Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Bite Club

We are setting up our birth pool this weekend - the countdown is on!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
We are setting up our birth pool this weekend - the countdown is on!
How exciting!! I have a weird question - where will your dogs be during the birth? When we were contemplating a home birth I couldn't quite figure out what we'd do with ours. I'm pretty sure that they would all be very concerned and quite attentive (/annoying lol). And that translates into crate barking if they're crated so....I never quite figured it out.

I can't believe you're in the final countdown already. I only have 8-10 weeks left. O_o

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
How exciting!! I have a weird question - where will your dogs be during the birth? When we were contemplating a home birth I couldn't quite figure out what we'd do with ours. I'm pretty sure that they would all be very concerned and quite attentive (/annoying lol). And that translates into crate barking if they're crated so....I never quite figured it out.

I can't believe you're in the final countdown already. I only have 8-10 weeks left. O_o
We are setting up our basement for the birth, and the dogs will be upstairs crated during active labour and when the midwives and doula show up. My husband or mom will let them out for potty breaks but they will stay upstairs in their crates for the rest of the time. I am expecting a lot of whining from Riley but he will just have to deal. Aura is fine in her crate and usually always quiet.

Hopefully we can wear them out good before the active labour begins. That'll be my husbands job as well!

2 weeks until my due date. I'm hoping she will stay put until then but I can't imagine going overdue at this point either. I'm really close to being "done" with the pregnancy part of things!!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Top Dog

There's a 30% C-section rate in the US?!? Good Lord...I thought it was high, but I also thought it was like...10%.

I'm really scared I'm going to be pressured into either a c-section, induction, even hooking me up to 4 trillion machines and not letting me walk around, because of my medical history. I also don't particularly want to give birth lying on my back. That just seems like completely the opposite of how bodies and gravity works.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Kotah BEAR

We need baby belly pictures
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Behavior Nerd

Have you looked into various birth classes mm?They can give you lots of resources for identifying what you can do to minimize some of the interventions. A doula might be helpful as well...

You can look up c-sec rates for individual states/hospitals here: http://www.cesareanrates.com/ - be warned that it is pretty startling.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
We are setting up our basement for the birth, and the dogs will be upstairs crated during active labour and when the midwives and doula show up. My husband or mom will let them out for potty breaks but they will stay upstairs in their crates for the rest of the time. I am expecting a lot of whining from Riley but he will just have to deal. Aura is fine in her crate and usually always quiet.

Hopefully we can wear them out good before the active labour begins. That'll be my husbands job as well!

2 weeks until my due date. I'm hoping she will stay put until then but I can't imagine going overdue at this point either. I'm really close to being "done" with the pregnancy part of things!!
Ah that sounds like an excellent plan. Would Riley be quiet if he had some sort of super fantastic Kong in there with him? Kongs are playing a large part in my planning for the two weeks after having this kid.

You are a stronger lady than me - I am not really enjoying being pregnant and I've already started thinking about all the things I'll be able to do normally again. Like...walking. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Have you looked into various birth classes mm?They can give you lots of resources for identifying what you can do to minimize some of the interventions. A doula might be helpful as well...
Definitely. At the very least talk to your doctor about your wishes and write up a birth plan that they will agree to, and keep it with you when you are at the hospital. Make sure the nurses see it, etc. Keep it short and polite! Obviously in a true case of emergency/complication things will change but if there is no risk to you or baby, insist that your wishes be respected!

Having at least a family member with you that will advocate for you would be good as well during the times when you can't speak for yourself.

Google natural birth plans for lots of great templates and ideas of what to put on yours. (I can share mine too if you'd like).

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Ah that sounds like an excellent plan. Would Riley be quiet if he had some sort of super fantastic Kong in there with him? Kongs are playing a large part in my planning for the two weeks after having this kid.

You are a stronger lady than me - I am not really enjoying being pregnant and I've already started thinking about all the things I'll be able to do normally again. Like...walking. Lol.
Walking is challenging right now Everything involving moving is actually. I just keep thinking that it could be a lot worse... if the only thing I have to deal with is some bad hip/pelvic pain, I can survive! I haven't had any complications so I feel lucky

Yeah we're going to stock up on bully sticks and frozen kongs I think. That should help take the edge off. Maybe slip a benadryl in one of them ? LOL

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Well, my hospital has some of the lowest C-section rates in the state, so I guess that's comforting...but it's also 33%, so....not really. But it's also one of the only hospitals in the area with a high risk team, so I guess that makes a difference, too.

I haven't signed up for a birthing class, yet, but I didn't consider they might help with concerns about medical intervention, so I'll definitely ask about that at whatever class I choose.

Here's a link, it's for NY hospitals but most of it is general info: http://www.choicesinchildbirth.org/r...h_NY_09-10.pdf

And Dak...I'd give you a belly picture...but I'm almost 6 months pregnant and I just look bloated This was from almost 2 weeks ago but there isn't much difference.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com