How involved is your SO in dog stuff?

CaliTerp07

Zach goes to agility trials to support me (and he's really good at doing that!), but not for one second do I think he's there because he enjoys it or that he would have ever gotten involved if not for me.

I feel bad because the last few weekends have been trial weekends which means he either tags along and is bored, or he stays at home doing his own thing and we don't see each other.

Solution: He should adopt boy lucy (see other thread).

What about your other half? How involved are they?

k9krazee

Ken, surprisingly, loves agility trials and he's really excited to see Crossbone compete someday. He's only been to a couple trials so the newness and excitement will probably wear off eventually :p

We've been going to agility classes together, but I haven't gotten Ken to do anything with him yet.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
No not really. He doesn't really care much about any of my dog sports stuff and he doesn't really go with me to do anything dog related. I wish he did some of the time.

He will help out sometimes with work related dog events, but that's about it and mainly because he knows everyone I work with.

He went to puppy class with us and is going to the elementary class too. But other than that, nothing. I'm happy he remembers we have a dog most days.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Ryan really enjoys going to obed/agility/etc trials and will even go with mutual friends when I am working :) He has also gone and volunteered at trials when I was not there, because he's awesome! :D

He would really like to run Siri in agility, but I don't know that he's up to all the training and such that you have to put in BEFORE the trials. We will see, and I am TOTALLY supportive of him competing with her, I would love that!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
No not really. He doesn't really care much about any of my dog sports stuff and he doesn't really go with me to do anything dog related. I wish he did some of the time.

He will help out sometimes with work related dog events, but that's about it and mainly because he knows everyone I work with.
But mine will sometimes say "why are you doing it like that?" (In reference to training, with Buddy I use treats & lots of PR since he was abused) OH doesn't understand that & tries to say "just make him do it" (in reference to him putting a leash on, he HATED leashes when he first came to us).

But as far as the husbandry part of it he stays out of it; he likes dogs but is not that interested in it to take up training or walking or whatever.

But in all fairness he does let me get for them what ever they need (supplements etc...), let's me feed any type of feed I want regardless of the price & doesn't ask Q's about it, so I will let him slide with the care part for that lol.

SaraB

Tim has gotten more and more involved the longer we have been together. He will go to trials and some other events if he can,but most of the time work gets in the way. He's excited to have his own dog to play with but I don't see him putting in the time needed for an involved sport like as agility. He wants to try dock diving and disc for sure though.

LilahRoot

He is very involved! :D

We met at the doggie daycare we worked at together, and he came with his own canine compadre. He wasn't the most dog savvy when we met, but he has learned a lot, and is very actively involved in our dogs.

On the other hand though, he is not interested in dog shows or competitive dog sports, but would support me none the less.

Lyzelle

Jin isn't overly involved with Zander. If anything, Zander has been a bit like training wheels for him. Learning how to train, what to feed, why this behavior is good, why it's bad. He's learning and he's studying...but not necessarily involved, if that makes sense.

NextDog will be his, though, and he's hoping to get into SAR, maybe some conformation and some random other dog sports. He's hoping to put most of the foundation work/training on himself, and he seems really excited and he's looking forward to it.

Gotta admit, never really expected him to get this into it. But I'm not complaining. :D

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
In general dog stuff, hubby is involved and loves having the dogs around, takes em on walks, Webby goes cycling with him, feeds them, reinforces training (and trains Webster for some stuff...for a while Webster was finding and retrieving hubby's cell phone for him whenever it rang lol), etc.

He doesn't do dog competitions. His stance on them is the same as mine regarding his cycling and auto work and such: I support you and am interested and love to hear about what's going on but would rather pursue my own interests than bum around yours all day while they are happening ;)

It works very very well.

milos_mommy

No SO, and I'm not involved in dog sports.

My family is helpful, supportive, and interested in my involvement with the dogs/rescue. They will do things like specifically buy stuff the rescue dogs need, help out with transport, etc. My mom often sent me packages with toys and treats for my fosters, she bought them toys whenever she bought our own dogs toys (we didn't live together then), she will always post stuff on FB about rescue events, etc.

But it's not something they would have gotten involved with on their own, and unless I specifically ask a favor they wouldn't go to the shelter or offer to transport without me.

When I was with my ex-fiance...he was kind of the same way. He'd come to competitions with me (as spectators, I never competed), would help with events if I was there, etc...but we wouldn't choose to do it on his own.

He isnt in to dog sports. he has came out for a few things. and was really excitied watching blaze do his CGN in the summer.

Other then that, no not intrested.

He adores our dogs. and otherwise is very involved in them. he is the one that takes them out every day for a good 8 km hike in the woods for a few hours. plays with them, hangs with them ect.

Im trying to get him in to something with me. but no go. maybe one day lol

Taqroy

Not very. He'll go to events and what not with me and he enjoys himself but he has almost no interest in training. I did make him take Murphy through a class when he was unemployed and driving me crazy though - it was worth it just so that he knows the basics.

I'm currently trying to convince him to take Tipper through her first agility class. I KNOW he would like it if he'd give it a chance but thus far my powers of persuasion are not working. >.<

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
He likes to pet them and occasionally throws a bumper, ball, or disc, but that's about it.

I did drag him to one agility trial and he fell asleep in his chair and I got him to go to a dockdogs event because it was at a fair and he could get fried noms, but he spent most of that trip sitting in the car, reading. :p

He's fine with me spending money on entries and is cool with me being gone weekends, so that's much appreciated, but I do wish he'd enjoy at least ONE of the sports I do enough to tag along more.

Panzerotti

Mine wouldn't do dog stuff if he were on his own, but he is super helpful with all of our activities. When we were training French Ring, he drove us 6 hours each way and hung out at training all day, helping where he could. He also drives us to all of our agility seminars, comes out to a lot of my training sessions here in town, takes videos for me, and now knows enough to give me helpful pointers here and there on my handling, lol!

Red.Apricot

He's becoming more and more interested. He wants to do sports with his next dog, and the next dog will be his. :] He has been doing amazingly well with Zobby lately; his leash reactivity is more or less under control, he's behaving in the house (for the most part) and he's been teaching him really cute tricks.

Members online

No members online now.