Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you want your dog back/Give the adopted dog back?
I would want my dog back over 1 year/ I would return the dog over 1 year 24 68.57%
I would want my dog back less than 1 year/ I would return dog less than 1 year 1 2.86%
I would want my dog back but would not pursue legal action 1 2.86%
I would not want my dog back over 1 year/ I would not give the dog back over a year 0 0%
I would not want the dog back in less than 1 year/ I would not give the dog back in less than 1 year 0 0%
No- other 0 0%
Yes- other 9 25.71%
I would get another dog 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
This.

And this.

Really, there are some very sad and very judgmental posts in this thread. I remember thinking at the time how sad it was that those animals were so quickly being sent all over the country. There was absolutely no time for people to look for their pets or possibly be reunited with them. Shelters all over the country were all over the media with how they had "saved the abandoned Katrina dogs". Except most of those dogs were not abandoned shelter dogs. They were people's pets, who had been lost or separated from their families. And people were lining up to adopt them in many places. I don't think anyone realized how bad things were going to get with Katrina until it was too late. Like Sassafras said, people left thinking they'd be able to return home in a few days. Even once it was obvious thinsg were going badly, families had no place to go with their pets and people were being evacuated from their homes, forcefully if they wouldn't go willing. I just can't understand being so judgmental of people in sure a dire situation, even if you wouldn't make the choices they made (and have the resources to not have to).
My thinking exactly.

I read an article a few years ago, and I don't remember where (it might have been in Bark) about the Katrina dogs, and there was one man that stuck in my mind. An older man, whose wife had died not too long before, and the dog was all he had left. His care of the dog might not have been exactly the type that we tend to consider gold standard with ours, but he loved his dog. And it got adopted out, and I don't think the man got it back.

It made me very sad.