Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you want your dog back/Give the adopted dog back?
I would want my dog back over 1 year/ I would return the dog over 1 year 24 68.57%
I would want my dog back less than 1 year/ I would return dog less than 1 year 1 2.86%
I would want my dog back but would not pursue legal action 1 2.86%
I would not want my dog back over 1 year/ I would not give the dog back over a year 0 0%
I would not want the dog back in less than 1 year/ I would not give the dog back in less than 1 year 0 0%
No- other 0 0%
Yes- other 9 25.71%
I would get another dog 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Top Dog

I think it would be on a really individual basis.

Of course I'd want my dog back, I'd always want my dog back, and they'd always be my dog and I'd always consider them my dog in a way.

But it would depend on so many factors. What if after the hurricane I didn't have much left? Money, car, home....it would be difficult to take good care of a dog after that, at least right away, and if I was struggling and the dog had found a good, stable home, I might leave them.

What if the family had kids? What if they had developed some kind of amazing bond with this dog after some kind of tragedy? What if a couple found it after losing their child, or an older widow/widower found the dog...a special needs kid, something like that? I'd probably leave the dog, and assume he was meant to find them.

If I hadn't lost everything, and the dog just ended up with an average family who wasn't anything special and provided equal care that I could? I try to get the dog back for at least the first year, and after that it would maybe depend how the dog is settled...if it's a much older dog, if the dog would have anxiety or not adapt well to another change of environment, I'd let them stay. If the dog was happy go lucky or still clearly bonded to me after I went to see him, I'd try harder to get it back.

If I really thought the dog would be much better off with me, I would pursue it legally.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Top Dog

I would want my dog back. And I hate to say it, but I would probably pursue legal action, especially under the circumstances described. All my dogs are chipped and I have plenty of proof that they're mine. If someone rescued my dogs and put them up for adoption while I'm trying to find them after a hurricane I would be PISSED. I know there's not many options and rescuers do the best they can but....you shouldn't be able to just give my dog away.

And on the flip side of that, I would have to give back someone's dog if I had adopted it (in those circumstances). It would break my heart but if I was absolutely positive that the dog would get the same level of care and affection I can give and their former owners desperately wanted them back...I think I'd have to.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I think it would be on a really individual basis.

Of course I'd want my dog back, I'd always want my dog back, and they'd always be my dog and I'd always consider them my dog in a way.

But it would depend on so many factors. What if after the hurricane I didn't have much left? Money, car, home....it would be difficult to take good care of a dog after that, at least right away, and if I was struggling and the dog had found a good, stable home, I might leave them.

What if the family had kids? What if they had developed some kind of amazing bond with this dog after some kind of tragedy? What if a couple found it after losing their child, or an older widow/widower found the dog...a special needs kid, something like that? I'd probably leave the dog, and assume he was meant to find them.

If I hadn't lost everything, and the dog just ended up with an average family who wasn't anything special and provided equal care that I could? I try to get the dog back for at least the first year, and after that it would maybe depend how the dog is settled...if it's a much older dog, if the dog would have anxiety or not adapt well to another change of environment, I'd let them stay. If the dog was happy go lucky or still clearly bonded to me after I went to see him, I'd try harder to get it back.

If I really thought the dog would be much better off with me, I would pursue it legally.
This was one of my issues with the Katrina victims. Even after a year, many of them hadn't come back. The ones that had were fixing their homes and trying to rebuild their city. It didn't seem like a great time to bring back a loved pet.

I think of the big issues was the lack of organization in the whole thing. Nothing was done with the pets until people started seeing dogs on roofs and thought "Oh, what do we do about the animals?" It ended up being a big mess.

From what I saw.... many of the dogs left were not in the best care. They showed several horribly scared pits and many other dogs were not spayed/neutered and had other untreated medical conditions. (I know the spay/neuter thing is an iffy topic here, but 'casual' pet owners should probably not have intact dogs. They're not responsible enough, in my opinion.)
One lady was talking about her GSD and how it was such a great dog and some nights they would even let her come inside and sleep with them. The dog lived outside and was found to have heartworms. Now, she wasn't an awful owner but the people who adopted her had another GSD and kids and the dog was a family member, not an outside pet.

Even though the GSD was her's to start out with, the people who adopted her seemed to take much better care of her. So should it be on the well being of the dog or on the opener's 'right's?

I don't know enough medically to say if the dog was being 'ignored'. In most situations it seemed the dogs were better off with their new owners. They were being taken care of. The people adopted them thinking "This is my dog now."

It might seem callous but, in that situation, I would have a lot more on my mind than having my dog back. I would miss Gwen terribly but not having a house, a job, a car.... everything being destroyed... I would be happy to know that she was being taken care of. And after a couple of years, I would get another dog. I can't think of circumstances where I expect to reasonably get my dog back after a year. And I also can't think of many situations where I would give back a dog after a year. (Especially if the dog wasn't micro chipped or spayed/neutered.)

