Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

So. Much. To. Do. Ugh!

On the other hand, at least this snicker doodle hummus I made to go with chocolate pita chips for dinner is pretty rockin'.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

To my friends for twenty minutes to take her kid who had surgery some toys= stomach virus for me this weekend.

And at the worst of it Byron also has some issue of his own I had to clean up and he smeared it everywhere. Like he tried to dance in it. Ahhhhh. The smell is still in my nose! The dogs don't like to poop outside while its cold. Sorry guys I don't control the weather!!!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
To my friends for twenty minutes to take her kid who had surgery some toys= stomach virus for me this weekend.

And at the worst of it Byron also has some issue of his own I had to clean up and he smeared it everywhere. Like he tried to dance in it. Ahhhhh. The smell is still in my nose! The dogs don't like to poop outside while its cold. Sorry guys I don't control the weather!!!
I read that thinking Byron was the SO. It was hilarious, then absolutely disgusting, then it clicked in

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
On the one hand, sometimes I just want to post in big HUGE letters that I'm autistic and have issues because of it, and for people to get the heck over it. Because I haven't even told most of my family when I got diagnosed. I actually haven't even told them I was going to see a dr.
I never told anyone when I went to a doctor, either. My mom didn't accept that I was autistic until 6 months after I was diagnosed. But by now, pretty much everyone knows I'm autisitc. They just don't understand how much it affects me, because they only see me for a few hours a week. Even at home, I tend to hide out in my room when it gets bad.

ETA: I did it. We'll see what happens.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Vizsla mom

What does a service dog do for an autistic person? I'm sure there is plenty (if only even making socializing easier) but I just have never heard of autism leading to service dogs! I'm not asking with rude intentions at all, I am genuinely curious!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I read that thinking Byron was the SO. It was hilarious, then absolutely disgusting, then it clicked in
Ha ha ha!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
What does a service dog do for an autistic person? I'm sure there is plenty (if only even making socializing easier) but I just have never heard of autism leading to service dogs! I'm not asking with rude intentions at all, I am genuinely curious!
Mostly, he's for sensory processing issues. He does some guide work, balance work, and signal work. He'll tell me if I'm doing certain "stims" because there stims mean I'm either "stuck" or headed for sensory shutdown, and as long as I notice them I can react appropriately and if not postpone it, at least get somewhere where I can recover more easily. He stops at any street crossing, including crossing from a parking lot to the store and back. He find the car, entrances, exits, bathrooms, home, and follows routes to get to classes. He also does some deep pressure tasks, though I don't often need those in public and at home Gavroche is better at them. That said, every autism SD will probably do something different, because autism affects everyone differently.

Autism "service dogs" for kids are being popular, but 99% of the time it's done improperly - tie the kid to a dog and all your problems are solved, right? I have seen it done well, but it's super rare. And there are very, very few places that will train an autism dog for an adult, because most places that "train" autism dogs don't actually train them, they just tie small children to them. But that could have a whole vent thread on its own
Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

Just saw something about rescues not adopting to senior people. Give me a break.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Just saw something about rescues not adopting to senior people. Give me a break.
The amount of hatred I feel for generalized adoption bans is extreme.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Mostly, he's for sensory processing issues. He does some guide work, balance work, and signal work. He'll tell me if I'm doing certain "stims" because there stims mean I'm either "stuck" or headed for sensory shutdown, and as long as I notice them I can react appropriately and if not postpone it, at least get somewhere where I can recover more easily. He stops at any street crossing, including crossing from a parking lot to the store and back. He find the car, entrances, exits, bathrooms, home, and follows routes to get to classes. He also does some deep pressure tasks, though I don't often need those in public and at home Gavroche is better at them. That said, every autism SD will probably do something different, because autism affects everyone differently.

Autism "service dogs" for kids are being popular, but 99% of the time it's done improperly - tie the kid to a dog and all your problems are solved, right? I have seen it done well, but it's super rare. And there are very, very few places that will train an autism dog for an adult, because most places that "train" autism dogs don't actually train them, they just tie small children to them. But that could have a whole vent thread on its own
That's very interesting! Thanks for not getting defensive about my question.
I have seen kids with autism with dogs but I thought it was just like dogs they already owned& the kids bonded. I had no idea they were specifically trained because they didn't appear to be doing anything other than remaining calm ..although, owning a V I do consider a dog remaining calm to be a minor miracle