Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM
woof!

Unhappy Interesting article about pekes

I was reading in a website a very Interesting article about the change in looks in the pekinese breed.

Is very chocking to read all the deformities they got only for people to have a "baby human faced" dog and how fast the change was made.

Until last year I found out that they have so many problems wit their flat muzzles that sometimes they need to be put over ice to cool down.

http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2...-a-chance.html
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Top Dog

That is very sad. But I guess it is 'good news' that they'd be able to reverse things just as fast, if they wanted to...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
That is very sad. But I guess it is 'good news' that they'd be able to reverse things just as fast, if they wanted to...
Therein lies the problem.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
woof!

Quote:
Agree, it would be good to return to the original body type.

They could keep the long coat since is not the real health problem here, and after all it can be clipped in pet dogs or retired show dogs, some breed of long show coats can have a healthy life, normal activities and exercise if the care is done well, breeds like afghans, cockers, poodles, pomeranians, etc are some examples.

The real problem wit the "perfection" of the pekingese is the flat muzzle, popped out eyes, twisted fronts limbs, is the same thing that happened to pugs, english and french bulldogs and similar breeds.

And is even happening outside the dog world like wit show persian cats that some of them can't even chew their food normally because of the extreme flat face.

At least there's some hope after what happened last year at crufts when the vets DQ the breeds like the pekingese, english bulldog and others, this news made people wonder if really for the dogs to have those "cute baby doll face" and other extreme body shapes is healthy after all.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I absolutely love "badly bred pet" pekes. I'm all in favor of breeding back to healthier companion days.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
woof!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Therein lies the problem.
So true, the sad thing is not that only show people are like this, but the general people like extremes.

I remember when I was watching the Sherlock Holmes movie, and they had an english bulldog http://www.google.hn/imgres?imgurl=h...QEwAQ&dur=1073

And everytime the dog was in screen all the people were "look how cute" "OMG he is so fat and adorable" "I want one" "look at the face so pretty"

Sometimes when I walk my poodle, people comment in how long and sharp his muzzle is and I get comments like "he is pretty but he will look mush cuter if he had a flat face like the dog form the movie As Good as It Gets, do you know were I can buy one like that dog?"
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

when I got my Peke, I didn't know anything about them. I did ALOT of research, and found ut that the flat muzzles were actually from the chinese, they would smack the muzzels "flat"to make them like that...and pics from hundreds of years ago, show them like that as well.

I never had problems with breathing issues other then snoring. The bowed legs eventually got achey. Their eyes can faall out easily due to the fact they are actually set outside the eye hole in the skull instead of inside of itt. My dogs daddy had only one eye, lost the other when he fell down 3 steps.

My dog died of cancer not this past Christmas but the year before. He lived to the ripe, happy age of 18.

Pekes are also mean lol..........he ruled my house of APBT. My mom still has my Pekes brother-liver issues, and they say he actually has doffy Alzheimers-but he is kicking!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl View Post
when I got my Peke, I didn't know anything about them. I did ALOT of research, and found ut that the flat muzzles were actually from the chinese, they would smack the muzzels "flat"to make them like that.
Um...what?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

The chinese wanted to make the dog resemble the lion, and would smack their muzzles "flat" Years and years of this leads to the flatness of the muzzle. I am not 100% that this is truth, however I have seen it mentioned on many occasions.

Another "myth" is that somehow they were bred with a monkey, which explains the bowed legs. But that is actually found in a book of myths. The muzzle part, I have seen elsewhere & cannot actually find that in myths.

If you think about it, I suppose actually smacking their muzzle over all those years can indeed change the way they look. I mean, didn't the American Bulldog actually have similar when all the years of docking their tail, many are born without tails now adays?? Kinda the same, but not lol..

Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Um...what?
Ummm... did I stutter?