Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Vinegar is vinegar. As long as it doesn't come into contact with anything that would alter it (like baking soda), it shouldn't lose it's efficiency at all. I use regular white vinegar, but apple cider like Fran uses is actually way better and doesn't dry the coat out as much.

Plus it smells a little nicer.
As you can see in this thread, I know nothing about chemical reactions and what may cause things to lose effectiveness... so I just ask. Haha. XD

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 PM
such sights to show you

My point was simply that even "natural" products ARE chemicals. So it always amuses me to see someone spurn "chemical" flea and tick products and then use something "natural."

Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

It's all a matter of science. The sentiment is the same, regardless. Mad-made products are full of extremely harmful chemicals for dogs. Natural products are not full of harmful chemicals, so it's easy to say that they aren't "chemical products."

Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

So... since chocolate is natural, it isn't full of chemicals that are harmful for dogs?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure why it's necessary to get into specifics about chemicals? EVERYONE here knew exactly what I -and others- meant.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Mad-made products are full of extremely harmful chemicals for dogs. Natural products are not full of harmful chemicals,
Really doesn't work that way. If I'm not mistaken there IS a chemical in garlic and onions that can be harmful to dogs. Not quite as simple as man-made=bad and natural=good.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenoLo View Post
Really doesn't work that way. If I'm not mistaken there IS a chemical in garlic and onions that can be harmful to dogs. Not quite as simple as man-made=bad and natural=good.
I'm talking about dog products, though. Not everything in general. Which is why chocolate has no part in the conversation?

When garlic is dried the way the Bug Off Garlic is made, it doesn't effect dogs apparently.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'm not sure why it's necessary to get into specifics about chemicals? EVERYONE here knew exactly what I -and others- meant.
Two reasons.

1) chemical is a word with a meaning. You are using it incorrectly. If you learn to use it correctly, you will be better understood in the future.

2) appeal to nature is a logical fallacy. Just because something is natural does not mean it is more effective or less dangerous than something manmade. And the distinction is not as black and white as you are implying.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegan View Post
Two reasons.

1) chemical is a word with a meaning. You are using it incorrectly. If you learn to use it correctly, you will be better understood in the future.

2) appeal to nature is a logical fallacy. Just because something is natural does not mean it is more effective or less dangerous than something manmade. And the distinction is not as black and white as you are implying.
I will probably continue using it incorrectly regardless. Because, no one I know in real life cares about the real meaning, and that is what gets the point across. I'm understood just fine by anyone that isn't a science major, apparently. Numerous people in this thread, included...

So natural dog products (specifically medications, since that is what we are talking about here) are not less dangerous than man-made dog products?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
The reason why I think it's necessary to get into specifics is that the beliefs that "natural" products are 1. chemical-free and 2. inherently safer than man-made products are incorrect and misleading. It's just fear mongering that interferes with thoughtful risk assessment about what to use (I'm speaking generally here, not just flea/tick control).