Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Top Dog

If your goal is more competitive agility, why not go for a border collie? They fit everything except the rare breed thing, but you could always try to look for a rare color I guess?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Sport Model Pug

Besides wanting a breed that is aloof with strangers, a FCR could work! I find they're not "zomg molest all strangers with kisses" in the way they'd go out of their way to stop focusing on the task at hand to visit a stranger, but most flat coats don't know what a stranger is when introduced. From my experience they seem to fit everything else.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Top Dog

I was almost thinking Pyr Shep...but I don't know a whole lot about them other than what people have written on this forum . Maybe the pyrshep people could chime in.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ohhhh those are PRETTY. Again, never would have thought of them. I would definitely have to meet a few before deciding. Wonder if there are any breeders near me... I don't think I've seen any at trials near me, but then again, I haven't been to too many trials anyway
I know the one that I know was imported from Iceland. I don't think it was hugely expensive. She is really a very cool dog. Handy size (runs 16" championship), quite fast, and has been fairly competitive both is USDAA, AKC, and AAC. She was the top Icelandic at AKC Nationals or Invitationals or whatever they had recently, and I believe ran clear in every round.

She's also a "short" coat, which is apparently relative, but I like it better than the really puffy ones. It's still longer than the Finkies I think, but not 'poof' everywhere!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
If your goal is more competitive agility, why not go for a border collie? They fit everything except the rare breed thing, but you could always try to look for a rare color I guess?
Getting a BC just for the agility aspect is not a good idea. There are plenty of breeds that can be competitive in agility. It is much better to go with a dog that fits what you want as a pet first and foremost.

I love BCs but I hate the notion that 'Well, I want a competitive agility dog... better go get myself a BC'. It doesn't do the owners, the individual dogs, or the breed any favors.

Anyways, my first thought was some of the herding spitz. I don't know how they compare to Finkies but I really like Icelandic sheepdogs. Maybe Sammy? German spitz? Lapphund? I really do like the Icelandic spitz idea.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I was almost thinking Pyr Shep...but I don't know a whole lot about them other than what people have written on this forum . Maybe the pyrshep people could chime in.
The list was too vague for me to suggest a PyrShep. It didn't include things like "I think like frenetic, hyper, ADD dogs are way fun" so...

Looking at the list Pyrsheps are...

- drivey

-a combination of biddable and independent

- grooming requirements vary depending on coat type

- definitely between 10-60 lbs

- their breed standard calls for them to be distrustful of strangers (a bit more than "aloof")

- they are rare

- they aren't overly prone to DA or SSA...but they are bossy

- they're very affectionate and sometimes obsessive over their people. They want to be with their people all the time. I wouldn't say they are velcro dogs because that implies that they would be stuck in one spot for any length of time.

- They do bark but I don't think they bark as much as Finkies

- They obviously have great potential as agility dogs and are on the high energy side of things.

But...they're PyrSheps They need a lot of socialization and exposure as puppies. They may or may not care to have strangers touch or interact with them. They've got a hyper, frantic aspect to them...it's part of their charm if they're the right breed for you A Belgian friend of mine told me not to get one because "they're too hyper to do anything with". There is a tendency with them to be alarmists. They can develop phobias. To me, they are really best suited for herding breed enthusiasts or someone who really enjoys wild, crazy, hyper dogs and who is able to not sweat the small stuff behavior wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Anyways, my first thought was some of the herding spitz. I don't know how they compare to Finkies but I really like Icelandic sheepdogs. Maybe Sammy? German spitz? Lapphund? I really do like the Icelandic spitz idea.
Other than the Icelandic, I'm not sure any of the others would have much more drive and desire for agility than a Finkie.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Getting a BC just for the agility aspect is not a good idea. There are plenty of breeds that can be competitive in agility. It is much better to go with a dog that fits what you want as a pet first and foremost.

I love BCs but I hate the notion that 'Well, I want a competitive agility dog... better go get myself a BC'. It doesn't do the owners, the individual dogs, or the breed any favors.

But.... they fit all of her criteria (minus the rare breed thing that wasn't a must and I noted...) AND are good agile dogs... That's why I recommended them.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:

^ this.

It's a common mistake that a lot of people make. Want to be competitive? Get a BC. Doesn't work that way. They can be some of the most challenging dogs to train too.

They may be an option, but BCs are weird. There's no other way to say it but they're quirky and that doesn't mesh with a lot of people.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 AM
& the Muttly Crew

The Vallhunds I've met would fit your criteria pretty well. Drivey, tough, yet work-minded. More athletic than many other dwarf breeds with more moderate length of leg and back...they are quick. No idea how they are health-wise though.

I like the Icelandic Sheepdog idea but don't know enough about them to recommend one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
^ this.

It's a common mistake that a lot of people make. Want to be competitive? Get a BC. Doesn't work that way. They can be some of the most challenging dogs to train too.

They may be an option, but BCs are weird. There's no other way to say it but they're quirky and that doesn't mesh with a lot of people.
I think BCs hold the record on most-likely-to-backfire in agility lol. SO many people get one to be more competitive or to be recognized as a "real" agility handler and end up incredibly frustrated and/or switching to another breed.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
^ this.

There are SOOOO many lines of BCs out there that a lot are. Doing the proper research is certainly necessary, but challenging to train? I don't know if I'd go that far... This is the second BC pup I've raised from different lines and the ease at which they learn and figure out what you want of them because of their biddability is astounding.

Obviously getting any dog for an ego trip is not a good idea, but BCs ARE the perfect size and shape for agility with extreme biddability, but not completely velcro that goes great with the sport. Find the right lines that don't have quirky, neurotic dogs, and you're golden.