Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-06-2013, 06:26 AM
I'm All Ears

Good enough answer?

DSC_1367 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

The cat is pretty much one of the dogs. She likes the dogs and the dogs LOVE her. Poor cat is always getting bathed by the papillons.

Mia will chase other cats and was very interested in Joy the first few meetings. But with a little supervision has figured this cat thing out.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Top Dog

Murphy ignores cats when he knows them. He did flush a cat out of the brush in our backyard and chase it up a tree one day. I have no doubt that if he'd caught it he would have killed it.

Mu is terrified of cats. She is certain that they're all out to kill her.

Tipper LOVES cats. She thinks they're little dogs. Last time I had her at the vet she saw their resident cat and just melted. Then play bowed, then barked, then play bowed again, then got really sad because the cat didn't want anything to do with the fluffy orange monster. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Behavior Nerd

Ziva thinks cats are scary weird and will avoid even our cat. She likes to act like he doesn't exist, but if he startles her, she'll run.

Kes thinks our cat is awesome but he's way too rough with him. Outside they are prey animals.

Aeri also loves our cat but she's too rough most of the time. Her fav activity is to run into his room and lay on top of him. Sometimes Pi seems to enjoy this, sometimes not. She seems to be mildly interested in outside cats as friends as well.

Snipe thinks cats are fascinating and is gradually learning to control her enthusiasm around Pi, so they've had some positive interactions. Outside the house, cats are prey.

Maggie and Pi were great friends. They played well together and I have several videos of that play that crack me up every time I run across them. I do think Pi misses having a dog to play with sometimes.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Chloe was raised with cats (and has raised kittens), so she has an understanding for cats. She knows they are cats, they have their own little quirks, and she has to interact with them differently than she does other animals. Depending on the cat (and age), she either mothers it, ignores it, plays with it, or chases it (any feral/barn cats that come onto our property are fair game for her to chase down - we actually encouraged that behavior to keep our kitties safe from the wandering cats). She behaves the same way with ferrets (minus the chasing part, as they were never outside loose together).

Cynder ignores all cats. If one runs when she is outside she may chase it, but she will recall off of it. Inside, they are "pets", thus they are to be ignored at all costs, regardless of their behavior. Same goes with other pocket pets.

Gracie and Cooper have no idea WTF cats are. As with most of my smaller pocket pets. They are torn between being terrified, being curious, and being aggressive. When they're at my mom's they will bark at and chase the cats because the cats run from them, especially outside. Again, they typically recall off of them or stop when they're yelled at. I had Gracie with me at my apartment the other day and she met Willie (FIV+ foster kitty I have). He adored her, but she basically just slunk around the apartment trying to avoid him. And if she couldn't (he kept trying to follow her around and rub up on her LOL) she would just stand there and look worried.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Not a Border Collie

Quinn used to like cats way more lol. She and my moms cat (who showed up as a pregnant stray) used to be inseparable. Quinn has since helped raise two litters of bad kittens who like to jump out at her and attack her tail, so she's become a little bit more protective of herself. She will still lie with the cats though and greets them when she comes home.

Strange cats get her pretty worked up. She just gets very excited and wants to meet them. She would never kill a cat.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Play that funky music.

Embyr likes cats. She likes to play with ours, they enjoy rubbing up against her. She knows they aren't dogs, but enjoys them just the same.

Deke... thinks cats are dogs and OBVIOUSLY must want to play with him, always.

Copper and Shadow don't give the cats much attention.

Bloo... likes chasing cats. We've done a looot of impulse control work, but she an the cats will never be in the same room without a crate or leash between them. If she accidentally slips through a door and there are cats on the other side, she'll run up to them, but looks back to me and won't attack them. Thankfully, since my family is no longer allowed to handle Bloo, it hasn't happened lately. It's happened a total of three? times ever.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Artimis has a healthy respect of them when they are inside, and even outside to a point. With our Kat he lets the cat sniff him and stands there until the temperamental jerk leaves him alone. With my sisters kitten Gizmo, he is gentle and grooms her or plays with her depending on the mood. Outside,unless it's one of our cats he will chase them down with a vengence! When he corners them (happened only once) he backs off and goes "boy that was fun wasn't it?"

Talon: Only cat he's been around was Gizmo and Kat. Kat, he gives decent respect of her space, only curiosity from a distance. Gizmo he plays with, but in a good way not too rough. Outside he's seen a few cats and only show mild curiosity unless they are running. If they run he is more "I want to HERD!" lol
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
orange iguanas.

Happy is fine and ignores them.

Lucy and Juno I don't really know. They are fine with our cat. They ignore him. But they live with him... I have no idea what they would do if they met a strange cat.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Top Dog

Tucker can read cat body language better than most of the people in our house (knows what pinned ears, tense bodies, wagging tails, staring at each other means) un fortunately he uses his powers for evil. If the cats get ticked at each other he chases and nips Neko, its alarming when he does it but he never hurts him. He also does not let them play. If hes upstairs and heres their feet or bodies thump on the floor in a way that suggests they are playing he runs down to chase Neko.

He also really wishes Willie were a dog, he used to try sooooo hard to get him to play, luckiy he's mostly given up, Willie was being harassed. If a cat shows any aggression towards him he thinks its a play thing. He will become more intense in his attempt to play, I think hes actually ran from a cat once and I think the cat had gotten stuck in his face.

But deep down hes afraid of Neko. Neko continually tries to snuggle with him and Tucker looks terrified, he freezes and cant move. As soon as he has the oppurtunity to leave ( if neko gets up to readjust) he bolts away. He's less worried about Willie but will still look alarmed if he comes to cuddle.

Outside Im not sure. If he sees a cat out the window he goes nuts, but he does that to dogs too. On walks he acts like I would if I saw a black bear in someones yard, moves slow, bobs head, looks spooked and doesnt stop looking back until its far out of range.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

I'm not really sure how Crossbone is with cats...

He's met my parent's cats behind gates and is always really excited, crying, play bowing & spinning in circles. I don't think he'd hurt them inside unless they ran from him - he did chase one of the cats outside. I'm not sure if he'd hurt or kill a cat if he caught one.

He did meet Ken's brother's cat and kept a distance after the cat hissed at him.