Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

Well, because I didn't have enough to work on already, Gusto decided to make my brain fall out last night.

We were at practice, and I asked a friend to "run" the dogwalk with us the way a judge does in trial. Gusto was perfect - crazy fast, super solid 2 on/2 off. As I turned to my friend beaming, she said "Let me see that again. He's missing his up contact."

Lunatic. Up contacts aren't even on my radar. I run small-ish dogs. I should not be thinking about this!!

He is usually dead on the center of the up contact, just not when he's coming straight at the dogwalk at full sprint. Someone needs to learn to collect a bit. I really, really don't want to screw with his dogwalk, so I think I'm just going to have to "check" him a bit on the approach if there is a runway to the dogwalk in a trial, and/or accept that, of all the problems I could have, getting called once in a while on it may not be all that bad.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Here is Abe in class this week. It was the end of the night so he was super tired but I am really happy with how well he did. He stayed focused the whole class and our first run he ran faster than I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRCZtnYQG5o&sns=em
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Well, because I didn't have enough to work on already, Gusto decided to make my brain fall out last night.

We were at practice, and I asked a friend to "run" the dogwalk with us the way a judge does in trial. Gusto was perfect - crazy fast, super solid 2 on/2 off. As I turned to my friend beaming, she said "Let me see that again. He's missing his up contact."

Lunatic. Up contacts aren't even on my radar. I run small-ish dogs. I should not be thinking about this!!

He is usually dead on the center of the up contact, just not when he's coming straight at the dogwalk at full sprint. Someone needs to learn to collect a bit. I really, really don't want to screw with his dogwalk, so I think I'm just going to have to "check" him a bit on the approach if there is a runway to the dogwalk in a trial, and/or accept that, of all the problems I could have, getting called once in a while on it may not be all that bad.
Crazy they call up contacts! They don't here unless its an unsafe approach.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

I think USDAA is the only venue that does. I knew one venue did, but hadn't ever paid attention to the rules since I never thought it would matter to me.

Interesting rule change I just found out about the other day - USDAA will soon be changing the table to 'any position for a count of 5', rather than requiring the down. Apparently the change is definite, the time it will be implemented will be decided at the next board meeting - likely either this fall or sometime in the spring. Thoughts?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Interesting rule change I just found out about the other day - USDAA will soon be changing the table to 'any position for a count of 5', rather than requiring the down. Apparently the change is definite, the time it will be implemented will be decided at the next board meeting - likely either this fall or sometime in the spring. Thoughts?
I'm sad about this. I'll still teach an automatic down even though it's not needed for the three venues I trial in (USDAA, AKC and CPE) because it will prevent table fly-offs.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
I think USDAA is the only venue that does. I knew one venue did, but hadn't ever paid attention to the rules since I never thought it would matter to me.

They're changing it to that for CKC simply to save time... I don't quite understand.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
They're changing it to that for CKC simply to save time... I don't quite understand.
Me neither and when they changed it for AKC it irritated me. There are still things out there that are SAFETY issues that they aren't addressing (tire injuries??) and they're worried about the time it takes on the table? C'mon.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I kind of get it, at the super high levels where split seconds count. With this you can use a computerized timer so that it's exactly 5 seconds from the time the dog lands on the table, as opposed to approximately 5 seconds from when the judge thinks the dog's elbows hit the table.

It does seem to take away an element of difficulty though.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Yeah it's supposed to be so they can use a table timer and remove the inconsistency of judge counting at big tournaments/events.

Still, I was disappointed to see that criteria eliminated.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

I agree with the general consensus; I hate to see the table "dumbed down", although I understand the arguments for it a bit. Days can get long, and a bit less time per dog does add up.

Both of my dogs are trained to hit the table in a down, and will keep being trained that way. I like them thinking about dropping their center of gravity as they fly at it. I can picture Gusto in particular thinking of the table as a fun new launch pad if I didn't have him thinking "down"!