Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Gsp, gsp, gsp!

They're so much fun. They're clowns, they're biddable, they do like to be active and entertained, but are also major sofa hoggers. They're low maintenance on grooming, very people orientated (they love company and can be a bit needy, but you like that, as do I!), but need to be introduced to people first (ie don't rush people like a lab might, bit more into their own people). And they're GORGEOUS.

They love romping with other dogs, generally aren't DA. They're not known for barking, but obviously individuals vary! There is minimal drool. They're clever, but not Wiley like some breeds. I don't think they plot your demise like a collie might... They're more.... If I open that door I can get food.... Open the door nom nom.

Faults.... None so far! Errrr... Guess it depends what you really want. They are active, they can be destructive when bored, they use their feet like paddles and I am COVERED in bruises. People say they can disappear when out and about, but all the ones I've met have been pretty obedient, I think it's more of a case of lack of training. You do need to train a gsp, they don't come naturally good. No training will lead to a very difficult dog to live with. They can be stubborn, you can't always TELL them what to do, but they generally do what you want once you work out how to ask for it

But I'm hooked. I want another one. Now. Soon... When Fred is a little older and we've got more stuff done with him, I'm already thinking about our second!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 AM
Vizsla mom

GSP& Vizslas are very similar ..except Vizslas are better

Just kidding I just came here to ask is Fred the little brown guy in your signature? I've heard of solid liver GSPs but never seen one! Love him
Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
GSP& Vizslas are very similar ..except Vizslas are better

Just kidding I just came here to ask is Fred the little brown guy in your signature? I've heard of solid liver GSPs but never seen one! Love him
I propose a duel!

Yes, that's him when he first came home. He's 6 months now he's mostly solid but has a bit of light ticking on his undercarriage and legs. Our first gsp and definitely not our last.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Vizsla mom

Well, I absolutely love him And Penny will take that duel offer and fight either until her death or until her and Fred are best friends ahaha most likely the second option unless she manages to either play or kiss him to death
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Top Dog

My parents GSP drools (so does the Vizsla) and it's special - shiny and dries with a really slick finish lol It's nasty, not my thing. I have heard that there is a difference in drooliness from show lines to hunting lines though? Their dog is straight hunting stock (both of them). He is however very, very, very happy, friendly, social, outgoing, stable - environmentally and mentally. He is very playful and in general a really active, amusing dog. The drool - icky though!

I would suggest a Koolie, but perhaps too friendly and energetic? My Kelpie would fit your criteria but he's the only Kelpie I know personally (I only know three) that would. He's aloof but social. He has good energy - can hike and run with me but doesn't "need" to do anything as he'll entertain himself for HOURS. Literally. He's quite independent though and while very, very affectionate, not at all a velcro dog...hmmmmm....

I'm obviously a HUGE GSD fan But, I'm not sure you could avoid the reactivity issues...my saving grace is that almost nothing will convince Kastle that he should out his ball so when meeting new dogs (like fosters or new additions), I just give him a ball and he's fine until they have a lot of time together and then he's good with no ball. Once he understands they've been 'added' he'll do a lot to tolerate even horrendous behavior.

What about a showline Malinois? I've met a few in AKC agility and flyball and they were super nice dogs (obviously you need to make sure their not nervy...I've seen some Mals go too far the other way and end up with no drive and serious shyness). Moderate drive, good speed, nice build and coat, aloof but safe...

What about a Newfy? Big and friendly...although again, drool. What about some of the other bird dogs? Brittany Spaniel?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post

Personally, my suggestion is that since you are so open to pretty much anything, you not worry about breed, and get a rescue from a shelter. Just go in, and see what speaks to you.
This^

Also as much as I love my Newfie, she does not fare well when it comes to hiking and being outdoors, shes a huge couch potatoe. Most of them are.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 AM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Personally, my suggestion is that since you are so open to pretty much anything, you not worry about breed, and get a rescue from a shelter. Just go in, and see what speaks to you.
I second this suggestion.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Rescue is definitely a best bet, also agree.

Not sure if there's difference in drooling between lines! I'd say there is a little, but like I said its minimal, and certainly no more than any other dogs we've owned. Not big strings of it or splats! He drools when he's stressed, but even then it's not big gobs of it.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I wouldn't recommend a Malinois. I honestly don't for anyone who's not actively seeking them but the potential for lack if sociability and dog intolerance is there. The energy is over the top and annoyingly demanding for most owners.

I think Flyn has the best idea, since the criteria is "nice stable, fun, dog" I would go to a shelter and shop. If you happen to find a purebred that's cool but if not you are bound to find the perfect mix.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

I think a mix would be a good choice, since your requirements aren't super specific and you don't need a dog to fit a very specific niche (sports, protection, service dog) in your life.

A ridgeback might be something to look into, as well...although I've seen quite a few get 100+ lbs.

Are you definitely looking for a puppy, or would a young dog suit you?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com