Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you want your dog back/Give the adopted dog back?
I would want my dog back over 1 year/ I would return the dog over 1 year 24 68.57%
I would want my dog back less than 1 year/ I would return dog less than 1 year 1 2.86%
I would want my dog back but would not pursue legal action 1 2.86%
I would not want my dog back over 1 year/ I would not give the dog back over a year 0 0%
I would not want the dog back in less than 1 year/ I would not give the dog back in less than 1 year 0 0%
No- other 0 0%
Yes- other 9 25.71%
I would get another dog 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I also don't think you're a better owner for choosing to be shot rather than leave your dog. That is a personal choice. I would prefer not to be shot, but that's just me.
I don't think my decision to be shot rather than leave my dog makes me a better owner. But IMO what I'd be leaving her to go to is way worse in my opinion.

I have a LOT of trouble with groups of people. I'm not talking just disliking it. My blood pressure spikes and I get physically sick. I also have trouble with people I don't know. I might be able to do it for a day or so but there's no way I could handle the stress of losing everything combined with my social anxiety issues.

I can't even do family things on Sundays. Just being around that many people is an overload for me and I'm exhausted the next day. That's with people I know and trust. I get stressed even thinking of going to the store so being forced into a place that's taken thousands of evacuees? That's something I wouldn't be able to handle very long, if at all.

My choice to rather be shot than leave my dog isn't me trying to say I'd be a better owner. It's I'd rather it be quick than long, drawn out and torture for us both.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I think because of Katrina, if I were to adopt a dog from a natural disaster like that, it would always be in my mind "what about their original owners". And while it would probably break my heart, I would give them back if I was shown proof. They've lost enough due to Katrina, they don't need me holding their family member hostage because they're "mine" now. I would NEVER give up looking for my dogs. I would pursue legal action if I found them years later. I guess the only exception would be if its been like 10years and they're in great homes, and it would be a very stressful transition for them - like Bailey who is high anxiety and HATES its when I leave her in an unknown place.... Just with her age and stress level I would have to seriously consider what's best for her, although my first gut reaction would be to be selfish

As far as a plan - Chaz is the reason I have a plan honestly. Flooding and tornados is just about the only natural disasters we have to worry about here, I always have leashes and shot record copy in my truck (glove box). In the house, shot records are in an easy access binder, along with pictures and a profile in case, Maddie's medicine and medical history. I store her meds, their food (wet and dry, and treats) first aid kit (human and dog), and a couple brushes in a plastic tote anyway. A gallon of water. I'd just have to grab it and go.
I have family members in town and out of state that I could go to, dogs welcomed (they've been the before that's a plus for me) and $$ for hotels, gas if needed. I was just thinking maybe I should have some food for me just in case! Lol
Although I am way impressed with Fran's wow!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Didn't mean to imply those were related. Spaying/neutering is my personal preference. I don't consider someone a 'bad owner' because they have not spayed/neutered. There are other things that go along with it that usually make it a negative thing, though. Oops litters, for one thing. It's completely situational, though. Would I tell Jess to get Rosey spayed? No. I'm generally not a black and white kind of person and I didn't mean to make a blanket statement. I hardly want to argue why I think pets should be spayed/neutered, though.
Ok, but can you step back and think about how deeply disturbing it is to read someone describing a dog that could be yours and saying the owners of such dogs probably don't deserve them back? That's horrifying. Your personal preference should have nothing to do with whether or not an owner has their pet returned.

I mean, what if I found a neutered dog with long nails, bad teeth, and in need of grooming? Well they clearly didn't research all the health risks of neutering... and they clearly don't do regular nail trims... and they probably feed bad food, like junky kibble - not raw, which is my preference. And this dog desperately needs a bath and blowout!

I'm sure nobody's really missing this dog, and even if they, it would be better off in a new home anyway.

I just... I sincerely urge you to widen your parameters for "loving pet owner". Please.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Rory's not neutered and he's not microchipped, either. I initially planned to neuter him when he was around 2 and get him microchipped at the same time. I've since decided to leave him intact as I don't see any purpose in having him neutered. I'll get him microchipped eventually, but he always wears a collar and i'm sure any sane person would beg me to take him back if he ended up getting loose

Anyway... I'd never judge someone for leaving their dogs intact or un-microchipped. The chihuahuas are all neutered and chipped, but they had the chips done while under anesthesia.

I can see both sides of the Hurricane Katrina argument. While I would never ever leave my dogs behind, I do have a car and the ability to leave with them. I have savings, credit cards, and options.

It reminds me of the "should homeless people have pets" debate. Having an owner who loves their dogs is better than no home at all... and many of the Katrina victims were in major poverty with no cars and no where to take their dogs. Adding kids and other dependents into the equation makes it even more difficult.

The whole thing makes me sad.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-09-2013, 01:14 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Your personal preference should have nothing to do with whether or not an owner has their pet returned.
Ayup. No matter who you are, there's always someone else out there who thinks YOU aren't a good enough home and your dog would be better off with them because they are a better pet owner.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Ok, but can you step back and think about how deeply disturbing it is to read someone describing a dog that could be yours and saying the owners of such dogs probably don't deserve them back? That's horrifying. Your personal preference should have nothing to do with whether or not an owner has their pet returned.

I mean, what if I found a neutered dog with long nails, bad teeth, and in need of grooming? Well they clearly didn't research all the health risks of neutering... and they clearly don't do regular nail trims... and they probably feed bad food, like junky kibble - not raw, which is my preference. And this dog desperately needs a bath and blowout!

I'm sure nobody's really missing this dog, and even if they, it would be better off in a new home anyway.

I just... I sincerely urge you to widen your parameters for "loving pet owner". Please.
I'm really not sure where you came to that conclusion about me. I wasn't saying any of these people didn't deserve their dogs. I like to know more information about a situation before saying yes or no, though.

Maybe other people think their personal preference should be law but I don't. I PERSONALLY will spay and neuter my animals because I want to. I do NOT think you are a bad owner if you don't and I do not think you don't deserve your pets. That's not my call to make.

I can disagree with someone's methods without thinking they are a horrible person. I don't agree with several things my friends do or believe, but I don't think they should not own dogs because of that. Most of you do things I wouldn't do with my dog, but I assume it's because you have researched it and believe it's best for your dog. Want to feed rawr? Go ahead! I don't know enough about it to feed it and it's not really something I'm interested in doing. As long as you're feeding your dog, I'm fairly happy.

Just because I do it or believe it doesn't mean everyone should. And if you got that from me, I'm sorry. Apparently I'm easily misunderstood. Gotta get some of the lingo down, I guess.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Ayup. No matter who you are, there's always someone else out there who thinks YOU aren't a good enough home and your dog would be better off with them because they are a better pet owner.
Zactly. For what it's worth when I said "in the best interest of the dog" I meant if the dog is very old or sick and would actually be harmed by undergoing a major life change. Not that I feed a better food or take my dogs on an average of 5.4 additional miles of walking per week or do/don't subscribe to whatever the other person's vaccination protocol is or...

What's that saying about glass houses and throwing stones? Seems to be a lot of it going around.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I would want my dog back. No matter how long it had been. They're family to us.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Little dog, big voice

I would definitely want my dogs back, and I wouldn't hesitate to return someone's dog to them... unless, of course, it's clear that the dog wasn't in an ideal situation (ie: neglect, etc).

I'm sure Cali would think of living with someone else as a completely awesome vacation. She spent a weekend with my dad and his girlfriend once and she loved it. My dad's girlfriend loves dogs and used to have a Bernese Mountain Dog at one point. So, needless to say, Cali got spoiled that weekend but she was super excited to see me walk through the door.

Moses would probably become depressed for awhile, unless the people were incredibly nice and eventually earned his trust. When he was younger, we'd leave him at a boarding place with other dogs and he hated it with a passion. We upgraded to a place where he got daily walks, etc but he still didn't enjoy it, so now we either get my grandmother to come up or see if my dad will stay at the house with him. He's friendly, but very reserved with strangers.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Active Pup

Long time lurker question..

What if the dog wasn't yours anymore. What if when you went to see them they were excited to see you but were more bonded with their new family..

And would age factor in to if you wanted them back? In the sense that if you lost your year old puppy and managed to find him a year and a half later..and he had spent more of his life with his new family then he had with you. Would that change things?