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

As a Local and '"victim" (if thats the right word) , I will say , Every single pet should have been given back to there owners , no matter what.

Pets are Property , Period.

Yes people do not get there pets / spayed , make them live outside , and feed them crap . These things happen a lot down here. Just because a person does not take the same level of care you do , does not give a "rescue" organization the right to take your pet and give it away.

That storm really brought the national spot light on Evacuations and the importance of having a plan for your pets also.

The local governments also have Pet plans now.

I personally would get my dog back no matter what . legal or otherwise.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
such sights to show you

One problem with Katrina particularly is that many dogs were "rescued" and removed from the state improperly - without actually looking for the original owner or observing any kind of waiting period whatsoever. A lot of groups did a lot more harm than good in that respect during Katrina.

Personally I would consider my dog mine forever unless I willingly relinquish ownership. There might be circumstances where I would choose to relinquish ownership rather than fight a legal battle, but for the most part... If I find out you have them, I am coming for them. You can be sure of that.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

Elsie's mine. I can't imagine being able to walk away from her.

I mean, I understand, if you had a dog for a year or two or three how it would be your dog, but with Elsie... I can't imagine being able to be okay with that.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

It would completely depend on the situation and the dog honestly...

Of course all three of my dogs I'd want back... but depending on how long they've been gone, what kind of care they are getting, etc.... would determine different possible outcomes.

Bamm is a tough dog to live with for certain types of homes and is not the right dog for most people. He also is so attached to me that I don't know how he would do in someone else's home without me. He probably would adjust, but I do feel like even though he is a pain in my neck sometimes, he is better off with me.... but I'm being biased I'm sure. I definitely would try to get him back, but if he seemed like he was happy with the people that had him then I might not pursue legal action provided they are taking good care of him. I would be really hurt though that he wasn't with me. If I didn't personally feel right about his new situation then I would pursue legal action to get him back.

Cricket... I think I would fight tooth and nail for this dog. I'm so over protective of her probably to the point some people would consider ridiculous. Mainly it's because I don't ever want to lose her. That dog is my heart and soul lol. I probably would proceed legal action if I was told I wouldn't get her back.

Joey, honestly as long as he is cared for properly and the people that had him understand his energy level and his need to run run run, I think he would do ok in a new home. Of course I'd still want him back, but depending on the situation I don't know if I would pursue legal action if it had been a few years. He loves everyone he meets pretty much and would be happy anywhere as long as he has an outlet for his energy.

That said, all of my dogs are my property, microchipped and I have zillions of photos of each. I would do my damndest to try and find them if any of them turned up missing and would NOT stop looking for them.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Club Terrible - President

My dog is MINE. I would go to any length to get my dog back. I don't care how long it's been.

That being said, if it was someone else's dog who I had adopted... well, it depends on what kind of owner they are, how hard they've been looking, etc. If they're drug addicts or something, lol no, they're not getting their dog back. If they're a good home who has been looking hard, had proof the dog was theirs, okay. By returning that dog to them, that opens up a place in my heart and home to rescue another.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I would want my dog back. And I hate to say it, but I would probably pursue legal action, especially under the circumstances described. All my dogs are chipped and I have plenty of proof that they're mine. If someone rescued my dogs and put them up for adoption while I'm trying to find them after a hurricane I would be PISSED. I know there's not many options and rescuers do the best they can but....you shouldn't be able to just give my dog away.

And on the flip side of that, I would have to give back someone's dog if I had adopted it (in those circumstances). It would break my heart but if I was absolutely positive that the dog would get the same level of care and affection I can give and their former owners desperately wanted them back...I think I'd have to.
Exactly this. You'd have to be technically stealing my dog. With chips, tags, all up to date information, vet info that is easily pulled by his rabies tag and chip...you'd have to be either STUPID or WANTING to take my dog in order to "not know" it was mine. So if someone "rescued him" and gave him away...I'd absolutely be pissed.

And sad thing is, that isn't uncommon these days. Memphis Animal Shelter was pulling people's dogs out of their yards("rescuing"), and shipping them to the Northeast. So I'm very aware of a situation like that.

In a disaster like Katrina, I wouldn't leave my dog. But also as Sassafrass said...many of those groups did more harm than good.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Yeah, my dogs are mine forever and I would not stop searching. And if I found somebody had my dog, I wouldn't let it go. That's my dog.

If I adopted a dog and YEARS down the road somebody showed up with their arms full of pictures of their dog, crying, a story about how long they had been searching, and asked for their dog back... would it break my heart to give the dog up? Yep. Would I still give the dog back anyway? Absolutely.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog