Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
That one pup looks like a double merle....
That was my thought too

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Your pup looks pure BC to me, she is very cute!
Thank you! She acts pure BC too, haha. The other pups in her litter showed the Aussie influence more clearly. We have on good authority she's half and half.

GYPSY, border collie & Australian shepherd mix, 1/10/10
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
That one pup looks like a double merle....
She might be, I'm not sure what qualifies as double merle technically. Her hearing and vision were 100% normal at adoption, but I don't know how she is now. Here is a better up front picture:

Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm All Ears

I would bet she is not double merled, just piebald +merle. She could be double merle, but her eyes are so dark and the pupils look fully formed.

I believe the puppy right under her in the group picture is merle though. The patch right above his eye as well as on his shoulder and then muzzle (easier seen in the adult pictures). He's really interesting looking though.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I would bet she is not double merled, just piebald +merle. She could be double merle, but her eyes are so dark and the pupils look fully formed.

I believe the puppy right under her in the group picture is merle though. The patch right above his eye as well as on his shoulder and then muzzle (easier seen in the adult pictures). He's really interesting looking though.
Oo I can totally see piebald/merle for Pepper. I wish I had more pictures of that other pup you are talking about (Oreo), he could totally be one of of those subtle merle dogs.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
I think you're right, it's just in the other picture, she looked like she had MUCH less pigment, and the eye is so hard to get a good look at from the side like that. I'm happy she's not a DM and just high white! She's a CUTIE too, lol.

Quote:
I think you're right about that too, looking back from puppy to adult pictures makes it stand out more to me. At first it just looked like super heavy ticking, but I think the shoulder and the eye patch are a give-away to being merle.

It IS interesting that the definitely merles don't have ticking in their white though lol.

The high white pup, I think for a dog to get piebald, they have to inherit a copy from both their parents, so that gives a slight clue as to who her father could be, at the least.

Isn't there a gene in BCs, Aussies, ect that controls whether or not the dog has a "body splash" of white? Is that the piebald gene being expressed? I think Jones has that gene, I'm pretty sure Eve (RD's Eve) has it. I know there was a conversation about HW before, I think it was said it's responsible for Color Headed Whites in Collies as well?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
I think you're right, it's just in the other picture, she looked like she had MUCH less pigment, and the eye is so hard to get a good look at from the side like that. I'm happy she's not a DM and just high white! She's a CUTIE too, lol.

I think you're right about that too, looking back from puppy to adult pictures makes it stand out more to me. At first it just looked like super heavy ticking, but I think the shoulder and the eye patch are a give-away to being merle.

It IS interesting that the definitely merles don't have ticking in their white though lol.

The high white pup, I think for a dog to get piebald, they have to inherit a copy from both their parents, so that gives a slight clue as to who her father could be, at the least.

Isn't there a gene in BCs, Aussies, ect that controls whether or not the dog has a "body splash" of white? Is that the piebald gene being expressed? I think Jones has that gene, I'm pretty sure Eve (RD's Eve) has it. I know there was a conversation about HW before, I think it was said it's responsible for Color Headed Whites in Collies as well?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

I feel like the plot has thickened! I've never had such great input about Dex's breed mix than from you guys, thanks! I'll try and track down more adult photos of the litter, especially the secret merle guy.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Do you have pictures of momma dog?
As far as that pup being Double Merle it's really a tough call, like Laur said his eyes are completely normal looking and yet he has the pink nose and lips so common in DM. I can't definitively say for sure what I think.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
Do you have pictures of momma dog?
As far as that pup being Double Merle it's really a tough call, like Laur said his eyes are completely normal looking and yet he has the pink nose and lips so common in DM. I can't definitively say for sure what I think.
No pictures of Mama dog :/ I searched FB & Shelter pages high and low back when I got Dex but the mom was placed by a different rescue in Kentucky and I don't know which one (I'm in MN).