Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

This is an excellent "interview" for potential breeders. It is aimed towards Groenendael but applies to any sort of Belgian. You may find it helpful in trying to choose a breeder.

http://www.kristen.nelson.us/BSDFAQ/BSDFAQ/
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
People don't post breeder links because Chazzers are FREAKIN' nuts . There are no rules against it, people just don't want to hear others nitpick and bash their breeder choice. I've had people PM me (completely unwarranted, I've never been seeking a puppy or asked their opinion) lists of their problems with breeders who have been longtime members of Chaz when they have a litter. If I post something like "I know that puppy will grow up to be a great dog!" or "She looks like an agility star in the making" I get PMs that are like "Do you even know ANYTHING about her breeding program? The parents only have XYZ titles and that's not really very impressive and the stud's great-great-uncle only scored fair on his OFA". This has happened like 3 times.

SO, aside from my "chazzers are nuts" rant...my only concerns with that Mal breeder would be the amount of dogs they have/breed. It looks like maybe the list of their dogs aren't all dogs they currently own, though...maybe all the dogs they've bred? That's kind of a personal concern, too...I want to look for a breeder who absolutely has the time and energy to follow up on all their puppies and put 110% into every single litter, and many people can't do that with 3 litters a year, but I'm sure some can. I'd question if all the pups were born and raised in the home, but again, I don't think it makes them a bad breeder if they breed the pups in a kennel environment, just something that has pros and cons and I'd not personally want.

Also, Mals come in blue?!?
I see, that makes sense I guess. Hopefully I won't regret posting the link then!

And yes almost ALL the breeding dogs are co-owned, no breeding dog is kenneled they all live as pets in a home. The main breeder has I believe 5 or 6 dogs, all the rest are co-owns.

And they don't breed FOR the colour blue but it does crop up in their lines sometimes. All dogs are of course health tested and titled in something before being bred from (and there are many very successful working dogs produced as well as the more "active companion" type pups).
Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I am missing the health testing and sport titles on many breedings, can you point them out? I see one with some basic obed stuff which is cool but many without anything.

Why this breeder over others? 1,500 is actually pretty expensive for a pet with soft sport potential considering many well bred Belgians go for 600-1,000.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.

Last edited by AdrianneIsabel; 02-03-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I am missing the health testing and sport titles on many breedings, can you point them out? I see one with some basic obed stuff which is cool but many without anything.

Why this breeder over others? 1,500 is actually pretty expensive considering many well bred Belgians go for 600-1,000.
Many of the dogs listed haven't been used for breeding yet but will potentially after titling/testing. I'm not sure of all the titles on the dogs on the planned litters page (and not all those litters are confirmed), I know two are drug detection dogs, agility titles on some others (you are right, they aren't listed on that page, I'm not sure why). It seems not everything is listed but I know the breeder has said on numerous occasions that dogs get titled before actually breeding. This would of course be something I would look further into/verify before buying.

I'm not set on this breeder by any means BUT I have heard really great things from all the puppy owners that I have talked to, and it sounds like they frequently produce just the kind of dog that I would be looking for - which not all Mal breeders seem to.

What breeders would you recommend? I'd be looking for mainly an active companion, but also want to participate in agility, obedience, disc, and potentially schutzhund.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I would start with Avalon and Carousel. Have you peeked around about them yet?

Additionally I presume my ideal in the breed would not suit you but Stafinois and Aleron would be fantastic people to contact for reputable breeders with a lesser edge(less "work" focused, more soft sport) as an ideal.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I would start with Avalon and Carousel. Have you peeked around about them yet?

Additionally I presume my ideal in the breed would not suit you but Stafinois and Aleron would be fantastic people to contact for reputable breeders with a lesser edge(less "work" focused, more soft sport) as an ideal.
Thank you Yes I have looked at Carousel before but not Avalon, and I couldn't actually find anything about them when I did a search just now.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Malinois can come in blue, yes, but it's not an ideal and not something to be bred for.

People will buy what they'll buy but anyone propping a dog for color and not achievements hurts my heart.

Sucks to see the breed follow in pit bull steps but I worry it is inevitable.

This.

I have an Avonlea dog. Ann has produced multiple MACHs, OTCHs, herding champions, and at least one tracking champion. My dog is bombproof and has a littermate brother doing well in IPO. I highly recommend her dogs.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Avonlea, sorry, I love Stan. I would totally look to them for a dog. Plus he's adorable.

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post

I have an Avonlea dog. Ann has produced multiple MACHs, OTCHs, herding champions, and at least one tracking champion. My dog is bombproof and has a littermate brother doing well in IPO. I highly recommend her dogs.
Great, thanks for the recommendation. I just checked out their website, couldn't find any info on their individual dogs, though.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
Great, thanks for the recommendation. I just checked out their website, couldn't find any info on their individual dogs, though.

Yeah, her website isn't the best. She's really modest about her dogs' accomplishments, never one to gloat or brag. Your best bet is to just email her. She really does it for the love of the dogs and the breed.