Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Sojos/other dehydrated foods

To those that have fed them:

Easiest to make up a few days worth at a time? And if yes - do you add the meat to that big batch at the same time or wait and add it to each individual meal? Did you follow the feeding guidelines and were they accurate? And of course... did you like the results and feel your dog did well on it?

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
To those that have fed them:

Easiest to make up a few days worth at a time? And if yes - do you add the meat to that big batch at the same time or wait and add it to each individual meal? Did you follow the feeding guidelines and were they accurate? And of course... did you like the results and feel your dog did well on it?
Frodo is on Sojos Original now, with ground beef. I make the mix about 4 days worth in advance, per the bag. I add the meat into every meal, though it would be just as easy to add it to the mix, but I'm weird and I like meal time to have lots of components

Feeding guidelines are NEVER accurate with Frodo, but I know a lot of people with normal dogs need to use more than the bag says to maintain weight.

I also don't use the ratio on the bag, which would be more Sojos than added meat. I do about 60% meat to 40% Sojos, because racecar.

Frodo seems to be doing really well on it! I love that it's all whole food and stuff without all the added prep and balancing on my part! I originally started the Fromonster on it because I was looking to switch him back to prey model and was having a REALLY hard time coming up with any bone that was easily accessible and that Frodo wouldn't break teeth on. With the tricalcium phosphate in the Sojos I can just throw in meat/organ meats and not worry about bone!

Also, if I could I would feed The Honest Kitchen, but they don't have any formulas that Frodo can eat I would also prefer the other Sojos mixes to the original, but eggs :/

ALSO, Sojos just started a Buy 12 Get 1 Free!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
ALSO, Sojos just started a Buy 12 Get 1 Free!
Well that's a bummer because it's cheaper at Pet Supplies Plus and they probably don't participate... or if they do they didn't mention it!

But your response is awesomesauce because I bought a bag of the Original today (yeah, I like to buy first, ask questions later). I'm just really curious to see if it's going to be cost effective at all; I'm having a hard time keeping weight on Juno on the Canine Caviar, so I'm not sure how that's going to pan out on Sojos, if she needs a billion cups a day it just isn't going to work. But I really want it to work for her because even though it just seems like a stupid bag of oats, I would soooo rather feed this than kibble.

I just always find it overwhelming to not have the convenience of kibble. To like, think ahead and prepare and stuff

Also, this question is going to be directed at you - think there's any reason why I couldn't use mixes from Woodys as the meat source? Don't know if that would be the most economical long-term, but I have quite a bit of duck and chicken that my cat won't eat, so it'd be nice to use it!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

The only thing I would worry about with using woody's is the calcium content since woody's is all bone in. I am still using pre made raw for a portion of what I am feeding since it is free and since I feed less sojos than meat.

I would say absolutely use it up! It's not like you are going to end up with a long term calcium deficiency by using the woody's occasionally or for a short period of time. I dont think I would don't every day all the time for years on end, but for what you are doing, absolutely.

I have a roll of beef from Raws for Paws that I am using, so for cost that might be something to look into (there isn't any bone in the beef), and at the end of the month (27th) I will be picking up an order from Larson rabbitry. If you are interested in them (pretty cheap!) and can't pick up that day, let me know and I can pick up for you as i took the day off and I am picking up for other people as well!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Also, froman likes the sojos way better than I thought he would. He actually eats the oatmeal part before the meat part if I don't mix them together well

Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

I don't really have anything useful to add except that I'm trying a dehydrated food for the first time for the Florida trip! I got a box of Honest Kitchen to bring along instead of bringing a cooler full of meat. Super excited.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

A cooler full of meat you'd forget!?
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

I have used Sojo's in the past on one of my senior dogs when he got a little picky..

I usually made up a batch that would last a few days, add my 'meat' when I fed, I also would add alot of different things to it, brown rice, eggs sometimes, other veggies, canned pumpkin..Mine did very well on it and just loved it
Diane
Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
A cooler full of meat you'd forget!?
Shush!!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Behavior Nerd

I feed THK complete diets halftime now, but I have used both Sojos and THK everything but meat varieties before. I like mixing it allll up ahead of time and usually do 3-5 days at one time for convenience. I have a giant tupperware I store it in and then just scoop out what I need each feeding.

I don't remember 100% but iirc Sojos I fed a bit more than recommended, and for THK I feed the recommendations on the box or a bit less.