sport Model Pug

Just because I enjoy this comedian and its kind of relevant.

http://youtu.be/rTIorwtJbhE

Viewer discretion advised: very strong language.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandypug View Post
just because i enjoy this comedian and its kind of relevant.

http://youtu.be/rtiorwtjbhe

viewer discretion advised: Very strong language.
<3<3<3<3<3
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

God never promised we would never have trials... In fact he guaranteed we would have trials.

Jacksonsmom, please please don't take
Offense to this. I am not teying to say your young
Brothers death was "worth it". Especially not for your family but LOOK at how many incredible things your family has
Done for the cause because of it. I am not saying it was worth it for YOUR FAMILY and I am sure given the chance you would take it all back to have him again. Completely normal. Just know that this tragedy has changed and SAVED so many lives and will continue to save more and more lives when I know you would just rather have that one life back. Please don't be mad at me . I just felt I needed to present that side to your mission.

(((( HUGS))))

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney