Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

View Poll Results: Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?
Yes 31 36.05%
No 34 39.53%
Almost 15 17.44%
This is a dog forum? 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I would totally take an Abe-let.
Oh lord so would I! Hundreds of them!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Omg. I would totally want a Keeva puppy (as long as it's male). It would be like having the offspring of a Mu/Tipper cross.
LOL! you'd love one, you're experienced in angry short dog ways.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Allons-y!

This is a cool thread - it's interesting to see what everyones' priorities are.

Cricket - Well, I sure hope so, considering she's been bred twice! In all seriousness though, absolutely, and if I didn't think two litters was enough for one dog I wouldn't hesitate to breed her again. She's got great structure, has passed all her health tests, and has a truly wonderful temperament - bouncy, playful, social, focused, stable, athletic, and so willing to work. She is such a dependable agility dog, and really loves the game. A great courser, crazy for the lure. She's got a nice pedigree - accomplished, healthy, long-lived - and I only hear good things about her offspring.

Journey - Yes. She is such a well-built dog and moves like a dream. I wish her ears weren't all over the place, but that doesn't have an impact on function, and apparently you can usually fix that in one generation. Again, wonderful temperament - a little sillier than her mother but similar in many respects. It seems like she recently grew a brain, and if she keeps up her good focus, she's going to be a great agility dog for my sister. She's a great courser too, and fast. Nice pedigree - her litter was the culmination of two lines Cricket's breeder has been maintaining. There may be some Journey-lets running around in the next year and a half or so In the meantime we'll get some more titles on her and finish health testing.

Newton - Too soon to tell, as he's only around nine months old, but so far he's a promising pup. Except for a few minor nitpicks, I think he's going to be gorgeous. Wonderful temperament - so sweet and snuggly, focused, confident, and doing great in his foundations agility class. Excellent on the lure already. Time will tell but I have high hopes for him.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Big Dog

Well Avril has already been bred once and hopefully will be bred again. But I think so. I would take a million Avril clones if I could. Although she's stubborn, she has the ideal temperament (well for me.) Not super friendly but not aggressive or shy at all. Absolutely nothing scares her. Protective. Alert. Smart. So far healthy and all her health tests are normal. And she's beautiful. I wish she was a little more smooth over the top of her back, but besides that she's nearly perfect in my opinion (so I'm a little bias ) Also parents/grandparents/random family members are all titled and health tested.

I think this is a really good thread! It's interesting seeing whats important to everyone. And what others consider breeding quality.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Duuuuude.

Rowan: Depends. Am I breeding for proper Brittanys? If so, then hell no, LOL. He doesn't look like a Brittany in a lot of ways (too tall, some wonkiness with his face/head) and certainly doesn't ACT like one in a lot of ways (waaay too mellow and little to no bird drive.) If I was hypothetically breeding for good, stable pets? Much more likely. He's intelligent (if anything too intelligent; if I'm going for companion dogs I might match him to a bitch that was a little less cunning.) He's basically bombproof; no noise reactivity, perfectly fine with other dogs/strangers/cats (just not rodents!), and is willing to try anything. Doing our foundations and beginner classes for agility have been a dream because he has no hesitation about any of the obstacles, at all, even the teeter. He's also EXTREMELY food motivated (which is almost detrimental, he loses his composure/mind over it after a while, but makes training basic things with low value rewards pretty easy.) He's the master of cuddles and sticks to me like glue. I am pretty much the only thing in the world he cares about.

In the end though I still probably wouldn't. He had some minor seizures when I first got him that the vet said he'd grow out of (and has) but I don't know enough about the type to risk passing it on. He also has really, really bad SA. I don't know if it's genetic or if it's something I inadvertently nurtured in him; if I knew it wasn't genetic it wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but who knows. And of course, I don't know anything about his lineage other than that his parents were both untitled, likely untested dogs from one of the Carolinas.

Riff: He's still young so it's probably too early to say, but at this point? Oh HELL no! He's such a sweetheart, but he's got this combination of being an uncontrollable spaz and just not being very smart that can get very frustrating. For the time being I'm attributing it to being two very high-energy breeds AND still having a puppy brain (he's a month shy of 2) but man, I'm really hoping he gets at least a little smarter...

He's also a mix, unknown parentage on at least one side, who knows about his health (I think he's having food allergy issues right now actually), so yeah, definitely a resounding no!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Considering Bubbles is going to have pups within the week, I would say yes for her LOL. She's a CH (finished very quickly), health tested, got an AOM at Nationals, and I'm sure would be GCH pointed if we had any competition around here. I love her structure and movement, her temperament is very good (wish she were a BIT more confident, but that's more her upbringing than anything, and I had no part in that since I didn't get her until she was a year and a half), and she's just plain pretty. I honestly started coveting her when I saw pics when she was 10 months old, and I'm so glad she matured nicely and that I'm able to begin my lines with her.

Pen, yes. Really his only fault is that he's a BIT small for a male. So if the female were on the bigger side, I would have no problems. He's just HANDSOME. He's health tested, a CH, GCH pointed, has a fantastic temperament, eager to please, and while I'm not totally in love with his movement, for the right female, I would breed him. He's already been bred once (his son is a CH, and I think his other offspring weren't shown). He also shows the most treeing instinct of my three, which I love. Most of the time. Maybe not at 6am when we have neighbors close all around us

Kimma. NO. Oh man. As much as I want other Finkies like her, she's just sort of a mess. Weird IBD problems, history of Demodex, nervy, fearful of random things, etc. She doesn't have the confidence I would want any breeding dogs to have. But I do love her and hope that I can find a future puppy with the drive and trainability that she has. Though I think a lot of that was sort of worked on throughout the years, versus something she necessarily came with.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Top Dog

Mini Cattle Pirates for all!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Top Dog

If you breed Journey, I will seriously sell you my first born for one of her puppies. She is one of the most beautiful dogs I've ever seen, and I have a whippet sized hole in my heart that Argon left.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Emma was going to be shown and possibly bred depending on how well she did, and how her health test results were.

However, she ended up not weighing enough, so we spayed her.

If I could magically make her weigh at least 5lbs, I'd consider her breed worthy. She's an amazing little dog, and the world needs more Emma's.

Rylie and Tucker are both great examples of chihuahuas as well... so if they were health tested (and had all their parts and Rylie was larger lol) I'd love puppies.

Chloe has such an AWESOME personality and little Chloe's would be amazing

And Rory... he's a great dog but I'm not sure the world could handle such chaos But seriously, he's pretty awesome and had I competed with him, health tested him, he could make some pretty awesome puppies. He's intact, but he's not going to be bred.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
Mini Cattle Pirates for all!!!!!!!
I'll take one!