Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you want your dog back/Give the adopted dog back?
I would want my dog back over 1 year/ I would return the dog over 1 year 24 68.57%
I would want my dog back less than 1 year/ I would return dog less than 1 year 1 2.86%
I would want my dog back but would not pursue legal action 1 2.86%
I would not want my dog back over 1 year/ I would not give the dog back over a year 0 0%
I would not want the dog back in less than 1 year/ I would not give the dog back in less than 1 year 0 0%
No- other 0 0%
Yes- other 9 25.71%
I would get another dog 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
dogstrong

Yes, I do. I'm not talking specifically about Katrina - hurricanes and other natural disasters in general. Everybody needs to have a plan, and a back up plan, in place.

When it comes to my pets, I wouldn't hang around to see what happens. I'd play it safe.

That's just me.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Yes, I do. I'm not talking specifically about Katrina - hurricanes and other natural disasters in general. Everybody needs to have a plan, and a back up plan, in place.

When it comes to my pets, I wouldn't hang around to see what happens. I'd play it safe.

That's just me.
I have a plan, but things don't always work the way one plans for. I also have a reasonable income, credit cards, and a car, so in an emergency, if I'm home, I can pack the dogs and head for a safer spot. Stay in motels if necessary. Not everybody has that luxury.

But again, that's if I'm home. All my credit cards, and my car, won't help me if I can't get back to my dogs. Yes, obviously if one had forewarning, one could go get them before things get dangerous. But disasters don't always come with forewarning.

And assuming I'd head for a safer spot might not work if there is no forewarning of the disaster, either. It might not be possible for me to drive out. If they send in helicopters and offer to airlift me out, but not my dogs, do I stay and die, or go? Well, I'd actually choose to stay and die, but if I had kids, or other people dependent on me, that would be a harder choice to make.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

I agree with everyone saying their dog is theirs forever. I would look for my dog for 10 or 15 or 20 years if that was how long it took... I'd probably let it go at 20, though. Anyone who kept my dog alive for 20 years probably deserves to keep him

In our case, it would be more for me and less for my dog. Trent could adapt to a new home, if they had prior experience with dogs like him, he would adjust quickly and happily to a new home. I just wouldn't want to relinquish ownership of him for anything. It is incredibly selfish but I would most likely pursue legal action regardless of how much the family loves him, if they have kids, someone using him as a service dog or emotional support dog, etc. I'd want my dog back.

And since someone brought up intact dogs, holy crow if I find my dog and found out he was neutered, I would cut someone.

Only exception to me reclaiming ownership is if they are legitimately providing a significantly better home for him in every single way. If they were bajillionaires with a huge fenced in yard, intent on keeping Trent the only dog in the house, have no kids living with them, spent 6 months of the year at the beach with him, and were training him in agility and IPO with a club that met in their backyard every week... I'll give in.

Or demand to move in with them, too. Either way
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
There where A LOT of people who did just that , stayed with the dogs and drowned in there own attic.
And if I had been in New Orleans at the time, I'd of probably been one of those poor fools.

My dogs ARE my kids.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
I agree with everyone saying their dog is theirs forever. I would look for my dog for 10 or 15 or 20 years if that was how long it took... I'd probably let it go at 20, though. Anyone who kept my dog alive for 20 years probably deserves to keep him

In our case, it would be more for me and less for my dog. Trent could adapt to a new home, if they had prior experience with dogs like him, he would adjust quickly and happily to a new home. I just wouldn't want to relinquish ownership of him for anything. It is incredibly selfish but I would most likely pursue legal action regardless of how much the family loves him, if they have kids, someone using him as a service dog or emotional support dog, etc. I'd want my dog back.
Basically this.
Call it selfish.. but I KNOW it wouldn't be about Merlin, I know Merlin would adjust.. but I would want my dog. period.
I might allow the family to visit but..I want my dog back. He is chipped, I have pictures, I would totally pursue legal action. No matter how long it took.

especially if it was a "regular" home that had him. Like, regular working family where he was "just a dog". Even if they loved him.. I know I can do better and he is the kind of dog that loves adventures and activities and training.

I would want him back. Period.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I also think there's a huge difference between being lost due to a natural disaster and being lost because they got out of my house. For the latter, I don't think I'd be in any place to judge how responsible the other person was because, well, its MY dog that got loose.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Twin 2

I honestly don't know what to say in this thread, just seems like it would be a sad ending for someone no matter what.

All I know is it gives me a stomachache thinking about it and I'm going to go hug my dogs and tell them they're never allowed to go anywhere.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

This is a hard one for me. I think about how I wouldn't be able/want to let go, but then I think that it would be the same on the flip side. At what point does your adopted dog become "mine forever" and not "the previous owner's"?

So far as I know, Boo was an owner surrender, not a stray, but if someone were to come knocking on my door showing me photos and telling me that Boo was really their dog, in no way would I just smile and hand over the leash. She's mine. And I feel as vehemently about that as any of the rest of you do about your own dogs, I'm sure. Those of you with rescues who say that your dog is "yours forever" - does that apply to other people's dogs too? If so, if a previous owner came knocking on your door, would you relinquish your dog to them because in reality the dog should be "theirs forever"?

That said, I'm a filthy hypocrite, because if Boo were to escape and I were to find her with someone else, I'd absolutely want her back.

But - if she weren't microchipped and it had been years, not just months and I found out that she was loved and happy in a different home, I probably wouldn't do much more than ask and see if they'd give her up to me. Because she's microchipped, I feel like it's a bit more of a moot point. A good owner would take their new dog to the vet. A good vet would scan an "ex stray" for a microchip. A good owner would then make the best effort possible to find the owner who planted that microchip. If they had found the microchip and ignored it, I'd be (reasonably in my opinion) upset and might want to take bigger means to get her back.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Wasn't there a story in the news a while back about something kind of like this, where a women in NM lost her dog, then found out a few months later that the dog had been adopted by another women 30 miles away from the shelter, and a HUGE **** storm broke out because the new owner refused to give the dog back and was in the legal right to do so, despite the fact that the dog had been microchipped by it's old owner?

Anyone know what I'm talking about? And if so, how did that end?

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

I would try my hardest to get to a point where I could have ALL of my family safe. But the local shelters said NO ANIMALS. Obviously, plans would be to go to a place that allowed pets, but that may not happen.

I don't think people are bad owners in that situation. A lot of the residents were not well off and couldn't afford to leave town. Or they couldn't take the animals, for whatever reason. I think it's a bit harsh to say "Anyone who did not take their animals in that situation don't deserve their pets."

Like others have said, it was a mess. Although I do think a huge set back was the lack of micro chipping. (Vaccines and spay/neuter were later issues.)

Some of the people loved their dogs very much. But they weren't chipped. I think that was more of an ignorance/lack of funds thing than anything.

Gwen is chipped and spayed, so I'm not too concerned with her not being returned to me.

It was just a really bad situation, honestly. I don't know where I stand on a lot of the cases. Some dogs I would return to the owners and some I wouldn't. It's a personal thing. The lady with the GSD would not be getting her dog back, if it was up to me.

I've never been in a situation like that and I really don't know how I'd respond.