Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

Default Stay

What is your favorite method for teaching 'stay'? Puppy class has us cue a 'sit' then give Tue cue for 'stay' and place three treats in a line on the ground. Then, holding the collar, deed the treats one at a time, slowly lengthening the time between treats. I'm sure it works, but Hudson does not understand and gets frustrated because he thinks I am asking for a 'down' when I am placing the treats on the ground.

So what methods do you like? Videos?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Resident fainting goat

I used the kikopup video on teaching stay.

It basically just teaches sit/down/stand and then teaches the dog the concept of a release cue.

Merlin doesn't really know "stay" but he knows not to move until he hears his release word.
I started working the release cue and then just proofed from that (jumping around, saying other words, food, etc...)
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

I have the dog sit/down/stand/whatever, step to the front of the dog and back into heel, then sloooowwwwwlllyyyyyy work the time and distance up. So, one step back, two, three, take two steps back and wait 2 seconds, etc. I NEVER call a dog to come out of a stay while they're learning, and ALWAYS reward when I get back into heel position.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I have the dog sit/down/stand/whatever, step to the front of the dog and back into heel, then sloooowwwwwlllyyyyyy work the time and distance up. So, one step back, two, three, take two steps back and wait 2 seconds, etc. I NEVER call a dog to come out of a stay while they're learning, and ALWAYS reward when I get back into heel position.
This is how I teach it too. As long as criteria isn't raised too quickly and you ensure your dog is still engaged and having fun it's a good method. I always advise to teach it in very small doses and play or do other fun tricks etc in between.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
This is how I teach it as well.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Honestly, we never taught stay as a command.

Basically, sit, lie down, etc should be until you release them, so there's no real need for a stay command.

That being said, once we got a long sit/lie down then I just added the cue stay. For ease. But totally unnecessary.

We also use a wait command, which sort of means, don't move.... But we use it differently to a "stay".
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Top Dog

What Sael said.

Although if I was starting with a young pup and wasn't worried about other stupid people messing it up for us, I might try Fran's Kikopup method.

ETA: and, like Dizzy said, we have "stay" and "wait". Wait basically means "Don't come through this doorway or down the stairs or into this area". I don't really use it any other time except for when I want the dog to remain in the same general area or out of my way.

Stay means "don't move". Since I never did any obedience or anything, I don't mind if the dog moves from sitting/standing/lying, as long as he's in one spot, but with future dogs I'd probably like it to mean "stay in that position".

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM
orange iguanas.

Basically what Sael said.

I'm not good about using release cues so I don't think it'd ever work for me to just build the stay into their sit/down without a separate command.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

I taught Buzz a "stay" and a "wait there" cue. I used a tether to teach "wait there" as it was a general area I wanted him to remain in rather than a position.

I teach stay by feeding continuously while I move around the dog. (Easy cheese is really nice for this!) I start looking for the dog to hesitate before I feed and build up from there... This is totally something I could actually take a video of... I just might do that!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

I never taught Gusto a stay. I did crate games with him, and it transferred over almost instantly.

Meg's stays were taught with the 100 peck method.