Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

I teach the 'don't move until released' method as well by doing a combo of crate games and the bulls eye game, with no verbals of stay or wait along with recalls at the same time.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Lay down/Sit.
*treat*
One step back, one step forward.
*treat*
1.5 steps back, 1.5 steps forward.
*treat*
One step back, pause for a split second. One step forward.
*multiple treats*

It was also hugely helpful that Zach taught her a "go to your bed" command when she's fed. Kibble goes in the treat toy in the center of the room, and he'll make her stay on her bed for a LONG time before releasing her. If she budges early, he'll "eh eh eh!" her and take away the food. Send her back, try again!

Our stays are for agility start lines, and have held up fabulously for such a crazed little dog.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I tell my students stay is made up of two criteria - the duration the dog stays and your distance from the dog. Whenever I increase one criteria I decrease the other. So we work our puppies from one step away building up duration, then take another step back (increase distance) and drop duration down to build it back up again.
We ping-pong difficulty - sometimes you ask for a long stay, sometimes for a short one, sometimes you are close, sometimes you are far away. So it's not a game of constantly making the dog sit longer and longer while you get further and further away (seriously boring game.)
We also ping-pong release to recall and release with the owner returning to the dog.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 AM
Top Dog

thanks guys. We have been doing the sit or down, or whatever and waiting for a release cue so I guess we'll just keep on, keeping on.

SpringerLover, if you make a video, please share

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Active Pup

After your dog understood the sit and down commands perfectly, the next extension is training your dog to stay. Teaching the stay command to your dog may seem challenging, but in my opinion it is well worth to teach. If your dog jumps right back before giving release command and continue the previous activity, the stay command is meant to keep your puppy in sit or down. In my opinion it is extremely important for your dog to learn the stay command because you will be able to have better control over his/her behavior.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I tell my students stay is made up of two criteria - the duration the dog stays and your distance from the dog. Whenever I increase one criteria I decrease the other. So we work our puppies from one step away building up duration, then take another step back (increase distance) and drop duration down to build it back up again.
We ping-pong difficulty - sometimes you ask for a long stay, sometimes for a short one, sometimes you are close, sometimes you are far away. So it's not a game of constantly making the dog sit longer and longer while you get further and further away (seriously boring game.)
We also ping-pong release to recall and release with the owner returning to the dog.
This was how I taught it ..I also taught stop which means I don't care if you're running full tilt in the opposite direction. Stop all movement. She learned both fairly quickly with hot dogs The 3 treats in a line seems like an odd way to teach stay ..more like a way to proof it once you've got a solid stay?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Lay down/Sit.
*treat*
*treat*
*treat*
*multiple treats*
I teach like this.

I also have a separate Wait and Stay. Stay = "stay right there until I come back and release you" and Wait is more like... "hang out there until I tell you to do something else."

Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

I use crate games/mat work to teach the concept of a release word and then apply it to the normal positions.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Top Dog

Crossbone has no stay. He LOVES the wait game though. I say "wait.....wait....wait (of a varying number)....OKAY!" and he goes crazy. So he kind of understands the concept and the release word but I haven't really put any effort into a real stay or wait yet lol But he knows weave poles and how to cross his legs. Priorities. :P

I don't really remember teaching my other dogs how to stay vs wait. Jack will stay in any position I put him in & I think I took it for granted. I like the mat idea of teaching stay. I taught Crossbone wait by doing crate games.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I taught stay from day one, with their food bowl. Every time they were fed, they had to sit/stay. Gradually build up time/how far away I am from the bowl before they received their release cue. Using that as a base, it really wasn't difficult to transfer over to a stay command without the food bowl as a cue.

Quote:
Lay down/Sit.
*treat*
*treat*
*treat*
*multiple treats*
When teaching it without the food bowl, this is what I do. I like rewarding them without breaking the stay, which isn't done with the food bowl method.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~