Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 AM
such sights to show you

Really, honestly IME stuff like not using the litterbox after being declawed, becoming a biter, trouble walking... after seeing literally hundreds of declawed cats over the years they just really truly aren't common problems if the procedure is done properly and there is adequate pain management.

I'd prefer if people didn't declaw their cats. But many cats simply would not have homes if they were not declawed. Cat > claws.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Really, honestly IME stuff like not using the litterbox after being declawed, becoming a biter, trouble walking... after seeing literally hundreds of declawed cats over the years they just really truly aren't common problems if the procedure is done properly and there is adequate pain management.

I'd prefer if people didn't declaw their cats. But many cats simply would not have homes if they were not declawed. Cat > claws.
False. The cats actually become so overcome with grief and distress that they commit suicide following their declawing.

True story.

Oh no wait. That, or they actually become well adjusted and content pets with no behavioral or medical issues. Obviously there is everything in between, too, but my cat is declawed and there's no way you'd be able to tell. Doesn't bite, still kneads, uses scratching posts, uses her litter box, and has no trouble putting an 80 lb dog and an obnoxious kitten in their places. There's also been more than a handful of declawed cats where I used to volunteer and there was never an issue with their behavior. I believe the concerns are valid, but I also believe that the likelihood of those concerns arising are greatly exaggerated.

An intact dog won't tend to roam if you don't give him the opportunity. A declawed cat shouldn't develop a tendency to bite if the cat isn't constantly put in a position to...? I'll admit I don't know much about cats, but it seems intuitive to me.

I'm not denying that declawing sucks, because it does. My cat was declawed in her previous home and I didn't know that she was until after I made an inquiry. I personally find it an awful procedure and hearing about it makes me wince. I wouldn't ever declaw my cats, and I have met some awful, pissy cats. But I agree with the idea that if a cat has to be declawed to have a permanent, responsible home, then so be it.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Most likely because you proclaim it inhibited their ability to communicate and ruined their interactions with other dogs and people. That has not been my experience with debarked dogs, I am guessing nor Alerons.

Was your experience of these debarked dogs through the shelter setting? Is it not possible there was another factor?

Ime debarked dogs bark, they just rasp, and are otherwise normal dogs.
That would be it

I actually had a dog here for a year or so for training that in the time I had her, went to get OFA'd and was debarked at the same time. Her owner debarks pretty much all of her dogs, whenever they are put under for something else. I got her back immediately after the debark and had her for a good 5 or so months after that. I did all of the aftercare on her and it seriously was no big deal at all. She was able to eat fine and was her normal happy self. The biggest issue was keeping her quiet for the following week so excess scar tissue didn't form. It was easy though, because she was already trained to a bark collar, so she just wore that during times she might be inclined to bark. She behaved exactly the same after the debark as she did before. No change in behavior at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post

Wait, seriously? lol, they usually have so much hair I have a hard time telling the cropped from the uncropped dogs, never knew! And well, because of that to tell you the truth I don't really care either way with Pyr Sheps, I do like the nubby butts though.
Yep! That is the traditional crop for the breed but yeah, you can only really see it on the SFs and the demis. It requires almost no after care either, which is kind of nice as far as cropping go. People do get asked what happened to their dog's ears though :/

Here's another one:
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Here's another one:
I am really happy that the two Pyr Sheps I know personally have their ears and tails! I couldn't imagine either of them without!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Yep! That is the traditional crop for the breed but yeah, you can only really see it on the SFs and the demis. It requires almost no after care either, which is kind of nice as far as cropping go. People do get asked what happened to their dog's ears though :/

Here's another one:
What is the benefit of this crop? I'm genuinely curious because it just looks kind of... dumb to me.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Twin 2

I want a Pyr Shep and I want it to have not cropped ears but for them to be pricked up anyways. And then I shall be happy.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

I personally would never do it unless for medical reasons. However, I hold no qualms against people that choose to do it, SO LONG as they have a vet do it and don't try attempting it themselves.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
What is the benefit of this crop? I'm genuinely curious because it just looks kind of... dumb to me.
It's to keep the tips from freezing off in the mountains while they work sheep.

Honestly, a crop like, while not particularly aesthetic, is more sensical than modern show crops.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I cannot even wrap my mind around cropping and docking, i cannot see it as anything but mutilation. I love ears and the end of the spine being cut of makes me want to weep.
Ears are beautiful.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
It's to keep the tips from freezing off in the mountains while they work sheep.

Honestly, a crop like, while not particularly aesthetic, is more sensical than modern show crops.
Yep that was my thoughts too. Not as pretty but more functional. In most roughs you really can't see it either.

I want my pyrshep to be natural all around. It seems like there are options out there but some of the breeders I like do crop or dock.