Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

Default My cell phone was stolen...advice?

It wasn't a fancy phone or anything, but it was brand new. I got it for Christmas, and while it wasn't anything special, it was mine. Today at work I had to take a group of dogs outside to go potty on leash, and since my hands were full I placed my cell phone on our back stairs while I let the dogs go potty in the grassy area. I realized AS SOON as I came inside that it wasn't with me because I feel naked without it. I went back out and it was gone. POOF! Disappeared. So, I kind of had a feeling that someone picked it up. I get home and check my account, and what do you know? Not even a minute after I got back inside a call was placed to a long distance number that I obviously didn't dial because I couldn't find my phone. (I know because I was in a hurry to get the dogs situated before a group was coming in)

So, my question is: is there anything that I can do about this? Do I just kind of have to suck it up and get a new phone and start all over again? Will I ever get my phone back? UGH! I am so pissed that someone just snatched it up and went about their day making phone calls on the phone that they stole, for pete's sake!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Ugh, sorry That really sucks.

I'd try calling/texting the number and offering a reward for a safe return. "Hey, I left my phone somewhere--if you found it, can you please contact me at __________? I will reward you!"

If that doesn't work, I'd call the cell phone company and report it missing so they disable the number and order a new phone I'm not sure if you can report it missing to the police or not--I don't think they'll do anything.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

No likely you won't get it back. Call and report it and cancel
It. Report it to the police too.

Keep an eye on credit cards and such for charges as well.

Get a nee phone and keep it with you or leave it at home
Or in a secure place

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't think there's anything you can do as far as getting it back. My sister had her phone stolen once (shoved and taken right out of her hands) and I think all she could do was call the company and have them deactivate it.

People sure suck sometimes.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Ugh, sorry That really sucks.

I'd try calling/texting the number and offering a reward for a safe return. "Hey, I left my phone somewhere--if you found it, can you please contact me at __________? I will reward you!"

If that doesn't work, I'd call the cell phone company and report it missing so they disable the number and order a new phone I'm not sure if you can report it missing to the police or not--I don't think they'll do anything.
Oh, I didn't think of that! I guess I was so busy being angry about it that offering a reward of sorts didn't really dawn on me. What do you think would be a reasonable reward for a phone? I'm sure I should make it more than someone would get at a pawn shop for it...

I tried to deactivate it online, but that was a no-go. So, I'll be calling to take care of that tomorrow.

It's just... I have a lot of pictures of my kids and family and it just kills me to think that some weirdo has it. :/

Thanks for the advice Cali!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM
orange iguanas.

It does suck not having your phone. I lost mine at the movie theater last year and it never got brought to lost & found so I don't know if someone found it and kept it or what. It was password protected luckily so Joe Blow who might have found it probably wouldn't be able to do anything with it... but I just hated that someone potentially could get in, look at my pictures, get into my email, my Facebook... ugh.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilahRoot View Post
I tried to deactivate it online, but that was a no-go. So, I'll be calling to take care of that tomorrow.
I'd call immediately. There has to be a 24 hour customer service number. Waiting until tomorrow will just give the thief more time to rack up charges. The longer you delay, the more the phone company may try to stick you with.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Yep, call immediately. Tell them you lost your phone today, have them lock or deactivate it and they shouldn't charge you for the long distance calls.

Texting to they to get it back won't really help, because the company will deactivate it and the text won't go through. Unless you wait to tell the company, but then they will probably stick you with the charges.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

The only reason I haven't already called is because my cell phone is/was my only phone. I have to wait for the other half to get home and ream me a new one before I can call.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
I'd call immediately. There has to be a 24 hour customer service number. Waiting until tomorrow will just give the thief more time to rack up charges. The longer you delay, the more the phone company may try to stick you with.
Report it, yes.

I work for my local provider, we need a service order from customer service to actually cut the cord to the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin