Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Silence, peasants.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 2,061
Default

I was thinking escapade with the livestock guardian dog x border collie too.
__________________


Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Paviche's Avatar
Paviche Paviche is online now
Duuuuude.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,035
Default

We have a BC/Pyr at work that looks just like a giant BC so I tend to agree with that guess.
__________________

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 AM
golden&hovawart's Avatar
golden&hovawart golden&hovawart is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 86,Fr
Posts: 638
Default

My father's BC was 23in for 65pds so yes it's possible and he was purebred and a working dog.
This one could stand to lose some weight but yes,you do get some big ones.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 AM
CatStina CatStina is offline
SBT Lover!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 634
Default

Thanks, all! I had no idea BCs could be so big! Interesting to know! This dog, though, didn't even have the structure of a BC. I think BC x Pyr sounds plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden&hovawart View Post
My father's BC was 23in for 65pds so yes it's possible and he was purebred and a working dog.
This one could stand to lose some weight but yes,you do get some big ones.
She was very adamant with an other customer about how her dog was in good shape and was a perfect weight. He was not. He had NO tuck and was clearly overweight.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Kilter Kilter is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 536
Default

I've seen that too, border collies that are 27 at the shoulder and 'purebred'. But oddly came from a breeder that had 100+ dogs on the property including livestock dogs and some other assorted ones....

I know here in Alberta there's a lot of males that get to be around 50 or so, they're just made bigger here. Kilt gets called a sheltie mix all the time because she's small. Oh and Merle and most experts I run into agree that border collies only come in black and white. Uh huh.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM
CatStina CatStina is offline
SBT Lover!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
I've seen that too, border collies that are 27 at the shoulder and 'purebred'. But oddly came from a breeder that had 100+ dogs on the property including livestock dogs and some other assorted ones....

I know here in Alberta there's a lot of males that get to be around 50 or so, they're just made bigger here. Kilt gets called a sheltie mix all the time because she's small. Oh and Merle and most experts I run into agree that border collies only come in black and white. Uh huh.
That's why almost every black and white dog with a longer snout is called a BD mix in our shelters.


P.S. My question was "What color is a brown dog?" Apparently, "I don't know, but I know it's not a Border Collie." is not the correct answer. :P
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM
BostonBanker's Avatar
BostonBanker BostonBanker is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,356
Default

I've definitely known purebred BC who were big enough that, if they were allowed to be as heavy as that dog appears to be from the picture, would probably weigh at least 75 lbs. There is a young agility dog in the area who is the tallest BC I've ever seen. He looks like a pony.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Shai's Avatar
Shai Shai is offline
& the Muttly Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
There is a young agility dog in the area who is the tallest BC I've ever seen. He looks like a pony.
Ironically the biggest BC I know is indeed nicknamed Pony lol
__________________

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Kilter Kilter is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
That's why almost every black and white dog with a longer snout is called a BD mix in our shelters.


P.S. My question was "What color is a brown dog?" Apparently, "I don't know, but I know it's not a Border Collie." is not the correct answer. :P

LOL There are brown border collies too. Actually looking at one to use as a stud down the road maybe, color aside he's pretty nice....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM
CatStina CatStina is offline
SBT Lover!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
LOL There are brown border collies too. Actually looking at one to use as a stud down the road maybe, color aside he's pretty nice....
I know. My grandmother's BC is brown! :P
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site