Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: How are disagreements gotten over at your house?
A simple apology is enough. 40 93.02%
Labor or service normally fixes the problem. 0 0%
GIFTS!!! Who doesn't love gifts? 0 0%
A combination of the above. 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

If we have a disagreement, an apology is enough, coupled with actions that actually show the other that we really are indeed sorry.

Course, I can't really think of any one time we've actually "faught".

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
How does the 'guilty party' normally make it up?
With an apology. Matt's much better at accepting apologies than I am. Usually it takes me awhile to let go of being angry and accept that he's sorry. Gifts feel like bribery to me and my anger will not be bought.

I've always gone by my dad's rule: if someone is wrong and they apologize and the apology is sincere then you HAVE to accept it and move on. And while moving on doesn't necessarily mean forgetting it does mean that you can't bring it up at every opportunity and throw it in the other person's face. However if they're just apologizing so they can say they did you're free to say **** 'em and hold a grudge for as long as you want.

It's really important to me for people to own their actions. When I apologize I say "I was wrong to do <such and such> and I'm really sorry that I hurt your feelings. Please forgive me." It bothers me when people don't state what they're apologizing for and WHY they were wrong.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
We just admit it if we were wrong and/or say sorry. Or we come to a compromise. No tokens or dramatic actions required. We also never go to bed angry, so no time to buy gifts.
Why do they say not to go to bed angry? I have always wondered why they say not to. My OH & I have I admit, gone to bed angry before, but not in a while.

I posted something in the venting thread that was relationship related because I didn't see this one lol ... But I guess this really isn't a venting thread.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Obey the Toad.

An apology-it takes a lot for DH to admit fault and apologize, so I think that's fair. I would also accept a puppy as a token of apology

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Why do they say not to go to bed angry? I have always wondered why they say not to. My OH & I have I admit, gone to bed angry before, but not in a while.
I know a lot of people won't go to bed angry because, well, there's no guarantee that you will wake up, and they don't want to leave their partner without resolving the issue.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 PM
& the Muttly Crew

If we argue it's usually not a right vs. wrong sort of thing...it's more about having different perspectives or goals or something like that. Honestly we are in pretty close alignment on the big things so a major argument is very very rare...I can think of only one in all the years we've been married. So really it's a matter of hearing each other out and understanding why...and then we can usually come up with some sort of compromise.

While we disagree on things, it's not very often that we are actually angry at each other, if that makes sense.

That said if we did argue and hubby attempted to "make up" by buying me something, I would be furious lol. Fortunately he has never done that. Smart man

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I selected all of the above. Usually a simple apology is honestly fine by both of us, but often times there's an apology along with one of the other options.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Brian and I never really have intense fights, nor fights that last for more than a day. Sometimes we bicker and have little fights about how we don't agree with the way the other does something (usually dog related, admittedly) and we sit down and frown and argue until we come to a compromise/apology... we never go to bed angry, either. I couldn't do that... I need things to be OK between me and whomever I'm fighting with, I can't just let stuff go unless it's SUPER insignificant.

Then make up sex. Just cause. Usually neither of us has anything to really make up for... just differences in opinion. It would be weird if we bought each other gifts as an apology, I couldn't do that. Occasionally after a larger fight one of us will go and get the other a card and some sort of little sentiment to remind the other of how much we mean to each other though. That's AFTER the apology and the dust has cleared though.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Why shouldn't you go to bed angry? Because it just makes it worse. No one gets any sleep, you stew on it all night and then the next day not only are you still angry but you are angry and sleep deprived.

We are watching the "love and respect series" at church and it is really awesome. I totally recommend it whether you are religious or secular. Emerson (i don't know his last name) is really good. He is FUNNY and he really gets his message across without being preachy or aanything. Lots of good info about how to get out of these fight cycles that couples can fall into

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Obey the Toad.

I actually tend to calm down and get more rational when I have slept on an argument.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.